New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096411 times)

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Swinging Bridge

If you plan to park in the launch area you better have a very large 4X4 with good tires and a running start to break through the snow bank left by the town plows. The lot appears to be plowed out but the town locked the entrance doing road plowing.

I don't know which entity is in charge or responsible for the lot. Could be the DEC or the Power company that owns the lake rights or possibly even the town of Forestburgh but who ever it is has dropped the ball. Just about any truck with a plow could clean this up in a few passes.

Gamalot

After PM contact and Gamalot post I Emailed the DEC employee who assured me that it would be maintained ..the landing is maintained  by the Eagle Creek ...the DEC with be checking with them concerning the landing condition as reported by Gamalot.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Swinging Bridge

After PM contact and Gamalot post I Emailed the DEC employee who assured me that it would be maintained ..the landing is maintained  by the Eagle Creek ...the DEC with be checking with them concerning the landing condition as reported by Gamalot.

Thanks HD! Now that I know that Eagle Creek, formerly Mirrant is in charge, they are right down the road from me on the Rio and I can stop in and let them know.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks HD! Now that I know that Eagle Creek, formerly Mirrant is in charge, they are right down the road from me on the Rio and I can stop in and let them know.

Gary

Let us know how you make out after notifying them .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
I like the bigger ponds,all of them are pretty good when /if they are biting.

I wasn't aware that you were allowed to fish the other ponds in Harriman. According to their ice fishing flyer:

"When conditions allow, ice fishing is permitted on the following lakes and ponds:
Askoti, Kanawauke, Massawippa, Nawahunta, Sebago, Silvermine, Skannatati, Stahahe, Te-Ata, Tiorati, Welch, Hessian, Rockland, Blue, Eagle, and Little Dam lakes; Four Corners and Laurel Meadow ponds."

Are you referring to the Sterling Forest ones? I had the most disappointing year in memory last summer season at Blue Lake so I currently do no have a lot of confidence in Sterling Forest. Haven't fished the other ponds all that much although I know there was a fish kill at Four Corners in recent years.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Let us know how you make out after notifying them .

I stopped in at 4 PM and talked with the boss. He told me the plow truck blew the tranny and they were picking it up tomorrow from the repair shop. Could not guarantee that the launch would be plowed by Sat. but he would do his best to get up there.

They are good people at Eagle Creek so if I was a betting man I would say he will get it done.

Gamalot

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I wasn't aware that you were allowed to fish the other ponds in Harriman. According to their ice fishing flyer:

"When conditions allow, ice fishing is permitted on the following lakes and ponds:
Askoti, Kanawauke, Massawippa, Nawahunta, Sebago, Silvermine, Skannatati, Stahahe, Te-Ata, Tiorati, Welch, Hessian, Rockland, Blue, Eagle, and Little Dam lakes; Four Corners and Laurel Meadow ponds."

Are you referring to the Sterling Forest ones? I had the most disappointing year in memory last summer season at Blue Lake so I currently do no have a lot of confidence in Sterling Forest. Haven't fished the other ponds all that much although I know there was a fish kill at Four Corners in recent years.

There are a lot better of places to fish in Orange County than Harriman or Sterling Forrest and you don't have to worry about them being closed when there is a foot of ice

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro

Got these guys at a small local pond today (12", 13") Caugth a whole bunch of dink bluegills and pumpkinseeds as well, with only a few decent ones, but these jumbos made it worth it.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i made it out to one of my usual spots for 2 1/2 hours this evening. i kept 14 gills, 4 perch and 2 crappies. i let go 10-15 perch 5-6 crappies and about 75-100 gills.   had a little fun but learned itsdangerous to fish with my spoons! i cant get my gloves back on before hitting anorther fish!!!   i really felt the frost bite setting in...   lol
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
URGENT - IMPORTANT NEWS!!

Prayers are urgently needed for one of our SENY regulars  Joe Verderber, who's back in the hospital with Cardiac problems once again.  We all thought Joey had beaten this issue some time ago, but it's reared it's ugly head again.

Asking all of my ice fishing brothers and sisters to pray for his quick recovery.  Drop Joe a line on FB if you can..... try to cheer him up.

IceBalls

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I stopped in at 4 PM and talked with the boss. He told me the plow truck blew the tranny and they were picking it up tomorrow from the repair shop. Could not guarantee that the launch would be plowed by Sat. but he would do his best to get up there.

They are good people at Eagle Creek so if I was a betting man I would say he will get it done.

Gamalot

Thanks...if you venture to SWB this weekend lets us know of the conditions of the P/lot ...I want to go mid week ...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I want to go mid week ...

If you go let me know how the conditions are thinking of going up there next weekend....

I guess everyone is planning to fish this weekend went to my usual spot to get bait and they had none!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Received this from the DEC in regards to Swinging Bridge

Eagle Creek has been keeping up with the plowing after each snow event.  Apparently, there was a pile of snow at the entrance that was left by the county plow after Eagle Creek had finished plowing after the last storm.  Access into the launch should be passable at this time. 

Eagle Creek’s plow is in for mechanical service at the moment, and they have subcontracted the plowing work to a local contractor.  They hope to have their plow vehicle back on Monday 3/2/15.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Received this from the DEC in regards to Swinging Bridge

Eagle Creek has been keeping up with the plowing after each snow event.  Apparently, there was a pile of snow at the entrance that was left by the county plow after Eagle Creek had finished plowing after the last storm.  Access into the launch should be passable at this time. 

Eagle Creek’s plow is in for mechanical service at the moment, and they have subcontracted the plowing work to a local contractor.  They hope to have their plow vehicle back on Monday 3/2/15.

