New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096325 times)

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
these spoons are no joke!!! got my personal best crappy yesterday.

[/URL]
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
that was 2.18 lbs

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
What a slab bro!!!! Where can you get boss spoons?
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth I just got my shipment of mousses from Knutsons also. You're right about paying 11 bucks for shipping, but at least I'll have some good bait. I don't think there is any better bait for pan fish then mousses.
I wonder how long it will take them to sell out?

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
Anybody ever go to Sports Nuts Inc? Do they carry live bait?

Offline bucktailnick

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello everyone. Can somebody give an ice report for putnam or Westchester counties? Looks like open water fishing is officially done and time to get on the ice.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Yes ..but I would call ...they may not have got a shipment in lately ...fishing slows down after the summer and most bait shops figure on the ice kick off around the first week in January .

(845) 794-2000
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hello everyone. Can somebody give an ice report for putnam or Westchester counties? Looks like open water fishing is officially done and time to get on the ice.

Check the NYS reports and conditions board. Thought I saw some recent reports out that way .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sports Nuts is open, I got fat heads (or were they pinheads, I don't know. they have shiners too) and waxies yesterday. I was told they have no plans to close down this winter. He was busy when I was there...He does not think they will be getting mousees. They expect spikes next week, I'm going to try them for  the first time this year since mousees not available.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
thanks for links dh, squirmy little b@stards should get me on the perch again!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Toms sometimes has the mixed colored maggies/euro larva ...I have recently switched to wax worms as my go to live bait . But maggies can be stored in a bait puck in the fridge for numerous outings ...pretty hardy and EZPZ maintenance . Waxies need 55-60 F I believe and are temperamental with temperature swings. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah's to all my fellow Southern/South East NY. Ice Shanty members. Congratulations to those of you who have already made your first trips of the season some good looking fish being harvested. I see a few new to me screen names ,welcome everyone.
Forest besides Sport Nuts in Rock Hill, there is Tom's bait shop in Fairs Oaks/Middletown,NY. area (exit 116 off of route 17).
To the person interested in Boss Spoons send Boss J a personal message and he will send you purchase information. Combining his knowledge of local water and panfish species Boss J has finished among the prize winners (yellow perch,crappie) at multiple Sullivan County,NY. fire dept. ice fishing contests.
Bucktailnick I thought read some people were fishing at Sodum . I would check the Baitshop list and make a few phone calls before planning a trip.
Hardwater diehard thank you for the info. on Fallsburg,NY. Fire Dept. contest. Also maggot hooking videos. Just for everyone knowledge Echo/Alta Lake are the same body of water name depends on what map you look at or who you talk with about the lake. Once you are on Westwood Dr. look for fish signs by entrance to Fire Dept.'s property signs put up day of contest.

I plan to get out scouting some local lakes this coming week will post report on ice conditions. Also will try and get more information on various fire dept. ice fishing contests.

A good ice fishing season to all of you. Safe journeys to everyone traveling this Holiday season.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Loudmouth I just got my shipment of mousses from Knutsons also. You're right about paying 11 bucks for shipping, but at least I'll have some good bait. I don't think there is any better bait for pan fish then mousses.
I wonder how long it will take them to sell out?

idk but I'm ordering mine on monday getting 13 of the 24 packs splitting it with my uncle lol

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
call them to make sure sport nuts phone number   845 794 2000

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
sports nuts is not a good place to get waxxies from! the heat is barely on there and shut off after hours so they get too cold and often are dead or just about that way...

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking to head out to Superior/Morningside tomorrow, anybody know the ice conditions in the area? Thanks

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
anybody hit up Sodom. supposed to be 15tonight. haven't drove by all weekend. how did it fair with all the mild and wet weather? if its good ill be in the black frabil suitcase shack. stop by

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looking to head out to Superior/Morningside tomorrow, anybody know the ice conditions in the area? Thanks
the shores are starting to give way. there was a few spots today that had open water along the shore...

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
the shores are starting to give way. there was a few spots today that had open water along the shore...

Do you know the general thickness of the ice? Would hate to drive 2 hrs to find bad ice...

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
anybody hit up Sodom. supposed to be 15tonight. haven't drove by all weekend. how did it fair with all the mild and wet weather? if its good ill be in the black frabil suitcase shack. stop by

I was down there saturday morning to visit the parents, fished it in the rain. Had between 5-7" by the causeway, the shoreline is getting a bit sketchy though. I would be careful but it's most likely still safe.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
Do you know the general thickness of the ice? Would hate to drive 2 hrs to find bad ice...
IF you can get on it then its a lil over 5. but again the shores are getting very soft or melting completely.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
thanks beercap. ill keep u guys posted

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did a little scouting today....

White Pond is safe in front of the dam. There was about 5 - 7 inches where I checked.  Be advised that the water level is way down as there is ongoing dam work being done and the west side of the parking area is taken up by a construction crew.

Also checked Sodom (East Branch) by the causeway. Never got on the ice to check the thickness as the edges were weak and or non existent. There was someone out there fishing with his kids. Water level was down here as well.

May give White Pond a shot next weekend.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
That was me. Threw the kids over the gap in the ice. Gotta be 8-10" out there. Probably about a dozen guys out there when I left. Had marks all day. Just dinks. Guys came out behind me and I told them they could use my holes
 they wound up getting some nice  perch on tips with minnows. I was just jiggin.

Offline setthook

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know of any bait shops around or close to
Dutchess County that carry sucker minnows.

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
That was me. Threw the kids over the gap in the ice. Gotta be 8-10" out there. Probably about a dozen guys out there when I left. Had marks all day. Just dinks. Guys came out behind me and I told them they could use my holes
 they wound up getting some nice  perch on tips with minnows. I was just jiggin.

Thanks!  Hopefully after the warm up the beginning of this week, the edges will firm up the next week or so. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings I had off from work today so made a scouting trip to some lakes in Sullivan county. You can find my report of trip in the Sullivan small waters thread /Reports -Conditions community/board. Lakes I visited were Waneta in Livingston Manor area, Loch Sheldrake and Morningside (Hurleyville/Town of Fallsburg.) There were a couple people out on Waneta and around 6 people fishing at Morningside. I was able to get onto ice at Morningside by the playground .
  Setthook there is a bait shop in Pawling area called D's Sport & Tackle shop  (845)-855-1520 I have no idea if this shop carries suckers. Also off of route 52 on Little lane in Town of Newburgh(Orange county) is Wards bait shop give them a call (845)-518-4274 (shop hours M-F 8 AM-6PM,Sat. &AM-6PM,Sun.6AM-2PM

I also stopped at the Swan Lake and Loch Sheldrake fire houses and left letters requesting information on their respective ice fishing contests. While in Livingston Manor dropped in the Fur,Fin& Feather sport shop starting Jan.1 shop hours will be 9AM to 5 PM with the shop closed on Tues. and Wed.

A good ice fishing season to all, hopefully I will meet some of you on one of the area lakes.
Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
We hit North-South Lake today. Did fairly well. Cold and windy. 4-5 inches, shore was solid.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.