New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096300 times)

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have never used mousies, probably because i have never seen them at any bait shop. Are they more productive than wax worms? And how do you store them, in the fridge?

Waxworms want to be stored around 60F and Mousies closer to 40F in a fridge.
Which is better? Whichever you think is better so that you concentrate using them and have them on when the fish decide to bite! Good luck.

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Just drove past Glenmere in Florida and it looked to be mostly locked up. The only problem is that they still have the "No ice fishing aerators are in use" signs everywhere.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't think they will ever Open it to ice fishing again it just makes it easier for everyone, Meaning them !

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Wetdreams believe you are correct personally think we will loose ice fishing at Bear,Harriman and Sterling Forest state parks some time in the future. There is a post/topic by new member "Ruhman1225" titled Glemere asking if it will be open this year. So If anyone hears it will be open to fishing this year please post the information in his thread or this one.

The excuse with state parks is that they do not have enough park rangers to check ice conditions on a daily basis.

A good Holiday Season to all and good ice fishing.
Steve

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone near Lake Superior or White lake?
Any hopes for ice for the coming weekend?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
last I heard Glenmere will not be open to ice fishing....
Oh and heres a pic of my buck 20" inside spread 21" beams

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
ICE IS NOT READY YET IN SULLIVAN!!! ONE OF THE 5-6 FOOT DEEP PONDS I FISH AT FIRST ICE STILL HAD ANND THE CHANNELS VISABLE THROUGH THE SNOW COVER...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
last I heard Glenmere will not be open to ice fishing....
Oh and heres a pic of my buck 20" inside spread 21" beams
(Image removed from quote.)

Great buck! Orange County?
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Ruhman1225

• IceShanty Rookie
moose66, thanks for the info on Glenmere. Hopefully we get a few more cold days to get ice elsewhere. I'll keep checking the thread.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
moose66, thanks for the info on Glenmere. Hopefully we get a few more cold days to get ice elsewhere. I'll keep checking the thread.

Ice conditions on specific lakes will be posted on the Reports and Conditions thread ..otherwise you'll have members post that they found xyz amount of ice but not reveal a specific body of water.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
I did not have the permit but was invited by friends who signed up for them and got assigned exact days when they could fish with up to six guys.

Gam
Cool we have a hunting camp right there. We get one or two permits a year if lucky .
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
Glenmere has been closed for several years now for ice activity. Wasting electricity and $$ on those aerators. I live in town.

Walt, the last time I fished there was with you years ago.

I'm sure a few of the well known shallow lakes in Sullivan will have folks on them this weekend.  No rush here. I've been waiting 10 months to drill some holes, another week or two to build some ice thickness before I head out.

Be safe, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
ONCE AGAIN THE ICE IN SULLIVAN IS NOT SAFE YET!!! WILL YOU MORONS STOP SAYIONG HOPEFULLY BY THIS WEEKEND... YOUR GONNA GET SOMEONE KILLED. THIS IS A PUBLIC SITE AND NOT EVERYONE HAS THE COMMON SENCE TO KNOW WHAT SAFE ICE IS AND NOT TO TRUST ANY ICE...

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie
ONCE AGAIN THE ICE IN SULLIVAN IS NOT SAFE YET!!! WILL YOU MORONS STOP SAYIONG HOPEFULLY BY THIS WEEKEND... YOUR GONNA GET SOMEONE KILLED. THIS IS A PUBLIC SITE AND NOT EVERYONE HAS THE COMMON SENCE TO KNOW WHAT SAFE ICE IS AND NOT TO TRUST ANY ICE...

dude, there's still 2 more below-freezing days until Sunday, so it's possible that some of the small Sullivan ponds will have 3 inches by Sunday.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
I checked my local Sullivan Co. ice this AM, 2 inches solid, and 8°F when I left.   High of 20 today, low teens tonight, might lead to another inch added.
Soon!

Rumors are swirling that people (morons?) were out on Swan Lake this morning.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I checked my local Sullivan Co. ice this AM, 2 inches solid, and 8°F when I left.   High of 20 today, low teens tonight, might lead to another inch added.
Soon!

Rumors are swirling that people (morons?) were out on Swan Lake this morning.

NICE  :flex: :flex: Sent you a PM BlueSail
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Great buck! Orange County?