Thanks HD! When I spoke with the boss yesterday he was a bit unsure if the plow truck would be ready today and if the plow driver could get to all the different spots he does. Apparently the truck was not ready and they did step up to the plate and got it done for us. Not being much of a "Die Hard" these days, gets tougher by the years, I hope to be able to fish a bit if this darn wind and bitter cold will head back north. I will be out off the launch on Sunday and probably meet up with Shellfish and his pals out there. I always have my fishing partner with me, Brittany Spaniel and be careful coming out because she will lick you to death!

Gamalot

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I hope they did step up ....been wanting to fish SWB ...how is the walleye fishing near the boat launch area ... any tips Left ....Right ??

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll be out on Greenwood tomorrow from about 5am till dark

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I hope they did step up ....been wanting to fish SWB ...how is the walleye fishing near the boat launch area ... any tips Left ....Right ??

No tips from me! I have never caught a Walleye in my life but I have seen a few very nice ones from SWB and the Rio. I chase the trout in the Rio in early spring and late fall and they are in SWB too but rare to ever hook up with one. As a much younger fellow the Mongaup above 17B was a great trout water and also below the Rio dam but not so much these days. Think the DEC gave up on these waters.

Gamalot

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
IceBalls sorry to hear Joe (Holehawg) is having health problems once more remember him having major surgery a few years back. I will keep him in my prayers.

Gamalot/Gary good to see you posting here in the SENY thread.

Steve

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
How's the walking on White Pond over by Carmel? Any chance of a walleye,crappie, perch in there? Gonna hit it up this afternoon for the first time..Thanks

Offline Capt.morgan

• IceShanty Rookie
You hear of the occasional walleye out of white pond but I've never caught one. A lot of dinks in there. There are a lot of nice reservoirs in the area I'd go to first

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular

If you go left be careful on the ice where Black Lake empties into SWB.

Managed to get into the walleye twice on SWB and both times it was after dark and they came in and left within a half an hour. The first time literally all of my tip-ups went off in about 10 minutes and then they moved on. Sat out there many nights with nothing to show for it. But they are in there.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you go left be careful on the ice where Black Lake empties into SWB.

Managed to get into the walleye twice on SWB and both times it was after dark and they came in and left within a half an hour. The first time literally all of my tip-ups went off in about 10 minutes and then they moved on. Sat out there many nights with nothing to show for it. But they are in there.

That is probably why I have never caught a Walleye yet, always home by dinner time!

I think Shellfish is out there today and I will meet up with him tomorrow.

Gamalot

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thats interesting to me, i have fished SWB many many times and have done extremely well on the eyes. But oddly enough, majority of the big fish and limits came between 1 and 3 pm, with very little action happening in the low light hours. I do use extremely small set ups there though. 12 treble with 6 lb floro, never had a walleye break me off or come unbuttoned. The 10lb 30in fish i got there a few years back took me close to 25 minutes to land. Got it all in video which was neat.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use 6lb mono too but bigger hooks. It's encouraging to hear you get them in the afternoon. I'll have to give the place another shot. Congrats on the 10lb fish!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i plan to get out tomorrow and fish into the snow. i usually do good so my hopes are up. if anyone sees my "boss spoons" sled stop by and say hi.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shell, the lake is down u say?? Maybe worth a shot at my old haunt then

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So fished from about 5:30 to dark and way different than last week the eyes were there early but not in the numbers they were last week.... they disappeared around 7:30 8 along with the perch around 9.... moved around and went deeper they just weren't in the same area. Did however see 5 muskies on the camera the one stared it down and looked like he was gonna chow it down but he didn't also got into a school of white perch nothing big. Caught probably a dozen and a half perch kept 10 and also caught 19" smallmouth. Ice was 16". Face got a little sunburn with the beautiful day...

Also got to test out the ION and let me tell you what they will replace gas augers easily. Drilled 30-40 holes with it and it was still going. We also didn't keep the battery warm like you are supposed to most of the day. Lighter than a gas auger by far and no jerking like with the gas auger. But heavier than a hand auger (obviously) but not overly heavy. Cut through the ice no problem at all and in my opinion better and quicker than a gas auger would. If you're looking for a new auger that's what to get.

Looking to hit SWB this weekend (Sunday 3/8) for the first time since before they had to drain it due to the dam and through the ice. If anyone has some tips let me know please!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
loudmouth is that a aqua- vu camera & how do you like it ? wanted to get 1 this year herd  it was hard to see with with snow  cover on ice...
images.jpeg

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
loudmouth is that a aqua- vu camera & how do you like it ? wanted to get 1 this year herd  it was hard to see with with snow  cover on ice...

I have the Aqua Vu Micro 5w/DVR ....yesterday in about 13 feet of water with two foot of hard pack and ice and the sun was bright ..no clouds could see quite well

on other outings there was less visibility ...but there was no sun and a lot of snow atop the ice  ...

Yesterday instead of mounting it atop my Vexilar ...I clamped it to the Hoop pole via the GoPro Jaws grip/mount ..positioned the camera at my dead stick and jigged another hole with my Vexilar ..kinda like that set up .

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
LM ...nice catch ...got burnt pretty well myself ...I am usually good for sunblock ...not so much yesterday though .

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac

It is not an aqua vu it's a marcum not sure what model as it's at least 6 years old.... This is the most it's been used since my cousin first bought it.... The flashers are more practical for us since we hole hop a lot but now depending where we go and what we plan on doing we bring it if we're not going to move around a lot.... I like it when I don't plan on moving and depending on the body of water determines visibility but it's hard to see this particular model outside so if we don't plan on setting the hub up it doesn't go with us

I'm debating getting a camera to add to my arsenal or upgrading to the lx-6 or lx7....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.