New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096184 times)

Offline JDWMD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the tug is the drug
I caught that guy up in Big Pond. It had 4-5 inches of good ice. But with this cold weather hope that the NYC reservoirs lock up because thats your best bet for some big trout. Gamalot gave you some good info earlier. Some other good trout lakes are Walton and Hessian lake. Good luck and tightlines.
Thanks! 

Offline JDWMD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the tug is the drug
OUCH! Transplant to NYC from Utah and you need a new doctor! My condolences. Trout will be found on most of the NYC water supply reservoirs. Check the regs with the NYC DEP for the permit most require, one permit is good for all. Up here in Sullivan County 90 miles NE of the city I think only White Lake and Lake Huntington allow trout through the ice but there could be a couple other small lakes too. There is a thread on Orange/Putnam/ Westchester counties that covers them. No safe ice yet down there that I have heard of.

Gam
Thank you Gam.  Fortunately, I have the proper permits etc since I have done some warm water fishing in these areas.  I'm looking forward to soaking my lines through the hard water in your neck of the woods!  I'm praying for continued cold!

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
walton lake still had some open water. About 80% ice. Maybe next weekend.

Offline Brill21

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone bin pass Upton lake at all?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
headed to superior in the morning how's the fish bite been and thickness of the ice

I'll be out on Superior in the morning in a dark blue shanty. Feel free to stop by and say hello.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hello everyone good to see folks coming back for the start of another ice fishing season. JDWMD welcome to NY. and Ice Shanty , I will send you a personal message with the names of 2 books I find useful for information on various bodies of water in southern NY. Also use the search function here on Ice Shanty and look for posts by a member who uses the handle of Jager61 (first name is Mike) he fishes NYC reservoirs and has posted several photos of good sized trout he has caught.

Folks remember in the reports&conditions forum there are threads for Sullivan County small waters and Harriman/Sterling Forest state parks. I'll do some searching this weekend and see what information I can gather on Sullivan County Fire Dept. contests.

A good and safe ice fishing season to all.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Iceman23kids

• IceShanty Rookie
Yes yesterday was out. 3 inche of ice on upton lake but on the way off the ice I noticed a new sign.

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes yesterday was out. 3 inche of ice on upton lake but on the way off the ice I noticed a new sign.

What exactly does that sign say? As long as you stay on the NYSDEC Access path you should have no issues.

Offline Iceman23kids

• IceShanty Rookie
The sign says " Upton lake and this access are private property . There are no public access. Guests of the federation are permitted to fish by boat or ice fish only. No other use of lake or property is allowed. Trespassers will be reported to police ". I've never seen the sign before and it's right on the path everyones used for years. I called dec and spoke with someone who saidthat because they stock it and have an aggrement to have a public access to the lake that the sign didn't make any sense. He said he's looking into it. Not sure what to make of it. Hopefully sign comes down so I don't feel like I'm trespassing and hate to give up a good spot close to home.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The sign says " Upton lake and this access are private property . There are no public access. Guests of the federation are permitted to fish by boat or ice fish only. No other use of lake or property is allowed. Trespassers will be reported to police ". I've never seen the sign before and it's right on the path everyones used for years. I called dec and spoke with someone who saidthat because they stock it and have an aggrement to have a public access to the lake that the sign didn't make any sense. He said he's looking into it. Not sure what to make of it. Hopefully sign comes down so I don't feel like I'm trespassing and hate to give up a good spot close to home.

Keep us posted ...if the state stocks it there should be a clearly marked spot w a DEC sign and possibly parking.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceman23kids

• IceShanty Rookie
parking signs are up and parking is still there just looks like some put the sign up halfway down the trail. I'll keep you all posted 👍👍👍

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hit Superior today with a friend. Ice was at least 5" - 6", maybe pushing close to 7" in some spots. Bite was a slow pick all day, lots of dink perch and lots of "lookers". The fish that did bite were biting very very lightly.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just wondering, has anyone checked ice thickness on swinging bridge yet?
Thinking about taking a ride there tomorrow, but don’t want to waste my time if ice isn’t safe. I’ll got straight to Superior. Any info would be appreciated.
I did check reports and conditions but not much up to date info.

