New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096399 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for the Face Book link to photos from the Swan Lake FD contest. It looks like the lake has  healthy yellow perch and chain pickerel populations. I see Beachwood16 started a topic asking if anyone from Ice Shanty attended the contest . I'm also curious if anyone made it to this contest. I thought Deweyicefish posted he was going to attend, I would like to obtain more information about this contest so if anyone went to the contest please post here or send me a personal message.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
So I was thinking about the whole cleaning out the hole vs leaving slush in the hole..... if you clean it out it results in light going though the water column.... light attracts phytoplankton, phytoplankton attracts bait fish, bait fish attract bigger predator fish! Just some food for thought.... I never really noticed a difference between clean holes and slushy holes....

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
Only in real shallow water could i see it being a probem cause bigger panfish and predators are real spooky in skinny water
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
boss.....your spoons worked great Saturday, if it stays warm may have to hit upstate again.
                                                                                                                                          Thanks Jammer

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
boss.....your spoons worked great Saturday, if it stays warm may have to hit upstate again.
                                                                                                                                          Thanks Jammer
lol thanks, I only put my name on them because I know they work great!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've been catching quite a few big perch and sunnies on jigs, little luck on larger lures until I tried one of my boss spoons I got at the Gander meet. Continued to catch decent fish on them! This weekend I will continue with the boss...I like the way they flutter down...
Planning to crappie fish in the deeper water this weekend too, I've only so far been on the flats.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
glad to hear of your success.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
BlueSail I should be out somewhere up by you today ...nice perch pictures ..you could give me some pointers as you have surpassed me ..my Ja Da bait supply arrived yesterday ...after being shipped on Monday 2 days.. fast...and nice lively good sized wax worms  ...fish don't stand a chance now .

I leave some slush and ice in the hole if no snow or if ice is clear ...just your shadow alone can spook fish in skinny water ..with the tungsten jigs you can cut though some slush for sure.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Tstrysko

• IceShanty Rookie
Was wondering if anyone's been out in Sullivan County in last couple days how the ice is. Was out on Sunday for swan lake tournament and there was about 6" of ice on it where we fished. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Was wondering if anyone's been out in Sullivan County in last couple days how the ice is. Was out on Sunday for swan lake tournament and there was about 6" of ice on it where we fished.

You should add your location to your profile.

Ice should still be OK...got some top melt so wet spots are all over ...lil warm up today... but starting Sunday it'll take a beating for several days ...come on Polar Vortex ..

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie

You should add your location to your profile.

Ice should still be OK...got some top melt so wet spots are all over ...lil warm up today... but starting Sunday it'll take a beating for several days ...come on Polar Vortex ..

I am wondering the same thing. Anyone know how thick the ice is on Superior right now? What about Huntington and Highland?

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I haven't been on superior this year but it freezes early. last year it was the first I could get on. Judging by places I have fished close by and like it, You should of course use caution but you could probably fish it 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fishing a couple new private bodies of water tomorrow... we shall see what happens

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
KLuo if you go back a page or two in this thread you will find a post by a member screen name of IceBalls believe he fished at Huntington last week and reported 6 to 7 inches of ice. Just be careful Huntington drops off quickly into deeper water from the state access. Also for your and other members knowledge Highland Lake in the Eldred,NY.area is privately owned people have accessed the lake by parking at seasonal/vacation homes and crossing the property to lake. You may or may not be spotted doing this and have law enforcement called to report your presence I would avoid any potential conflict and respect property owners rights.

Tstrysko welcome to Ice Shanty and the SENY thread ,since you do not have enough posts to use the personal message feature on this web site I will ask you some questions about the Swan Lake Fire Dept. contest here in this thread.
 1. What was the entry fee adult/youth, 2. Species of fish eligible for prizes, 3. Is there a prize for biggest fish of the day, 4. Is/was live bait fish available for purchase ,also any refreshments(coffee ,hot chocolate,etc.) 5. Did they have a 50/50 drawing or any kind of raffle  6. Besides the Face Book page for the fire dept. do you have any contact phone number and name.
   My thanks in advance for your help, if you would prefer to answer these questions in private post a few more times and you will be able to use personal message feature on this web site.
Steve

