New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096308 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Fished from about 1:45pm till 5:15pm caught about 30 fish.... ten perch between 9" and 11".... about six crappies 2 were about 9" 1 was 12.5" and about 3 more that were around 7".... Bunch of small gills only one about 8 or 9".... Ice was anywhere from 5" to 7"

Forgot to mention everything went back for someone else to catch.... This was a trip to get the rust off and experiment with the new LX-7

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Whitecap82

• IceShanty Rookie
Mining for Gold continues here in Orange County..

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Whitecap82 New to the site ...location added...and posting pictures .. :clap:

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Great job Whitecap82..
Welcome to the site...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Whitecap82 welcome to Ice Shanty and the SENY thread, it looks like your season is off to a good start. Serge99 thank you for the update on Sterling Forest state park. Just curious due you know if the smaller of the two Laurel Meadows ponds is also open for ice fishing at this time? Loudmouth Congratulations on a good day of fishing ,I do not think you have any "rust" to worry about from your report. How do you like the Marcum LX7 ? Hardwater Diehard thank you for posting a link to the Swan Lake,NY. fire department's Face Book page and the info. on Tom's Bait Shop in the greater Middletown,NY. area.

I made phone calls on Friday to get information on the Loch Sheldrake, NY.fire dept. and one other contest in Sullivan County. The contact I have for Loch Sheldrake is away for the weekend I asked his wife to please have him call me on Monday. I have questions if Loch Sheldrake is having a contest this year. The first Saturday in February when they usually hold contest I see they have a flea market scheduled at the fire house. I left another message for my contact person with other contest.
  Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How do you like the Marcum LX7 ?

So far I love it... still need some more ice time with it to get it dialed in but its a night a day difference between the LX-7 and my old FL-8se..... The best part is you can run 3 different displays if you want (i.e. flasher display vertical display and a vertical zoom display) if you want.... I tended to run a graph and the two vertical displays.... The zoom is awesome you can zoom into any part of the water column. The only thing that stinks is I need to get use to hole hopping with it.... the transducer arm seems a little weak and I tend to baby it a little bit but I think the more i get use to moving around with it the less I'll baby it. Other than that its freaking awesome. Glad I made the purchase

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Hi everyone,

brand new to the area as of the end of December, with no knowledge or connections to get started.. I know this is a long shot but looking to get a little bit of an idea on spots around dutchess, preferably the pawling area. not asking to give up any personal spots obviously just general public knowledge....I appreciate any info anyone can offer. Can't wait to get out and do some recon myself.

Welcome to IS. Hope you enjoy your new addiction.
I'm not far from you, some of my favorite haunts are Whites Pond, Ice Pond, upton lake, (the marina on Whaley is closed, else I'd recommend here), your not far from the Putnam county resivor system.   The DEC link will get you going in the right direction. Good luck

BTW.
There is Green Moutain lake just off Coleman Blvd/ W Dover rd I've been itching to try, that's right in Pawling. I'm not sure about access though.   Let me know! 

Tight lines
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie
mr.clean, both of the laurel meadows ponds are still closed. The ice is still very thin on the bigger one, but the smaller one has about 4-5 inches already.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This snow sure isn't going to help things.... hope we get the lower end of the 8"-12" they are calling for

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
This snow sure isn't going to help things.... hope we get the lower end of the 8"-12" they are calling for

Way past 8 - 12" down here already!!  HELP....can't get out of my house!! Snow is piled up against my front gate, preventing me from leaving!!!  Probably see you guys again in JUNE !!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Got about an inch up in lower Sullivan County not even any on the tree limbs ....2 more would be nice for dragging .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
New windblock FX50worked great today, mobile, easy to set up...perch from this windy AM.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  nothing here is p.b. I will be heading up swan lake  fire house tournament on sun... best of luck iceballs  hope you can get out soon....
images.jpeg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  nothing here is p.b. I will be heading up swan lake  fire house tournament on sun... best of luck iceballs  hope you can get out soon....

https://www.facebook.com/Swan-Lake-Hose-Co-1-658018180944474/?fref=nf

Swan Lake Hose Co. #1
Due to recent ice conditions we will not be allowing atvs snowmobiles or side by sides on the lake tomorrow for our contest. Sorry for any inconvenience

Good job on the perch BlueSail  :clap: they have eluded me thus far ..in that size

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good luck to the Swan lake guys tomorrow, Wish I could make it.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
New windblock FX50worked great today, mobile, easy to set up...perch from this windy AM.

