New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096453 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
37 * now ..not certain its going to hit 48 * by 5 PM as predicted ...heavy fog though ...not good for the ice ..but those temps are a lot better then predicted ..the two inches of snow seems to be sticking around too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Orange County Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Appreciate the frequent updates hardwater diehard. I do most of my fishing in your neck of the wood's, hope we all will be out there soon. I'm sure everyone know's by now that we are supposed to get some really cold temps later in the week

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Shellfish welcome to the website, could you please add your general location to your profile/avatar. This helps other when answering questions. Thank you . Orange County Ice from what I have heard the state access to white Lake is not plowed regularly . There is a Municipal parking lot off of Rt.55 just past the Town of Bethel Justice court and fire house. (heading toward Swan Lake) If you go with a buddy maybe able to unload vehicle and then park in this lot.

Quailman2 I will make a phone call and see what they say about ATV's and Snowmobiles . This Is the first time for me fishing this contest ,no idea how much parking space there is at lake.

Just for everyone knowledge both the Monticello and Loch Sheldrake fire departments have websites. Do a search to find them or message me. I did not see any information posted on either contest. Also the annual King of The Ice contest is on Sunday Feb.15,2015 at White Lake. The Sullivan County Conservation club host contest. Once again do a search for the website. I'm sorry but if I post the different websites my post or info. maybe deleted since I have not gotten any of the contest info. cleared by Moderator Adk Roy .

One last item Thruway Sporting Goods on Oak street in Walden,NY. (Hanaford Supermarket) has various ice fishing gear on sale. The add was in Friday's Times Herald Record newspaper on page 18 (I think) . Once more sorry I can not post items or prices. The sponsors that keep this website free of membership fees sell similar products so website admin. will delete info.
Steve

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Anyone know how the lakes are looking in Sullivan? Trying to get out Wednesday Huntington, superior or wherever is safe.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
The ice should've held up pretty well with this wind. The pond by me is still frozen over looking good to go for this weekend but bring a spud just in case....

hit the 2000 mark man that's a lot but then I see adkroy's post count and realize I have a long way to go

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
The ice should've held up pretty well with this wind. The pond by me is still frozen over looking good to go for this weekend but bring a spud just in case....

hit the 2000 mark man that's a lot but then I see adkroy's post count and realize I have a long way to go

You think I'm bad, check this out:
top ten posters
Mainehazmt 9,777
billditrite 9,556
Rebelss 9,048
 rgfixit 8,967
adkRoy 8,296
 maineduckhunter 7,655
 Raquettedacker 7,621
ice dawg 6,291
filetandrelease 6,138
Skipper 5,976
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

• IceShanty Rookie
You think you have a long way Loudmouth879? This is post 18 for me!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The lakes by me took a beating ...opened up  a lot ...mostly the wind is just keeping the water moving(very windy over night up till now)  ...it is suppose to calm down some later 5-10 mph ..so they should lock up tonight . I am certain the larger lakes are not traversable .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Going to be my first time out on the ice this year. Do you guys have any spots close to Long Island to recommend? And as a quick question how long does it take to get one of NYC's special reservoir access permit.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Going to be my first time out on the ice this year. Do you guys have any spots close to Long Island to recommend? And as a quick question how long does it take to get one of NYC's special reservoir access permit.

believe you can apply on line and print it out

https://a826-web01.nyc.gov/recpermitapp/

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks a lot!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You think I'm bad, check this out:
top ten posters
Mainehazmt 9,777
billditrite 9,556
Rebelss 9,048
 rgfixit 8,967
adkRoy 8,296
 maineduckhunter 7,655
 Raquettedacker 7,621
ice dawg 6,291
filetandrelease 6,138
Skipper 5,976

But you're almost top dog for NY... or squirrel I should say  ;D

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
But you're almost top dog for NY... or squirrel I should say  ;D

yeah but try as I might, I'll never be able to surpass RGfixit, he's retired now and on here way more than me.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline fisher277d