Yep Orange County

I may be able to get out ice fishing on Tuesday when I scope out one of my early season spots here in Orange County.... Usually freezes well before anywhere else does

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline lony laker

• IceShanty Rookie
 good luck,
 be safe

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I took a spin this morning. SB, White Lake, Kenoza and Swan. All had lots of open water spots but there was one guy on Swan right by the out flow.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth nice deer. I got a Big 8 pointer myself. Flounderman hows it going ? Its been a while. I have mostly been fishing a couple of lakes up in Monticello the past couple of years. I don't want to say any lakes but there will probably be more people fishing the first 2 lakes up that way that usually freeze first. After this Sunday the weather isn't looking to good. Who ever goes out be carefull a fish isn't worth it. They will still be there once its Safe !! Walt

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Found some safe ice on a small pond on Long Island......... jk lmao. Just wanted to share some pics of early ice here in Wisconsin. Hope everyone is doing alright. Gonna be coming home soon so I'm looking forward to a great season on the ice.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
dude, there's still 2 more below-freezing days until Sunday, so it's possible that some of the small Sullivan ponds will have 3 inches by Sunday.
yeah I am sure there might be walkable ice BUT REMEMBER there are deaths every year because some people assume that once theres safe ice on one body of water all must be good. just use caution when on a public page. if your talking with messages then you should have a lil idea of the persons knowledge on ice safety and know your not endangering them...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Safe ice means different thicknesses to us all. Early ice IMO is the most dangerous because lakes don't freeze evenly so where ever you find a few or more good inches in one spot does not mean it is in all spots. Springs and flowing water under what ice is there have a lot to do with uneven freezing. Just be careful and do not rely on what some jack hole says, check for yourself and for your own safety.

I am finally ready and just bought that Mule I have been wanting to help me with dragging all my gear. It has never been much of a problem on clear ice but once we get safe ice it never seems to fail and we end up with 6 or more inches of snow on top of it. Problem solved.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hey Gam ...does that mule fit in the sled for transport in back of an SUV?  I would like to see that thing in action some day ...not really needing that option just yet.. but looks way cool and an option in the future.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Gam ...does that mule fit in the sled for transport in back of an SUV?  I would like to see that thing in action some day ...not really needing that option just yet.. but looks way cool and an option in the future.

I watched one of the videos from Russia. The guy tipped the sled half out of his mini van and drove the dog into the sled. He then folded the handle forward and lifted the back end of the sled and pushed it in.

I just literally got it home here last night and right into the garage so I have not had any real time to check it out and do what I always do, rig it for my needs. All I know at this point is at 65 and liking to have my creature comforts out on the ice I always needed to go with friends to help me drag the stuff. I bet my pop up when fully loaded weighs a good 200 pounds or more. On glare ice it was simple to pull because I have skis on it. Once we get snow on top of the ice it becomes a real drag and I just don't have the steam for that crap any more. Getting back off the ice was the real issue because of a steep climb up the ramp. I had to unload all my gear and make a few trips to get the stuff back up to my truck. Most times if I could not find a pal to go with me I just stayed home.

Gam

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks Gam ...good luck with your purchase . Hoping to get on SWB this season as well as White Lake for Walleyes...been a goal of mine for a bit ..but with these crazy winters it been local fishing based on conditions.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Gam ...good luck with your purchase . Hoping to get on SWB this season as well as White Lake for Walleyes...been a goal of mine for a bit ..but with these crazy winters it been local fishing based on conditions.

I grew up on Masten Lake and long for the days when we had 18-24 inches of ice. Back in the mid 60s all we had were ice spuds so it took some work to get holes and I guess that is how we stayed warm with no pop ups back then. I think the most ice I have seen recently is just a tad over 12 inches but once we get 6 I am very comfortable going. Others seem OK with just a few inches so to each his own. I don't even have my gear out of the barn yet.

Gam

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good luck with your Snowdog Gam.
I watched the Video Drifter posted and would love one. I just have to learn where I can't use it. It seems some of the Sullivan Co waters do not permit any motorized waters.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There should be no issues at all where ever snowmobiles and ATVs are allowed such as SB and White lake. I suspect places that don't allow power augers and any of the NYC reservoirs would be a big no. I would love to fish more on SB but dragging the gear has always held me back and the same goes on White lake without a mule.

Gam

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
excuse  me  but  what  is  that thing?  do they have a  web site?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.