Author Topic: Looking for a gill rod  (Read 10093 times)

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for a gill rod
« Reply #30 on: Nov 23, 2010, 12:24 PM »
I am looking into the Frabill Ice Hunter 26" Quick Tip for gills. Walt & Poppee Matan from Custom Jigs designed it. They also designed a 40" Quick Tip which would be great for hole hopping.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:37 PM »
that is one thing I always appreciated about Jason, if you have a rod issue or question, he answers all calls and emails personally. nothing better then getting your info right from the source

yep you are gonna be very hard pressed to find someone else that takes customer service more serisouly than jason. The few times I have had to e-mail him he has always resolved the problem ASAP.

J-

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:38 PM »
Got 2 of the frabill 27" quick tips and love them. Just got one of the Frabill Ice Hunter Walt and Poppee 40" quick tips. What a nice rod!!! I think this is gonna be my favorite along with my custom made 37" in line.  Fin

Offline getn jiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 25, 2010, 02:20 PM »
the reels are no good, slightly better then the reels you get on a a genz stix combo but not much. I learned a few years back buy the rod not the combo

Reeds had a special on JM Meatstick combos, buy 2 get a free JM reel. I'm guessing the "free" reels are last years models as they are different from the new ones. New reels are 5 brg. where the old are 3. New ones are definately better reels, not top shelf
but adequate. Can't wait to try out the new Meatsticks, they look like they'll be awesom. 8)
45/70 Govt./ The only Govt. to be trusted.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:10 PM »
My fav rig is a willow branch, kite string & safety pin. The sensitivity of this combo is incredible  ;)

Seriously, my go-to gilly rod is a Cabelas XML 24" Light
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Baxter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I like the HT Ice Blue rods and i have a couple other HT rods but I'm not sure of the names.I also have some of the hand over hand type-2 schooley spring bobber rods and 2 from Dickey Tackle Company.
HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Offline slab_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 18, 2010, 07:51 AM »
My vote also goes to the St. Croix Legend series. The UL model works great for me.
I also carry a Frabill Amplifier. If you can find 'em, the South Bend Black Ice series is a great value for the $. IM7 graphite for under $20.  Unfortunately, I think they may have discontinued that particular model, as I have not seen 'em on the shelves 4 awhile.
It's not about luck, it's skill & determination

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:57 PM »
I am also looking for a gill rod.  I am looking for a good rod that is ultra lite and 30-40 inches and under $40.  Any suggestions?
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Just purchased a 18in. Jason Mitchell micro bite and took it out on its maiden voyage last week,great rod,worked the gills over pretty good with it.Love the spring bobber on this thing.Want another one but it was the last one at gander and haven't seen one just like it on the internet.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:43 PM »
I am also looking for a gill rod.  I am looking for a good rod that is ultra lite and 30-40 inches and under $40.  Any suggestions?

Frabill Ice Hunter 40" Quick Tip combo #6787 retails for $39.99 and the rod #6777 for $29.99

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:11 PM »
I just picked-up two of the Frabill Ice Hunter 22" Quick-tips.  The tip is in fact very sensitive.  Was able to catch plenty of bluegills today with no spring bobber attached.  My son and I absolutely loved these things and would highly recommend them.

pannyjigger.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:36 AM »
the Thorne Bros Quiverstick is a very sweet gill rod.  It is extremely light, wicked sensitive tip, and some back bone for the larger pannies. Awesome rod!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.