Offline Tstrysko

• IceShanty Rookie
The tournament was 10 a person. There was a first and second place for biggest porch and biggest pickerel. They did sell bait and had a 50/50 and a concession area. My parents live by the firehouse that's how I found out about it. It was a good tournament. My father won second in the perch catigory.  Would definitely go to it again.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shellfish any interest in sharing what lake/lakes your fishing? I want to get out tomorrow, but don't want to drive up to Sullivan county searching for safe ice. ANY info would be greatly appreciated. If you would like you could PM me, that would be great.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm going to guess he was on swinging bridge... that seems to be his favorite spot!

Fished in orange county.... hit 3 private lakes thank god I missed the first one (I was working) my uncle said the whole thing was 5ft deep and not a fish in it. Met up with them at the 2nd one the majority of it was 8ft deep my uncle caught a crappie I caught a 8" gill and 4 or 5 bass..... Went to the 3rd one (where I fished last week) and took a while but got into the crappies caught around 20. All went back didn't feel like cleaning tonight. First 2 lakes had about 6 inches and the last one had 4 inches and dwindled down to about 3 inches in the last couple holes we drilled.... no fishing for me this weekend Heading to Cabelas tomorrow and Sunday I don't feel like risking my life.... for those who go out stay on top and bring your safety gear!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings folks I got out on to Morningside Lake (Sullivan County/Hurleyville,NY. ) this afternoon around 6 to 7 inches of ice, majority of the ice is black. I went straight out from the parking area the overlooks the play ground and covered picnic area. I fished between the shore and island caught one small yellow perch on one of Boss J's spoons tipped with a wax worm. Windy afternoon ,had no problem getting on to the ice there maybe some questionable areas along the shore. A few other people out fishing on the other side of island. While fishing I was approached by a fellow fishermen once he removed his ski goggles I realized it was Boss j we talked for around 10 to 15 minutes. He showed me some tips on working his spoons and how to read my flasher. Only second trip out with the flasher was able to get one fish to come in but could not make it take the spoon. In total spent about 2 and a half hours fishing nice to get out on to the ice. Ditto the safety warnings temperature may get into the fifties on Sunday.
  Also on my way home stopped at Winding Hills park (off of route 17K in the Town of Montgomery) Lake is still closed to fishing.

In other news since I was close to Loch Sheldrake and have not had any success in finding out if the fire department is holding a contest this winter drove over to fire house and taped a letter to the door . Hopefully I get a reply back from someone. Below is the letter.

To the members of the Loch Sheldrake Fire Department,
        I have been trying to obtain information on the ice fishing contest your department usually holds on the first Saturday in February. My efforts to date have not been successful. So if you are holding the contest this year please use the information below to contact me. Just my humble opinion you have a very nice web site with a section for events would it be asking to much of you to post details of your contest in this section of your web site. Looking forward to your reply.
       I included my phone number and Email address. Probably should have mentioned Ice Shanty.com .

Be safe and have a good trip if you a fishing this week end.
Steve

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
heres a sample of a good day on the ice...

IMGP0977_zpserbydnis.j pg.html][/URL]

IMGP0975_zps7zhfpcep.j pg.html][/URL]

IMGP0978_zpsr0lp8rb3.j pg.html][/URL]

IMGP0979_zpspcms5twl.j pg.html][/URL]

IMGP0982_zpspdarow5a.j pg.html][/URL]

IMGP0984_zpsfcdtgs90.j pg.html][/URL]

IMGP0988_zps4v2axmao.j pg.html][/URL]

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr. Clean-Steve

I was told, yesterday, that the Loch Sheldrake Ice Contest was cancelled this year.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Reelemin thank you for the information on the Loch Sheldrake Fire Department contest. I was afraid the contest might be canceled this year.

