New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096329 times)

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
I went after elusive walleye yesterday on sodom reservoir.  Did not get one but the guy next to me got a slob.  Close to 13 lbs.  Biggest walleye I have ever seen in these waters.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
you know if he is on the shanty? would love to see proof they are there. how deep were you fishing? ive marked big stuff at 40' on my flasher but never got to see what it was
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Yea,  I am pretty sure he is.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ok southern NY guys, It is time to admit defeat. Get it while I am cold and hurting!

To the Ice Shanty mods, I am not trying to cheat but I don't do Pay Pal and I refuse to put my credit card info over the net that would allow me to sell stuff in the for sale section. On my honor I will send a $30 donation to this forum as soon as I know where to snail mail it to.

I will sell all my ice gear to the first guy who comes with cash. I don't have any junk and only ever bought the best stuff I could find. I take good care of all my gear and anyone who wants to get started in this sport will end up with everything he could possibly need to do ice fishing right.

Here is a list of what I have and one lucky guy will get it all because I am simply too old and worn out to keep ice fishing.

Clam 2 man fish trap Guide model with snow skis attached.

Strike Master Mag 2000 gas auger with 8 inch chipper blade that works perfect and cuts great.

Strike Master 7 inch Lazer hand auger with new blades, old blades, electric drill attachment hand crank.

4 sets of tip ups, 5 in each set. one set is Jack Traps 30 inch Cross sticks in Oak and with my own drag system on each. Ready to fish with ice line and leaders, just go today and add a bait fish.

A full set of 5 Heritage laker 30 inch tip ups with my own drag system and ready to fish, just add bait fish.

2 full sets of HT Polar Therm Extreme disc type tip ups, 10 of these all ready to go fishing and in 5 gallon buckets and they all have the night fishing alarms and lights.

Mr. Buddy heater set up to heat up your food. You can probably find picture in my old threads of a lot of this stuff.

2 Foam lined small and large bait buckets with a battery powered air bubblers and floating nets.

2 Hole scoops with chipper spuds on the ends and a nice gaff.

2 Jig rods with Black Betty in line reels and a nice protective case and a box of jigs with some of the best lures and jigs we all love.

2 pairs of Joko therm mittens and two pairs of ice cleats.

Anything and everything I have related to ice fishing will be included in this one time deal and I will not separate any of it so please don't ask. I live very near to the Swinging Bridge and Rio Reservoirs in Sullivan County. As much as I do enjoy hard water fishing it is just too hard these days to get out and drag all this stuff at 63 with bad knees and a weak heart. A new guy just starting will need absolutely nothing else unless he wants electronics and can drag all that extra weight.

First guy here with $700 buys it all and as I said IS will get a $30 donation sale or no sale as soon as I know where to send it to. I also mentioned I will not separate any of this stuff and you would spend more than $700 on just the augers and shanty so it is not negotiable. Come and get it and you could go directly to the lake and be fishing today.

I also have a pair of LaCross Ice King pack boots in size 11 with ice screws in the soles for an additional $100.

The first guy to speak up and come over with cash will drive away with a great deal so don't be slow.

Gamalot, Gary, 845-seven 5 four, seven five 99

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
So been looking at maps trying to figure out where to fish and there are 2 boat launches on SWB.... Are they both public launches or is one private? Anyone know

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
So been looking at maps trying to figure out where to fish and there are 2 boat launches on SWB.... Are they both public launches or is one private? Anyone know

Only one public launch ...other 2 are open water seasonal marinas .
Note the water can fluctuate ...leaving a gap between ice and water ...hollow and no strength .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
If you Bing Map it you can see more ...no leaves on the trees . Navionics will let you look at the sonar map for a better heads up ...more precise contour lines .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you Bing Map it you can see more ...no leaves on the trees . Navionics will let you look at the sonar map for a better heads up ...more precise contour lines .