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice slobs. What did you get them on?
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline coorslightguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 3% patriot
Any word if white pond is safe yet ?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I saw some people on WP this afternoon during the snow.   I'll be heading there tomorrow myself to dust off the auger.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
Open  water in the center guys fishing b careful
Mr.Esox

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings I may have gotten 3 inches of snow from winter storm Jonas here at my location in eastern Orange county. IceBalls may a neighbor help you dig out from the storm. Serge99 thank you for the info. on Laurel Meadows ponds in Sterling Forest state park. Deweyicefish best of luck to you and anyone else going to the Swan Lake FD contest. BlueSail congratulations those are some fat yellow perch.
  I went through my ice fishing notes and found an advertisement from last years Monticello Fire Dept. contest called the phone number printed on the paper. Talked with a person at the fire house was told the fire dept. has yet to decide if they will hold a contest this year. He told me to call back on Feb.2 there is a general meeting on Monday Feb.1 . I wish my report was better news.
 Best to all fishing today be careful out on the ice.
Steve

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Welcome to IS. Hope you enjoy your new addiction.
I'm not far from you, some of my favorite haunts are Whites Pond, Ice Pond, upton lake, (the marina on Whaley is closed, else I'd recommend here), your not far from the Putnam county resivor system.   The DEC link will get you going in the right direction. Good luck

BTW.
There is Green Moutain lake just off Coleman Blvd/ W Dover rd I've been itching to try, that's right in Pawling. I'm not sure about access though.   Let me know! 

Tight lines

KB
Green Mt Lake is the one on the old Holiday Hills YMCA property , which is a town park now.
There's a gate house that is opened during certain hours to pay for access. I'm not sure of the details on it,but the towns rec department probably has something on their web site.
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
A big fat zero inches of snow north of Orange County.  Its disappointing that there are no bait shops open early in the immediate area anymore.

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Under an inch of snow in WingdaleNY , and just 3-4 miles south in Pawling they are saying 6"".
10-12 miles away there's 8-10"
It's usually just the opposite!
I usually get hammered on my hill and go a few miles away to find nothing!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
We had 15" here in Monroe, 10 miles away there is 3". Crazy! Went on a private pond yesterday and caught a bunch of small yellows. Nothing over 8". 3-4" of ice

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
White Pond had 3-4 inches ice, and 6-8 inches snow....  Lovely drag with all my gear!  LOL 

No flags, no fish, but I dusted off my gear.  It felt good to get on the ice. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We decided to pass up our perch spot so my uncle could test out his new to him (my old) flasher so we fished a private pond from about 8am-3pm today and it was a crappie day beautiful weather tho!..... 4 inches of ice.... caught 40-50 crappies at least.... I stopped taking pictures after 15 and that was at 10am.... caught 5-10 bass and an awful lot of sunfish in the 4"-5" range.... biggest crappie of the day was 12" most were in the 8"-10" range and only 4 or 5 that were smaller than 8".
Everything was caught on the jig poles only 3 flags all hit and drops. Kept 8 that were in the 9 to 10 inch range for the frying pan

Also, treated the LX-7 like a flasher today and didn't baby it and the arm held up well... still don't like the way the soft case is when you carry it from hole to hole

Offline coorslightguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 3% patriot
Thanks for the update on WP. Hoping to get out during the week with out going swimming  :o :o

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Use a spud or similar if you have it.  Good luck, keep us posted. 

Im hoping for a good long windless cold spell. 

Offline jig em

• IceShanty Rookie
looking for ice in this area besides WP?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
looking for ice in this area besides WP?

Welcome to IS, give it a week or two, and we will hopefully have more ice!  Get a few more posts and check out the NY conditions....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.