Author Topic: Baiting Your Hook  (Read 698 times)

Offline Phfactor

• IceShanty Rookie
Baiting Your Hook
« on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:33 PM »
Hey ya'll, I was on the jaw jacker site in the "tips section" and I noticed their advice on tipping a jig with bait.  http://www.jawjackerfishing.com/tips.php

I noticed that they recommend leaving some of the hook exposed.  Growing up, I was always taught to cover/hide the hook.  I dont know if that is the right way to do things - its just the way I've always done it.  I've ice fished quite a bit over the past 3 years and haven't had any trouble catching fish under that notion; however, what would you all recommend?  How do you tip your jigs with bait???

Offline Solist

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Baiting Your Hook
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Depends on what my bait is. If it is a frozen chunk of sucker meat I leave some hook exposed. If I am using a waxy I hide the hook. If I am fishing for kokes I leave the hook bare sometimes. ;D

Offline Phfactor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:06 PM »
Thanks Solist.  Any other thoughts?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:20 PM »
I think for the jackers they want some exposed hook to increase your catch rates. I myself like to cover the hook in almost all situations with the exception as solist said. Sometimes that frozen bait (especially the skin) may cause you not get a good hookset  :'(
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Phfactor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Thanks guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.