New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096075 times)

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
Exactly, if anyone has a problem, you can just ask nicely. No need to hop out of the shanty and immediately start yelling. Yelling does nothing but cause tension.

You're old enough to know better! Have a little common  curtesy and you won't get yelled at! And every time you guys got closer to my gear to drill your holes you kept looking at my shanty to see if I noticed, Guess I did huh! Not a great way to make friends nybasser. Ill tell you Once nicely, there is no second time!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You're old enough to know better! Have a little common  curtesy and you won't get yelled at! And every time you guys got closer to my gear to drill your holes you kept looking at my shanty to see if I noticed, Guess I did huh! Not a great way to make friends nybasser. Ill tell you Once nicely, there is no second time!

Seems as though you guys are butting heads over the Unwritten Rules.

Guys on the ice who don't know each other - You either ask or drill your holes no closer than 50 feet from he who was there first. Closer than that for any reason and I would be pissy too.

In the event the first guy has his tip ups spread in a very large set then all bets are off, no one owns the ice and although you can draw a straight line or make a big circle your own spot has no right to encompass a giant swath of the surface that you plan on keeping for yourself or even for friends who are not yet there.

While learning a new lake I often run a straight line from my shanty out to deeper water keeping my sets about 50 feet apart. That could encompass 250 feet of surface area and in this set up I have no right to expect others to not pass through my line or to not drill close by. I normally would just welcome the new guys and tell them to feel free where ever they want to fish but to keep sets 50 feet apart to avoid tangles. I don't own anything out there but 5-10 feet from my holes is pushing your luck and makes for a lousy day of fishing for us all. Blood and guts on the ice should only ever be from fish. Even keeping holes 50 feet apart could result in a running fish getting tangled in other lines. 50 feet is just about 16 three foot paces from one hole to another. On a very busy lake or when it is crowded such as during a contest with a lot of fisherman then things have to tighten up but not so when there is a big lake and only a handful of guys. If you want a special spot then get there first and drill all of your holes before the others arrive.

I had guys screaming on me up at Big Pond trying to chase me out of their holes from the day before. I arrived at 4 AM and too damn bad if you drilled the holes yesterday or last week, you don't have the property deed and I was there and set up long before you got there. That BS of "Hey, those are my holes" don't cut it. If they were yours you should have had them filled. 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Money pit...before you go trudging out there for the first time this year, I would get some updated reports , tip toe , bring a plank and a spud bar....I watching the ice melt this am...granted Sullivan tends to be a touch colder but running water can erode Ice quickly...seems like the consensus has 6-10" most local places last weekend that will be very different this weekend....night Temps aren't forecasted to be near what as cold as last week's thaw and refreeze...I am a Ice fishing fanatic, my favorite hobby, with that said I am skipping this coming weekend...good time to knock some things off the honey-do list!....maybe split next year's firewood

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Why don't you guys pm each other at this point. Not a great example for the new comer! At this point it's overdone.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good point beachwoods 16, Why can't we all just get along. We are all out to enjoy the day, maybe catch a few fish, and for me get away from the wife. (nag, nag, nag)
Let's hope we get through this week with enough cool weather to get back out there this weekend.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular

Not sure how "old" you think I am, but I'm only 18, and I was taking my two 15 yr old friends for their first time out ice fishing to introduce them to the sport. Needless to say, an angry fisherman yelling at them certainly didn't help with the introduction. At no time during fishing was I closer than 30-40 yds to your shanty, which is plenty of space in anyone's book. I also kept looking at you, and everyone else on the lake as well to see if anyone was catching anything. I'll admit it is hard to introduce someone to ice fishing without putting them on some fish. Like I stated earlier, no need to yell or argue, its not like anyone owns the lake anyway.. next time, a polite hint will suffice.  Lets just end it here.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dave not every place but in sully some places are going to have safe ice. Basser when my boy was 4 last year I used Hot coco and cookies to keep his attention long enough to get him  hooked on ice fishing. You have a problem with 15 year olds as they are to old for hot coco and to young for beer.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I started this thread so we could get to know each other, and trade tips and ideas. Go to the Grumpy old Men thread to air your beefs! Keep it fun guys!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dave not every place but in sully some places are going to have safe ice. Basser when my boy was 4 last year I used Hot coco and cookies to keep his attention long enough to get him  hooked on ice fishing. You have a problem with 15 year olds as they are to old for hot coco and to young for beer.

Haha yeah, fishing was slow, and pretty soon we were just sliding around on the ice instead.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Other then a minnow on a hook weighed down with a split shot what other ways are there for tip-ups? I have a jigging  spoon that  I removed the hook added a 3" leader a a trebble hook witch I attach a minnow to

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
I stick my brother in front of my Marcum and that keeps him busy for a few hrs and when the fish aren't showing up in start jigging along side of him and have my enjoyment of thinking my jig is a fish chasing his on the flasher...

