New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096427 times)

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
saw a guy in the middle of the rain today out on a  White lake. the conservation club  will make a ruling on thurs about king of the ice contest. if nothing on here, that may a good place to check. The creeks swelled a bit so bodies of water with sizable creeks might have issues. other than that with a couple of cold days coming there should be a bit of fishable ice.

Thanks for the input.

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Nope that one actually went back it to spawn...

Kudos on that release!
Fish of this size - especially female - is a swimming gene pool of that particular body of water.
When you put them on the wall you are eliminating many future generations of quality fish.
Good job, Loudmouth879.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
50* this weekend and then as of now they are saying the next "storm" will drop 3-5" on us... too early to really tell since it's a week away but looks like the cold air will return after the weekend

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm wondering if Harriman state park will open this season! Kinda close I bet..keep calling around now.. good chance it is going to freeze some them lakes..all they need are 6 inches to get a green flag open,, even if for a few days! i'd be into it!!!

I'm hoping for the same thing, but not looking likely though. A couple of the smaller ponds were open for a few days this season but the bigger ones had open water during even the coldest periods. Now I'm just hoping we can get on Harriman sometime this year...in December. Here's to an earlier start next season!

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
There's zero chance harriman will open too many lakes still have open water and with no daytime freezing temps it looks like maybe next season

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone been to SWB in the last day or so? Do you think we will have safe ice this weekend?
Any info would be appreciated.
BTW that perch is one of the biggest I've ever seen. Great catch and release.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
King of the Ice is still up in the air ...no official word as of yet ...there is ice monitor their FB page for updates

https://www.facebook.com/SullivanCounty.ConservationClub/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Update - King of the Ice has been CANCELLED due to unsafe ice conditions.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any word on Huntington, swb,or toronto?
Looking to head out tomorrow

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where can I find pike in southern NY???

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
you cant lol very few waters below albany have them there are a few in the hudson river white pond in putnum county has a few as well i cant think of any other waters

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie
There are also a few pike in Greenwood Lake.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
i forgot about greenwood i dont fish there

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Any word on Huntington, swb,or toronto?
Looking to head out tomorrow

Was on Huntington yesterday - 3 to 4 inches of ice, and it's became really unsafe like 50 feet from the shore.
Water is very murky - like milk, I do not know what is it.
No fish on flasher - dead quiet.
Got 5 small sunfishes - let them all go.

Offline Senka

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone going out on ICE tomorrow in Sullivan? I cannot believe there won't be safe ICE 5+ inches anywhere, this all week was mostly below freezing, especially during nights.

I'm going and looks like will be closing the season :( Last day tomorrow folks! This would be my 4th time this season.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'll be going out tomorrow, there were 7 inches on Monday, likely more now. Got to find the suntan lotion with a high of 50° and full sun forecasted. Good luck, be safe all!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where can I find pike in southern NY???

There's really no pike waters worth fishing until you hit Albany and North

Apparently there is pike in Forth Lake in Ulster County

There are also a few pike in Greenwood Lake.

No there are not.... There are muskies but no pike....

i forgot about greenwood i dont fish there

Even if you wanted to all open water

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished yesterday about 8-10" of ice.... kept 21 fish, 18 crappie 3 perch. Threw back another 30 fish probably. All in a matter of 4 hours it was fun.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A couple pictures from yesterday

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie

there are tiger muskies, which means there are pike crossing with muskies.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
there are tiger muskies, which means there are pike crossing with muskies.

If there are tiger muskies in Greenwood lake still they are hold overs from when NJ stocked it with Tiger Muskies not because Northern Pike crossed with regular Muskies..... The DEC website says it is stocked with Tiger Muskies and pure strain muskies however this is because of NJ not NY... NY only stocks trout down here in Region 3 saving all the Tigers and Walleyes for Otisco, Oneida, and various other ponds in CNY and Northern NY There is only 1 body of water in Orange County that get stocked with tiger muskies and that is Popolopen Lake

Wish NY did what Jersey did with the money from fishing licenses and put it towards stocking bodies of water instead of giving it to the government.... 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/75511.html Again nothing about pike

NJ has been stocking muskies since 2008 in GWL and Tiger muskies since 2011 and they've put hundreds of thousands of Walleye in GWL since 2008

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fish_tigers.htm
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fish_muskie.htm
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fish_walleye.htm