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
Just wondering, has anyone checked ice thickness on swinging bridge yet?
Thinking about taking a ride there tomorrow, but don’t want to waste my time if ice isn’t safe. I’ll got straight to Superior. Any info would be appreciated.
I did check reports and conditions but not much up to date info.

This past Tuesday SB was open

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the info Chaz13. I’m heading straight to Superior.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
went out on superior late this afternoon few keeper perch lots of shorts. be back put there early . had eagle flow over as we was walking off the lake great sight

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gam,

So I just found out today that one of my co-workers is going to have a house on lake Louise Marie and they said I can fish it so I'll let you know how the fishing is there heh heh

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gam,

So I just found out today that one of my co-workers is going to have a house on lake Louise Marie and they said I can fish it so I'll let you know how the fishing is there heh heh

Thanks LM. Seems weird to me that I have never seen anyone out on the lake fishing so I suspected there could be rules against ice fishing on it. Most of the homes are under the control of a HOA and most of them do have some restrictions.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hello all , so nice to be back on iceshanty! Headed out for first trip today.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning fellow SENY ice anglers ,I was over at Thruway Sporting goods yesterday afternoon to purchase fishing license. They most of had a run on grubs with recent cold weather only had mousies and wax worms in stock. While out drove over to Winding hills park (off of route 17K between Village of Montgomery and Bullville) sign by entrance still saying un safe ice. Next headed over to Tom's Bait Shop outside of Bloomingburg well stocked with grubs and bait fish prices seemed expensive over 4 dollars for a container of spikes. Below are some phone numbers that maybe useful to all of you.

Tom"s Bait Shop  (845)-733-4642  Hours 6 AM-9 PM. on Prosperous Valley road of off route 17M between Bloomingburg and Fair Oaks.

Winding Hills Park ranger station (845)-457-4918  Part of Orange County park system only main lake in park open for ice fishing.

Sterling Forest Visitors Center  (845)-351-5907                Lake Tiorotti field office(Harriman State park)   (845)-351-2568               Definitely make a phone call before heading to Sterling or Harriman last few years they have opened limited number of lakes to ice fishing . I was told they have limited number of park rangers and can not check ice conditions daily some years both will still have lakes closed even during/after periods of cold weather like we are currently experiencing.

A happy New year to all and good fishing.

Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks LM. Seems weird to me that I have never seen anyone out on the lake fishing so I suspected there could be rules against ice fishing on it. Most of the homes are under the control of a HOA and most of them do have some restrictions.

Gam

Yea the person I work with is going to ask some questions

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
out on superior fishing been on and off few fish on jigs few on flags beautiful out here

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
East Branch / Sodom by the causeway and White Pond are safe. Checked both this afternoon and the ice was between 6 and 7 inches thick. A bunch of people on the ice.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
6.5" on Chodikee.

Offline kevin3686

• IceShanty Rookie
Sullivan county 4-6 in of ice

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice eye ya got there! 👍🏻👍🏻🎣 congrats
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you for the ice thickness reports. Kevin3686 congratulations nice group of walleyes. :clap: :thumbsup: Did all of those fish come from lakes in Sullivan County know walleyes have been stocked in certain lakes.
Steve

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kevin nice fish! I know where you are ;D, good to see that there is some safe ice there.
New guy JD...hope the move to NYC from Utah was worth it!
Given your locale, I would spend some time investigating the Harriman/ Bear Mtn Park area. Lots of lakes and a few like Hessian have trout. The problem with Bear mtn park is that they regulate when you can go on the ice . Their policy in the past is at least 6". I used to fish Hessian and some of the other bodies of water down there often when I lived closer to them. good luck

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Hey guys hope all is well, anyone know of any good walleye spots in Putnam or dutchess that have ice? Hoping to get out there on Tuesday  and Wednesday. Also does anyone know if swimming bridge reservoir in Sullivan county had any ice and if so where is the best access to get on?
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.