I use navionics and that shows there's 2 launches off of starlight road.... by the looks of it the northern one is private but would like to make sure of that before I decide where to fish

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I use navionics and that shows there's 2 launches off of starlight road.... by the looks of it the northern one is private but would like to make sure of that before I decide where to fish

Yes, there are two launches almost side by side. The south most one is private. There is also 2 marinas and if you can get in to them they sometimes will allow fishing for pay.

The water is down at least 20 feet from the normal level and there is 18 inches of ice but a steep drag down and up from the public launch.

Gamalot

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes, there are two launches almost side by side. The south most one is private. There is also 2 marinas and if you can get in to them they sometimes will allow fishing for pay.

The water is down at least 20 feet from the normal level and there is 18 inches of ice but a steep drag down and up from the public launch.

Gamalot

Good to know that the water level is down changes my mind about where to fish completely

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
From DEC site

Access
Boat access provided by Alliance Energy. Concrete boat ramp located on the east shore off of Starlight Rd. Parking for 30 vehicles. Free to public with no restrictions on boat type.

its the southern most launch site ...was marked fairly well with a  DEC sign ...shellfish was just up there I believe  so he may have a better idea on the P/Lot conditions...as well as ice/ snow ...probably 4-6 iches of new snow up here from this last storm .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Gamalot ...how was the walking and dragging  ?  Was the public lot plowed out well to the launch  or just enough by the entrance to get minimal access .I was out on Mastens lake on Saturday ...about 2 foot of hard pack snow and ice to drill through.... with about 4or so inches of snow atop that ...some of the easiest walking/dragging I have experienced this season  .

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
From DEC site

Access
Boat access provided by Alliance Energy. Concrete boat ramp located on the east shore off of Starlight Rd. Parking for 30 vehicles. Free to public with no restrictions on boat type.

its the southern most launch site ...was marked fairly well with a  DEC sign ...shellfish was just up there I believe  so he may have a better idea on the P/Lot conditions...as well as ice/ snow ...probably 4-6 iches of new snow up here from this last storm .

I read that. I figured its the southern one. There's also one marked about a mile north on navionics was wondering if that was private or not.... looking at the map it looks private

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The two marinas are

Swinging Bridge Marina

371 Starlight Rd, Monticello, NY 12701

(845) 794-6530

and

Starlight

Starlight Rd, Mongaup Valley, NY 12762

(845) 794-3622

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was fishing there with Shellfish yesterday! Walking sucked! unless you are on a snow mobile packed trail you keep falling through the crust in a good foot of snow.

Lets get one thing straight about the launches. I don't have navionics but I have lived here for 63 years and know this lake well. The dam is at the southern end. Driving from the dam north on Starlight drive the very first launch area on the left is privately owned by the big home across from it and has a wood gate that is locked. The next launch on the left is the public launch. Not sure what the maps are showing but only one launch is public. The parking lot was clear yesterday but we got close to a foot of snow so who knows what condition it is today. There was room for a dozen cars with trailers that were there yesterday. The walk from the launch lot down to the ice was steep. Don't bother with an ATV because they were all having a tough time sinking in the snow. Snowmobiles did fine.

We walked probably 200 yards from the launch and went to the right. The water below us went from 15 feet to 40 and even 50 feet deep in this general area. I fished from 15 out to 40 and it was less than 100 feet from one hole at 15 to the farthest out one at 40.

Gamalot

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The two marinas are

Swinging Bridge Marina

371 Starlight Rd, Monticello, NY 12701

(845) 794-6530

and

Starlight

Starlight Rd, Mongaup Valley, NY 12762

(845) 794-3622

thanks.... the one I was thinking about is private....

Lets get one thing straight about the launches. I don't have navionics but I have lived here for 63 years and know this lake well. The dam is at the southern end. Driving from the dam north on Starlight drive the very first launch area on the left is privately owned by the big home across from it and has a wood gate that is locked. The next launch on the left is the public launch. Not sure what the maps are showing but only one launch is public.

Navionics shows the public launch and the marina launch by Kinnie Brook

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
thanks.... the one I was thinking about is private....