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie
If there are tiger muskies in Greenwood lake still they are hold overs from when NJ stocked it with Tiger Muskies not because Northern Pike crossed with regular Muskies..... The DEC website says it is stocked with Tiger Muskies and pure strain muskies however this is because of NJ not NY... NY only stocks trout down here in Region 3 saving all the Tigers and Walleyes for Otisco, Oneida, and various other ponds in CNY and Northern NY There is only 1 body of water in Orange County that get stocked with tiger muskies and that is Popolopen Lake

Wish NY did what Jersey did with the money from fishing licenses and put it towards stocking bodies of water instead of giving it to the government.... 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/75511.html Again nothing about pike

NJ has been stocking muskies since 2008 in GWL and Tiger muskies since 2011 and they've put hundreds of thousands of Walleye in GWL since 2008

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fish_tigers.htm
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fish_muskie.htm
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fish_walleye.htm

Thanks for the info. So are you saying that the 4 female muskies captured below which crossed with northern pike males were crossed that way at the hatchery?

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/arthackbrd14.htm

staff quickly switched gears once again and headed further north to Greenwood Lake knowing that muskies would be migrating into the shallow southern end of the lake to spawn. On April 10th, two Pennsylvania trapnets and a South Dakota trapnet were set near the mouth of Belcher's Creek. The nets were fished for 6 days and captured 35 muskies, the third highest number behind the 46 in 2009 and the 37 in 1999. The 20-year average muskie catch is 22 fish.

The strategically placed nets captured 12 muskies on the first day, one third of the 7-day total. Unlike 2013, when the male to female catch ratio was 9 males to 20 females, the 2014 number was nearly split down the middle with 17 males and 16 females, with two fish being immature. The males averaged 11.1 pounds and 35.3 inches, ranging from 6.98 - 15 pounds and 31.5 - 38.7 inches. The females averaged 17.8 pounds and 41.9 inches and ranged from 12.64 - 22.7 pounds and 37.5 - 45.5 inches. Of the 16 females captured, 6 of them were spawned with male muskies yielding 388,640 purebred eggs, an average of 64,773 per female. Four of the other females were crossed with northern pike males, which yielded 261,815 tiger muskellunge eggs

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for the info. So are you saying that the 4 female muskies captured below which crossed with northern pike males were crossed that way at the hatchery?

Four of the other females were crossed with northern pike males, which yielded 261,815 tiger muskellunge eggs

Yes all the fertilization is done at the hatchery site since they can control it and as a result have a better fertilization rate...

Northern Pike are not known to be in Greenwood and if they were in any decent population size the odds are that for the length they've been doing these nettings they would have been caught in the nets... and NJ would have said something about it

Could someone have put a Northern Pike in GWL of course but it would take multiple fish being put in by people for them to have a chance of surviving with the number of Giant muskies in there.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
There's really no pike waters worth fishing until you hit Albany and North

Apparently there is pike in Forth Lake in Ulster County

Even if you wanted to all open water
i have not seen a pike in 4th lake aka binniwater in over 20 years

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes all the fertilization is done at the hatchery site since they can control it and as a result have a better fertilization rate...

Northern Pike are not known to be in Greenwood and if they were in any decent population size the odds are that for the length they've been doing these nettings they would have been caught in the nets... and NJ would have said something about it

Could someone have put a Northern Pike in GWL of course but it would take multiple fish being put in by people for them to have a chance of surviving with the number of Giant muskies in there.

Just adding to Loudmouth's Post that basically all Tigers are raised in a Hatchery is true. Also the resulting hybrid "Tiger Musky" (I believe you get a Norluge if you use a female Northern's eggs and Musky sperm) is sterile and therefore can not reproduce itself so you only get Tiger Musky's in a body of water by DEC stocking.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
I heard there was a life rescue on White Lake today.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I heard there was a life rescue on White Lake today.

https://www.facebook.com/White-Lake-Fire-Company-163446883696251/?fref=ts

The White Lake and Kauneonga Lake Fire Companies have been operating at a water/Ice Rescue in the White Lake Fire District! Upon Arrival the victim had self extricated himself fom the icy water! The Victim was riding an ATV when it broke through the thin Ice on Black Lake and ejected him over the handle bar, As the subject attempted to get off the Ice he fell through again and had to strip clothing off to self extricate himself from the frigid waters! Please be careful if you choose to go out on the Ice especially on a machine! everyone was okay but could have been a lot worse

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular

Couldn't have asked for a much better day/night on the ice. Started out in the 50°s then to a beautiful moonlit night. Not as many perch as I had hoped, but the pickerel, bass and sunnies kept me busy between the keepers. 7 inches of solid ice near my holes, I even had the quad out.
Weather looks real cold at night for awhile, see you all out there again next week.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Very nice BlueSail ....was that in the hole or I/F/O your landing ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.