The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Who else uses a hard sided shanty??  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
Who else uses a hard sided shanty??
« on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Hey everyone, I was just curious how many other MT fisherfolk use big hard sided shanties when they ice fish.  I see tons of pop ups and flip overs on the ice but very rarely see home made shanties. 

I went all out and built mine like a permy but on skids so I can move it around, super cozy and these recent negative temps are no match for the wood stove.  I fish in a t shirt and pj pants haha.

Offline RAD594

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Who else uses a hard sided shanty??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:39 PM »
That really looks nice. How do you transport it off the ice?  Is it heavy? I like the camera screen shot

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:08 PM »
I have a 6x12 trailer it loads onto and my quad goes in the back of my pickup.  If you are wearing actual ice cleats or crampons you can pull by hand.  With all of my gear inside it weighs 375lbs. 

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2017, 03:44 PM »
Very nice,looks like it could double as a sauna.
Dont ask

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Very nice,looks like it could double as a sauna.

Haha, we tried that this weekend.  Didn't work so great.

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Nice! Any pictures of the outside?

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:01 PM »
This is before the remodel on the inside but that's the outside.

Offline mountana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:31 PM »
For me it's about mobility, the lack of a trailer and the lack of an ATV that I don't have a "solid" house. I grew up fishing out of a not fancy plywood box which my father offered me and I turned down although it worked just fine. He would park it in one spot all winter regardless if there were any fish or not. I've bought a Clam voyager, I've owned it for a couple of years and have been happy with, I can load/unload it myself and move it as my fancy electronics dictate( Dad didn't have that). The key here is electronics, you no longer need to sit on a spot that isn't producing, move until you find the fish.

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:49 AM »
For me it's about mobility, the lack of a trailer and the lack of an ATV that I don't have a "solid" house. I grew up fishing out of a not fancy plywood box which my father offered me and I turned down although it worked just fine. He would park it in one spot all winter regardless if there were any fish or not. I've bought a Clam voyager, I've owned it for a couple of years and have been happy with, I can load/unload it myself and move it as my fancy electronics dictate( Dad didn't have that). The key here is electronics, you no longer need to sit on a spot that isn't producing, move until you find the fish.

I understand the lack of portability, and I'd still love to have a sled style flipover for early and late season when ice starts to go.  But even with this thing as big as it is I can push or pull it by myself across the ice and through non crusted snow.  And another plus is temps and wind are a non issue when you are in a big hard sided shanty.

Offline 777IHC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:08 AM »
That looks really nice, solid work! I’ve always wanted to build one. I had always thought if I built it nice enough I could utilize it as an overnight fishing sleeper or a spike camp.

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:21 PM »
I can camp in this no problem, I built it so a folding cot can fit between the wall and the bench.  Can't fish while sleeping but you could have tip ups out.  Once spring hits in building version 2.0 that I'll be able to sleep at least 2 or 3 in it while still being fairly portable.

Offline MNinMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Wife and I got one with aluminum frame for ice fishing and taking camping in the summer. Use it on the river at home and take to Peck and Nelson to base camp from. Had it in Yellowstone this spring for 7 days. Not usually enough ice to drag it around on the reservoirs and fish from but when my buddies and I travel we use it to camp from and then run and gun from portables. Beats a hotel room and drive back to town that's for sure.

We take trips to MN lakes also.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:34 PM »
I would, but my wife would have a fit because it would be nicer than the bathroom and kitchen upgrades she’s been asking for l...

Nice looking shack, thanks for sharing.

Offline OldguyfromMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Never been in a hard sided shanty, but these sure look nice.

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Was out on Frances all day today, temps never got above 0, stayed a steady 80 degrees in the shanty and watched all kinds of fish on the underwater camera.  Pulled a little rough through all the snow but was worth it to get out for the new year.  I doubt I'll ever go without a hard sided shanty.  Takes a bit longer to load and unload but the comfort is awesome!

Offline MNinMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Walleye, must have been someone else. I didn't make it up there until January last year.

Offline nutinbutjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Real Nice! How much does it weigh?

Offline MNinMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:35 PM »
3,400 #
8’x16’ w, 4’ v front 20’ overall.
Sleeps and fishes 4 comfortably.