Shellfish I have never fished Loch Sheldrake through the ice or open water. I assume the lake holds the usual species chain pickerel, crappie,blue gill, yellow perch . The area near the state access looks shallow .
Steve

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
i fished it once open water small pannies did get a 22 inch eye that was 6 years or so ago

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tried SBR today, did absolutely terrible, had some marks on the flasher but could not get them to nibble. May have been the worst day of catching fish ever.
On the other hand it was a great day to be out on the hard water. This was my first time out this season, hopefully it won't be my last. Unfortunately the weathers not looking to favorable.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Hey TJ! Welcome to the site!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie

Also, treated the LX-7 like a flasher today and didn't baby it and the arm held up well... still don't like the way the soft case is when you carry it from hole to hole

Hey Loudmouth,

Wondering if you could give a quick update on pros and cons of the LX-7 since you've had some more time to fish with it. I'm in the market for a new flasher and have narrowed it down to a Marcum LX-5i, LX-6s, or LX-7. I am curious what your logic was on getting the LX-7 over the LX-6s since it seems like the only differences are a slightly bigger screen and slightly better target separation. Downside is obviously heavier unit and I would think shorter battery life? Also, have you noticed any slower response rate of the LCD screens vs. your old traditional flashers?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good afternoon everyone in response to the letter I left taped to the door of Loch Sheldrake Fire house received a phone call around 12:30 today. Reelemin is correct this years contest has been canceled . The Monticello Fire Dept. is having a monthly meeting tonight so I will post any news about their contest once I receive it.
 This week's weather does not look good for ice building ,rain forecast for Wednesday be careful if you go out this week or weekend.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Loudmouth,

Wondering if you could give a quick update on pros and cons of the LX-7 since you've had some more time to fish with it. I'm in the market for a new flasher and have narrowed it down to a Marcum LX-5i, LX-6s, or LX-7. I am curious what your logic was on getting the LX-7 over the LX-6s since it seems like the only differences are a slightly bigger screen and slightly better target separation. Downside is obviously heavier unit and I would think shorter battery life? Also, have you noticed any slower response rate of the LCD screens vs. your old traditional flashers?

I went with the LX-7 for those main reasons bigger screen and better target separation..... It's not much heavier than my FL-8se was maybe a pound or 2. Batter life has not been an issue have fished all day no problem (people have problems when then have the backlight on 100% and run the blue screen) I think the highest I've had it was 45%. It took me awhile to get use to hole hopping with it because it seems that the unit is going to fall out of the soft case but that hasn't been an issue. The LX-7 does have 2 buckles on top incase you want to upgrade it to an LX-9 so I believe that I'll just take my trail camera strap and buy another buckle for a little added protection but again its not an issue.... the target separation was the main reason I got the LX-7 so I could see the bottom hugging walleyes. I actually thing the LCD screen is quicker than the FL-8 that I had in regards to response rate but both units are so quick that you really can't tell with the naked eye. I can definitely tell how many different fish are under me at a given time up to a certain point the most I've been able to pick out was 7 but thats determined by how close the fish are. You can't see your jig till its about 3.5' 4' down the water column but Marcum is supposed to release an update to fix that. Also love being able to customize the screen as to what I want to see which the bigger screen allows you to run a flasher dial graph and zoom no issue (I think the lx6 things would get too small) 

On a different note... went to Gander today and they only had one kind of treble hook the basic round treble wanted to get some sureset trebles to try out guess ill be ordering online

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Life is short, so I ventured out on the ice this afternoon, spudding my way out to my local 7-8 feet flats. The spud would break thru the top two inches of nearly rotten ice, stopping on ~5 inches of the black stuff. No water on top like yesterday...
No keepers, but plenty of sunfish, small perch and a decent pickerel. Enough action to have fun.
Had a blast Saturday night, brought home 7 crappies all about a foot or so, taste so sweet  Stayed out till 11:30. Tip downs and glow jigs, what a blast. The blueberry moonshine and honey Jack made it that much more fun, sure hope to get out to the deep spots again this year.
Thanks for the tips Hardwater, really helped me a lot.
Saturday night photos:

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
Nice job Bluesail, stay safe out there.
👮👮👮

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
here are a few more pics

IMGP1003_zpss2i3ggme.j pg.html][/URL]

IMGP1001_zpsf8zjz9t0.j pg.html][/URL]