The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: High Wind Warning for Central Montana  (Read 566 times)

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
High Wind Warning for Central Montana
« on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:35 PM »
To all of you ice warriors in Central Montana be advised that ice fishing conditions on Saturday could prove to be extremely treacherous:

A little over three hours ago the National Weather Service issued a High Wind Warning for Central Montana with possible Southwest winds of 40 to 50 mph, gusts to 70 mph, and isolated gusts near 90 mph in favored canyons and passes.

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=82caaea191611117&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

http://forecast.weather.gov/hazards/?wfo=tfx

As of right now it appears to be 64 degrees at the Silos Recreation Area on Canyon Ferry with Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. I was planning on heading to Clark Canyon Reservoir tomorrow and gave Tyler from Rocky Mountain Supply in Dillon a call. He said that the wind was blowing steadily at 22 mph and gusting over 30 mph which has started to chew up the shoreline ice that had already begun to rapidly deteriorate last week and advised me not to make the trip down there. He also noted that many of the locals had started pulling their ice shanties off Clark Canyon as early as last week.

For all of those headed to the 10th Annual Hell Creek Ice Fishing Tournament the unseasonably warm temperatures in the 50's in Jordan, MT are no help but it appears that you will miss the brunt of the wind. Hopefully, the ice on the main lake will hold for the tournament.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but wanted to pass along the word to all of my fellow ice fisherman out there. The High Wind Warning is for Central Montana, but ice fisherman statewide should take notice and be mindful of the rapidly changing conditions.

Stay safe and good luck ice fishing if you do venture out!

Offline chumley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: High Wind Warning for Central Montana
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Helena's forecast does not look to be that bad, as it is calling for 10 mph winds.  Although, I think I will stick close to shore and fish for trout, and leave the perch and walleye for more adventurous souls. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.