New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096299 times)

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
yea that's Harriman for ya if the tourist would stop swimming in the lake they ain't supposed to be swimming in during the summer and drowning they wouldn't be so anal about safe ice used to be 4" is safe ice now it's 6" in both Harriman and Sterling....anyone herd about Sterling yet did they close ice also?
I called yesterday and they said Sterling, Harriman, and Bear Mountain all closed
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Harriman is micromanaged because of the proximity to our metropolitan friends. Used to Ice fish down there a lot, rightfully so, I had lots of curious folks come ask what I was doing. That's fine, but they always would do stupid stuff that would jeopardize our chances of being out there. I live in the wrong state! Idaho here I come, I wish!!!
Pond behind the house has rotted ice at my spill way and around the edges, otherwise looks good but I did not drill a hole yet to see. River behind my place sounded like a freight train crash last night with the ice breaking up and roaring down.
Careful out there today, please provide some updates on conditions. Might head out tomorrow but definitely Monday.
No comments about Loch Dumplake?  :-\

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Me and a couple friends tried Round lake today. We went right off the boat launch, what a waste of time , not even one nibble. Did have a visit from a very nice DEC officer doing routine checks. I think I’m going to head to Superior tomorrow, hopefully the winds will die down.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
LONG ISLAND ICE FISHERMEN!!!!  Could use some input.....  Does anybody know where I can buy live minnows in Nassau County or Western Suffolk????   Want to fish Ronkonkoma but can't find bait !!!

Offline GreekUPS

• IceShanty Rookie
LONG ISLAND ICE FISHERMEN!!!!  Could use some input.....  Does anybody know where I can buy live minnows in Nassau County or Western Suffolk????   Want to fish Ronkonkoma but can't find bait !!!

Maybe a pet store?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

from the bait shop map link...not sure if still in bussiness

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154985.0

Causeway Bait & Tackle
Owner Mike
They carry EVERYTHING for both Saltwater & Freshwater fishing. Nice Fresh Bait, too !!
3031 Merrick Rd, Wantagh, NY 11793
+1 516-321-0555

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
from the bait shop map link...not sure if still in bussiness

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154985.0

Causeway Bait & Tackle
Owner Mike
They carry EVERYTHING for both Saltwater & Freshwater fishing. Nice Fresh Bait, too !!
3031 Merrick Rd, Wantagh, NY 11793
+1 516-321-0555

Causeway is still open, but I don't believe they carry live shiners. I'm pretty sure that the bait shop at the location of the old fisherman's deli carries live shiners: 1315 W. Main St. Riverhead, NY

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
teamed up with Dave237 to try and catch some fish today found solid ice one round lake like he stated with no luck any input on superior headed that way tomorrow...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Fished today for pretty much all day... had my hub set up and then about a 40mph gust came through and I hear pop pop.... tie down strings broke luckily that was all that broke.... I'll be buying paracord tomorrow.... luckily we could see our tip-ups from the truck when we weren't jigging and it wasn't that far of a run to get the flags. Anyway fished a private lake I have access to managed 17 pickerel, 10 or so bass 8 of which were 19"-20" and 7 or so perch all were under 7" except one 12" perch..... was a banner day of bass fishing. Here are a couple pictures from today.....

]

Caught some heavier bass but didn't take pictures of them cause the wind chill was so dang cold and I left my phone in the truck lol

Ice was anywhere from 6"-10" of clear black ice it was making ice all day. Edges were sketchy early but firmed up by 4pm. All edges should be good to go again after the cold temps tonight

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Superior is usually pretty slow mid-season ice fishing. Gonna be fishing a private lake up in Sullivan tomorrow, will report back with ice conditions.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
NYBasser any suggestions on a good public lake we could try in Sullivan other than Superior?  Does anybody fish Kiemisha Lake? I’m not a fan of  Morningside, does anybody fish Swan Lake?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
NYBasser any suggestions on a good public lake we could try in Sullivan other than Superior?  Does anybody fish Kiemisha Lake? I’m not a fan of  Morningside, does anybody fish Swan Lake?

Lake Huntington ..EZPZ access..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular

The only two decent public lakes that I have fished are Swinging Bridge and Superior. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't had much time to explore Sullivan County, as its a 2.5 hr drive for me each way. I usually hit Superior early season then switch to Swinging Bridge mid-season. I heard from a buddy that they dropped the water level 20ft at SB Reservoir this year and the fishing has been off so I haven't even bothered trying it. My friend said that perch fishing at white lake has been pretty good, if you know where to find the holes. (I have no idea, I don't fish White Lake).

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
We hit White lake up today and thank god for the ice anchors 😂😂😂. If it wasn't for the 35+ mph winds it would of been a decent day 😂😂. I had the clam anchored down and the strong winds actually bent my anchors . We managed some pickerel and lost a nice eye at the hole. The lake was making ice today and we had a good 11 to 12 inches of hard water.
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Foot went through trying to walk out on Chodikee, walked out on the dock, less than 2" at the end. Main lake looks solid.
Went to a higher elevation pond and measured 7.5-10", only managed a 10" yellow perch.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
fished in orange county to edges we're weak sled fell thru walking off but center ice was solid 6-8" of ice  only managed 1 yellow perch on a flag when we first set up no action the rest of the day

Offline T-Rain08

• IceShanty Rookie
Why does the Loudmouth measure frozen bass on the ice? 

