The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Racetrack Pond?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline EsoxLucius100

• IceShanty Rookie
Racetrack Pond?
« on: Jan 02, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Anyone know anything about Racetrack pond, next to Racetrack exit by Deerlodge? last year I fished it a few times and mostly caught a lot of tiny perch. One afternoon I did land 2 nice rainbows and a big sucker. I tried to repeat this but didn't catch anything the next 2 times I went. I then went one time last week (first time there this season) and only caught 3 tiny perch. I'm actually looking for a place to catch more suckers for Ling bait, and the trout last year were a bonus on this pond. Anybody know anything about this pond?

Offline SnowedOutMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Racetrack Pond?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:22 PM »
I fished it a few times last year. Caught a real nice whitefish out of there one day and some rainbows that were a bit over 12" Someone told me they caught some perch big enough to keep and eat, but I've only ever seen tiny ones in there. On the north end it gets over 10 ft deep and that's where I've had the best luck. I've never tried to catch suckers on purpose, just once by accident. Seems like its always pretty windy there. Good luck out there.
That fish that took my pole down the hole is having a much worse day than I am.

Offline EsoxLucius100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:24 PM »
Thanks SnowedOut. I have drilled holes all over the pond, but haven't caught anything except in 6-8' of water on the South side by the peninsula. Yeah it is often windy out there! Do you know of any other ponds in the area? I'm in Butte and there isn't much icefishing without driving over to Georgetown (or Canyon Ferry or Clark Canyon...). I really like Delmoe for icefishing, but I'm assuming there is no way to drive a truck in there by now so I haven't been up there since early December.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Thanks SnowedOut. I have drilled holes all over the pond, but haven't caught anything except in 6-8' of water on the South side by the peninsula. Yeah it is often windy out there! Do you know of any other ponds in the area? I'm in Butte and there isn't much icefishing without driving over to Georgetown (or Canyon Ferry or Clark Canyon...). I really like Delmoe for icefishing, but I'm assuming there is no way to drive a truck in there by now so I haven't been up there since early December.
Hey Esox, I know this post is old but I too am looking for some suckers to catch ling. Im gonna try what you said and stop in there here soon after hitting g-town and try my luck on catching some. Ive also been told that maney lake just north of elk park has a decent population of suckers but I have yet to try it out either. Have you since found a decent sucker spot in winter since posting this? either way ill post back here when I have tried out these spots!
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it swims ive caught it
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Hey Esox, I know this post is old but I too am looking for some suckers to catch ling. Im gonna try what you said and stop in there here soon after hitting g-town and try my luck on catching some. Ive alsobeen told that maney lake just north of elk park has a decent population of suckers but I have yet to try it out either. Have you since found a decent sucker spot in winter since posting this? either way ill post back here when I have tried out these spots!
Maney has lots of suckers very shallow if u go where the bridge is don’t cross it and go more toward the middle lay worms on bottom also lots of small trout
if it bites I chase it

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Thanks Trout hounder! I'll give it a try this weekend. Do they bite all day or as usual just early in the morning/late in the day?
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2018, 04:01 AM »
Depends on there mood I’m heading up there later today
if it bites I chase it

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:59 AM »
How did it turn out for you trout hounder? I ended up at g-town this last weekend and had a shack next to me give me a small sucker but still would like to have more haha.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2018, 01:57 AM »
How did it turn out for you trout hounder? I ended up at g-town this last weekend and had a shack next to me give me a small sucker but still would like to have more haha.
went to Delmoe with family we did pretty good there probably gonna head north for some good fish and not the nasty trout
if it bites I chase it

Offline cashnasty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:17 PM »
Good evening guys, I actually live about five minutes from that pond. We have fished it four times this season with everything from 12 fish days to a skunk. We have only caught trout,all planter size and that’s it. I fished it a few years back when the family owned it and you use to catch a little of everything. We have fished from 6-18’ of water. Hope that helps your sucker hunt.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Thanks for the info cashnasty! I tried to fish it last weekend but I didn't have enough tread on my tires or faith in my little pickup to get past the first snow drift and cattle guard haha.
― Ernest Hemingway

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.