Navionics shows the public launch and the marina launch by Kinnie Brook

On your map if you can see where the lake splits, the main part goes due north and another part forks to the NW. That point is just to the right off the public launch. Kinnie Brook is where the pay to launch Marinas are.

Gary

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing & Outdoor EXPO @ Rockland Community College

This is a fun show. --And they sell beer...

This weekend: March 5-8
http://sportshows.com/suffern/index.html

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gamalot just glad you made it up ,, I laughed pulling my sled up realizing how many times I had to stop and rest before getting up that slippery incline! I was the last one parked in the public ramp..tought to try all the holes i drilled going back , my friend said he had enough the weather.. it continued snowing, we managed a few panfish crappies throwback dinks..it was pretty dead..today shoveled and got home 10am.. LM you can try asking permission at starlight marina ,, but honestly going to be nasty by the time the next storms blow through.. I wish I could say different..you might reconsider unless you have a  snowmobile or try walking in the deep snow( might get slushy too the time you thinking of going there. I hate sweating it,, won't bother until the weekend after maybe,, but by than wallete closes.. think i'll try Harriman if the warm rain doesn't close them later in the week. gl be careful bring extra boots if you decide to try swb, it can get surprisely wet along the shoreline in March.

If we do get the warm rain on Wednesday and then it gets cold again it could change the entire surface. We can only hope.

Thank you for the Walleye John, it will be dinner tonight.

Gamalot

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion

this is my new hole hopping smitty sled and basic gear. i made the seat to lay on top and even put a rod holder on it. with this setup i can bounce all over with no time to pack up things to move at all!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
sweet ride

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
With the reports about walking conditions on SWB and with the incoming snow fall over the next couple days its looking like I won't be heading to SWB this weekend.... might opt for easier walking conditions and chase some Muskies instead. Still up in the air. Hopefully the conditions improve by Sunday.

Boss J the way it looks now we won't get to meet up and fish

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody been out to glenieda lately? Any fishing reports?? I might go tomorrow if not I'll go to cross river. Trying to get into some trout

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I headed up to Big pond on Sunday....was looking forward to some hardpack...it was a mixed bag of drifting snow and skim ice over 3 inches of slush...thought that up in that hollow things would have froze up better under all the snow....snowed hard enough that by late morning my tracks were gone and most of my holes were buried! Hope we get that warm spell just enough to settle this stuff down and let it freeze up again...
Gary gamalot...how heavy is the shelter you are selling?
Looking at hopefully hitting swb next Tuesday. ..have not had lots of experience ice fishing there ...have heard it can get pretty busy with the snowmobiles on the weekend. ..anyone try due west from the launch right where the bay dumps into the main basin?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for the info on BP. I hate slush and am surprised to hear that.

On SB there were a few snowmobiles running but mostly just dragging gear rather than playing. I did have concerns of using my disc type tip ups because they are hard to see and I did expect one to get run over. There was a crew fishing just off the point where the bay and main lake come together.

I think my shanty which is a Clam 2 man Guide model that I attached snow skis to probably weighs around 60+ pounds empty. I can get it in and out of my pick up easy but dragging it in deep snow with all my gear in it is where it gets tough. Please keep in mind I am selling everything or nothing. It makes no sense to have half the gear and not the other stuff to me.

Gamalot

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i dont need no stinkin shanty!!!   lol   i got the striker hardwater suit and have not had a day yet this season that i could zip up the jacket. its windproof so i am not bothered at all by the weather.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline BloodGroove4570

• IceShanty Rookie
Has Anyone tried Welch or Sebago this winter? Any luck on perch or crappie?

Thanks
BloodGroove4570
There's never a dull moment

Offline peterk814

• IceShanty Rookie

Crushed them hard last weekend.  This was 1 hole. Ended up with 197 perch.  Kept 40 between two guys.

Also had some really big bass including this solid 6 plus

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyYt8OMD_io[/video]

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Nice haul Peter!
It is what it is....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.