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks POOLEY...well said !!!!!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Haha yeah, fishing was slow, and pretty soon we were just sliding around on the ice instead.
At 15  we always had a football and a frizbee on the ice.

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
 My boys weren't into jigging for fish they would set the tip ups and wait for flags. In between it was football and goofing off with there friends.I always had a crew with me when they were younger.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to bring a football or something else the next time I take them out. Weather forecast is looking good for the first week of February, fingers crossed.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to bring a football or something else the next time I take them out. Weather forecast is looking good for the first week of February, fingers crossed.

Kite ...some days we would get it up and just tie it to the ATV...

End of the month looking hopeful...got to hit it hard in February...hoping the season extends into March longer then usual 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone thinking about going out to Superior (or anywhere else in Sullivan county) this weekend? How do you guys think the ice is holding up?
Doesn't look to good down here in Orange county.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone thinking about going out to Superior (or anywhere else in Sullivan county) this weekend? How do you guys think the ice is holding up?
Doesn't look to good down here in Orange county.
What stinks is the rain friday night.  If we only get 1/2 an inch, I could easily see Superior, Kaneunga, and lake huntington holding on as well as some other waters. No one will know till Sat.  I had nine inches on kaneunga side of white lake mon.  I don't think it has changed much since then. I bet you will see some reports on sat saying ice is good. And of course it is up to each one of us to make the final call based on our own observations. I will say the forecast is looking up for the following weekend.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks beachwoods for the update. I will be checking the posts early Saturday morning.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I think plenty of solid ice up monticello and especially the ponds further north are all good for this warm spell. Just some places won't have safe shoreline access because some flood easier than others.. just bring waterproof boots and consider having to ladder to the ice from shorelines. Once on the thick ice  should be balmy day temps and good icefishing.. not sure what my plans are yet,, i just don't like rain wind freezing rain or snow when and if I decide to drive up. I will consider sunny overcast no wind or light breeze..that's having fun out on the ice!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Taking weekend off unfortunately...I would tread carefully and stick to a body of water you know well..a place I go to in Delaware cty had very obvious inflow damage from the last thas...and this place typically freezes hard

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
My local fishing lake's northern shoreline access is holding up solid ...and that's on a beach...sun all day and heat of the sand didn't mess with it too much as of 5 PM yesterday...looks like these warm temps exit next Thursday Ol' Man Winter must be back from his vacation .Be careful and tread lightly for those hitting the ice this weekend...those who aren't going go through some gear ...organize...prep for next weekend .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Weather underground is calling for .08 inches of rain. If thats the case it won't have much effect.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody have the address for the farm store in Monticello that sells shiners? I normally run to Tom's in Narrowsburg, but that takes an extra 40min for me... thanks in advance.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Anybody have the address for the farm store in Monticello that sells shiners? I normally run to Tom's in Narrowsburg, but that takes an extra 40min for me... thanks in advance.

I believe this is the place ..never bought bait ...Sports nuts in Rock Hill sells bait too
Might want to call first

http://www.monticellofarmhomeandgarden.com/

Monticello Farm Home & Garden
 420 Route 17B, Monticello, NY 12701
Tel: 845-794-6457 | Fax: 845-794-6459 | E-Mail: [email protected]

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I believe this is the place ..never bought bait ...Sports nuts in Rock Hill sells bait too
Might want to call first

http://www.monticellofarmhomeandgarden.com/

Monticello Farm Home & Garden
 420 Route 17B, Monticello, NY 12701
Tel: 845-794-6457 | Fax: 845-794-6459 | E-Mail: [email protected]

That's it and it is about 1 mile past the racino right along side of Maplewood Auto.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
That's it and it is about 1 mile past the racino right along side of Maplewood Auto.

Have you bought bait there ? Are their tanks climate controlled ...if its 60 plus degrees inside the store the bait is sure to go belly up if the bait is stored inside and brought to the lake . Sports nuts stores his bait in a root cellar/basement area so may be better longevity/mortality .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Have you bought bait there ? Are their tanks climate controlled ...if its 60 plus degrees inside the store the bait is sure to go belly up if the bait is stored inside and brought to the lake . Sports nuts stores his bait in a root cellar/basement area so may be better longevity/mortality .

The tanks are outdoors but under a roof with large bubblers going full time to keep them from freezing. They carry fat heads and medium shinners. I buy bait there all the time and no issues at all except ever now and then I get a clerk who really thinks a dozen equals 12 minnows. Most times I get a good count though.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Good to know I will add it to my list ...What is  the cost of a dozen fat heads if you recall...I believe Sports nuts get $3.00 a doz.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good to know I will add it to my list ...What is  the cost of a dozen fat heads if you recall...I believe Sports nuts get $3.00 a doz.

$5.00 for a dozen shinners and I don't buy the fatheads.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.