Author Topic: Small Spoons for Gills?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Small Spoons for Gills?
« on: Nov 12, 2014, 12:38 PM »
Generally, I use small jigs tipped with plastic or spikes in the winter, #10 or #12 moon glitters, gill pills or shrimpos. I'm wondering if anyone uses the small jigging spoons for in the winter. I have some small slender spoons and I know there are others available

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Re: Small Spoons for Gills?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2014, 03:42 PM »
the spoons i make were killing the big gill last year. dont get many small one because of the spoon size but still was hammering them all season long, with or without bait.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2014, 03:55 PM »
I catch a lot of gills while fishing for crappie using slender spoons, and little cecils.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Have found over the years that Big 'Gills act and respond more like a Crappie than their smaller relatives. Small spoons and the smaller Jiggin' Raps often do a number on them when the more standard offerings only make them a little curious. Not a written stone approach but worth a try at times

Offline Le4ge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:33 PM »
I heard to use small jigs tipped with a minnow head.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:58 PM »
bad dog spoons sold by jamminjigs.com i think i got it in a 12 or a 14 it is a micro spoon i switch out the treble hook for a single hook for spikes and waxies work awesome...see link could throw a soft plastic tale on it to on the single hook.. minnow etc... etc... 

http://www.jamminjigs.com/lazer-eye-willow-12/

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Northland Forage  Minnow 1/32 killer gill spoon.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:55 AM »
i do well with the smallest Frostee jigging spoon in either chartreuse glow or blue glow.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:01 AM »
If I'm not using plastics I will usually have a 1/16 oz slender spoon tipped with a couple waxies or spikes - caught some real big gills and crappie on the slender last year.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Just got some small CJ&S spoons ...going to try a vertalzontal rigging of my plastics(plastic bait 90 deg to the treble hook) for gills  ..I saw an on line seminar where the instructor was stating its the way to go for big gills . Gills (small and large)in my area do hit big baits, minnows on tip ups and larger spoons quite regularly .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline r3foxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Northland Forage  Minnow 1/32 killer gill spoon.
+1 . I always have one tied on. They're great for finding fish, and when the bite slows its a great bait to hole hop and pick up fish. I always change the hooks out to a 14 treble, the ones that come on them are junk.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:32 AM »
The lil cecils are great! Also use forage spoons, frostee spoons, size 10 moon jigs and demon style jigs

I catch a lot of late fall (last week) and early spring bulls on a standard 1/32 or 1/16" ball jig and big fat waxies

Catchin' Fish

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I also like the forage minnow and replace the treble with a single hook; usually a 8 or 10 Octopus. One of my favorites for crappie as well. Also the same set up on the smallest Kastmaster; either tipped with wax worms or spikes.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:52 AM »
I actually did really well on the smallest Customer Jigs & Spins spoon (1/16oz) with the small treble hook tipped with spikes a week ago. I noticed that fish that hit the spoon hit more aggressively that the fish that hit the ratso I was using on the other rod.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:23 AM »
I have caught quite a few gills on a small Swedish Pimple.  I switch out the treble for either a single hook or a single hook on a short dropper.  Always have a rod rigged with one or the other. 
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Piscatror

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Caught a few on the small lindy frostee with a small treble hook and maggots. When that quit working a 3mm gold tungsten jig with a couple of maggots picked up the bite again.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2014, 07:13 AM »
I have caught some big gill's with dropper rigs.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline Miller52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:26 PM »
spoons are great for big gills and if you are fishing where there are crappies you will get them just the same normally.

check this video out for gills on spoons

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:01 PM »
I usually have a demon jig or a fairy jig tied on for gills. Tip with a Berkeley honey worm.
jbird68

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Hali's are my favorite they sink like boulder and work great. I also use sweedish pimples and the slender spoons but no later what I always have 1 rod with a hali on it and 1 with a jigging rap sometimes those big gills want big baits not always but sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.