Offline setthook

• IceShanty Rookie
Ive been wondering why he measures anything. All the fish are small. Dude just throw those bass back in the hole. They're outta season and you're killing all these fish just to show that your catching something. Its pointless. Especially measuring 8 to 9 inch crappies and yellows. Come on now. You should know better

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm glad someone called him out on this.
Dude, you're a good fisherman.
No need to show the out-of-season fish and dinks.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hit a lake up in Sullivan County today with my buddy Kevin, we had about 7 - 10 inches of solid black ice. The rain cleared off all of the snow that was on top of the ice. Set up 6 tipups and had constant action with bass for the first half of the day, had a flag every 5-10 minutes or so. The tipup-fishing died down in the afternoon, probably due to the holes freezing up and the flags not tripping. Also tried jigging around and had decent action with perch and crappie. Iced some real slob perch, biggest 3 were around 12-13", average size was probably 11", and a 13" crappie. Also had a couple bass on the jig rod that went back. The bite was good in the morning, but the fish became real finicky in the afternoon and evening. Wasn't the lights-out bite I was looking for but we were able to put some real decent fish on the ice. Best part of the day was getting to test out my new Marcum LX-7 and RAZR 24V Lithium Auger. The auger was a real treat, cut through the ice like butter and after I punched probably 40-50 holes, the battery indictor still read 4/4 bars. Looking forward to getting in maybe another trip or so next week before I head back to Wisconsin for college.

Offline LilWeez

• IceShanty Rookie
If I fished the private lake that he fished all the time I would be pissed. No need to take pictures of bass when it's that cold out, you see what happens to panfish when you throw them on the ice. NOT COOL DUDE!

Offline T-Rain08

• IceShanty Rookie
 I totally agree, who gives a damn what you caught on a private lake?  I guess some people need to try and boost their egos...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Ahh! looks like I brought out the lurkers...

If I fished the private lake that he fished all the time I would be pissed. No need to take pictures of bass when it's that cold out, you see what happens to panfish when you throw them on the ice. NOT COOL DUDE!

Why does the Loudmouth measure frozen bass on the ice? 

I fish that private lake maybe once or twice a year.... 95% of my fishing is done on public waters.... None of the fish were "frozen" All the fish that I took pictures of were out of the water for no more than 5-15 seconds for the picture. We've have it down pretty good where the fish is out of the water for minimal time... as one of us is bringing the fish in the other gets the tape set up and camera ready to limit the time out of the water.... it was 20-25* that day but with the wind chill no matter what we did the tips of the fins would start to freeze (as seen in the photos). If you spent any amount of time ice fishing you would know this happens on any extremely cold day or days with severe wind chill.

I totally agree, who gives a damn what you caught on a private lake?  I guess some people need to try and boost their egos...

Not boosting my ego at all. I take pictures to share with family members who are unable to fish anymore due to old age, friends, and fellow fisherman. Also, since I'm not taking the fish home with me I want a way to preserve the memory.

Especially measuring 8 to 9 inch crappies. Come on now. You should know better

If it wasn't for measuring fish how would I know what's legal? I'm pretty sure most fisherman that plan on keeping fish measure most of the fish they catch so they don't get a ticket for undersized fish. That particular public lake I fished that day happens to have a lot of fishing pressure and in the past 5 years the biggest crappies I've caught out of there were 9"-10" and in the past we threw everyone back... this year I decided to keep some so sue me.... I have another crappie spot where we catch them regularly in the 13"-16" range which we ourselves impose a slot limit and only keep the 10"-12" crappie out of there. However, not everyone does that. Unfortunately for me I haven't been able to get out on my better crappie spot due to work and unsafe ice (it still had open water on it even with the brutal cold we had).

It's my opinion that overfishing is the issue there but some bodies of water, believe it or not, have too many of a particular species of fish in them for them to grow to any size due to the fact that there is not enough forage to support them. This along with a lack of a predator species could lead to a stunting of growth http://www.seafwa.org/14%20Bonvechio%20et%20al%2093-100.pdf...

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth, that 19" bass is a fat beauty, I bet it was fun to catch! nice job.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Red pimple with waxie, bouncing off bottom worked great yesterday.
Way too much fun catching these 14" perch (fattest was 1 lb 5 oz) with 3 lb test...

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Most lakes are private and great job slam them and post them real sportsman like to see them congrats

Offline Travis Rage

• IceShanty Rookie
I have so much line twist when I use a spinning reel and a pimple. Almost makes me want to go to an in-line reel. Once I get the jig in the water it’s
Spinning like no tomorrow .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I have so much line twist when I use a spinning reel and a pimple. Almost makes me want to go to an in-line reel. Once I get the jig in the water it’s
Spinning like no tomorrow .

A good ball bearing swivel will fix some spin ...also stretch out the line some .

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Re "Line Twist"...... a lot of people don't know this, but mono line has taken a "set" when it's on the factory spool.  It "remembers" this "set" when you spool it onto your reel.
TO REMOVE THIS LINE MEMORY..... after you spool up your reel, hold the filled spool under HOT running water in your sink for about 1 -2 minutes.  This will remove the old "memory" and eliminate a lot of line twist.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!

Right back down the hole.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.