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Haunted by waters
I fly fish the croton alot during summer n fall and have my dep watershed permit, is this all i need to ice fish the reservoir?
Dirty Drifters

Offline Fishfeller

• IceShanty Rookie
Anybody know what happened to Bob's bait and tackle in Katonah?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
yeah but try as I might, I'll never be able to surpass RGfixit, he's retired now and on here way more than me.  ;D
I was on that list for awhile. :)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello everyone, i know a lot of you here fished Greenwood Lake...so there was a 44 lb muskie caught yesterday from a boat, almost beat state record.
Here is the link to the article..http://www.fishhound.com/content/fishing-tale-almost-made-record-books

• IceShanty Rookie
Is this legit? Greenwood get's a TON of fishing pressure, amazing if this is true.

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hello everyone, i know a lot of you here fished Greenwood Lake...so there was a 44 lb muskie caught yesterday from a boat, almost beat state record.
Here is the link to the article..

that was caught back in December.... i think around the 10th on the Jersey side guy was vertical jigging for eyes

here's the old article about it.... if he didn't bring it home to celebrate he would be the state record holder

http://www.northjersey.com/towns/mt-lakes-man-s-muskie-nearly-beats-state-record-1.1166204?page=all

My fish was only 7.5" shorter but approximately 20lbs lighter as I never weighed it

• IceShanty Rookie
And so it begin's, nice job Loudmouth879, bringing clarity to the thread.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the article read he used 6lb test ??? that's it, i'm taking off the 4 lb. and spooling 6lb ice trilene ;D

hey I had 8lb on

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
And so it begin's, nice job Loudmouth879, bringing clarity to the thread.

Now I wish I weighed mine to actually see what it weighed lol

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Original weight of the fish was over 45 pounds the day he caught it (sunday), but because he had to wait till monday to get the certified scale, fish lost weight and was only around 40 pounds. Otherwise he would have made record.

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody know what happened to Bob's bait and tackle in Katonah?

Bob's is closed, Owner - John sold the shop last year.  There are two other bait shops in the area - One off of Route 35 in Cross River http://www.bedfordsportsman.com and Big Wave Sport and Tackle on Route 6 in Mahopac.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Original weight of the fish was over 45 pounds the day he caught it (sunday), but because he had to wait till monday to get the certified scale, fish lost weight and was only around 40 pounds. Otherwise he would have made record.

I'm not saying it wasn't a record fish if he had it weighed the day he caught it. Obviously it was big and legit and its all over every fishing forum that I've read.... I just know that I would've drove to any NJ environmental office or anywhere in NY to have that thing weighed if I thought it was close to being a record.... the weight difference between the length of mine and the length of his alone is 15lbs so I'm not saying its a fib I'm just saying it wasn't caught last week but instead about a month ago and also that the guy who caught the fish was lazy (no offense to the person who caught the fish if you read this)

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
I fly fish the croton alot during summer n fall and have my dep watershed permit, is this all i need to ice fish the reservoir?

You'll also need your NYS Fishing License  ;D

*Note* Croton Reservoir and Kensico are closed to ice fishing.  All the other East of Hudson Reservoirs are open unless otherwise posted by DEP.

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
i was on the boat with that musky 44 pounds on our scale and the baitshop scale but we couldnt get a certified scale at 9 in the morning on sunday tried like hell called everyone and their mother but couldnt get it weighed till monday by dec in Hacketstown

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i was on the boat with that musky 44 pounds on our scale and the baitshop scale but we couldnt get a certified scale at 9 in the morning on sunday tried like hell called everyone and their mother but couldnt get it weighed till monday by dec in Hacketstown

should've tried kaseys cast a ways in greenville open 24 hours.... I'm sure they have a certified scale since they are a weigh in station for the NYS Ice Pro Am tournament.... might not have mattered since it was in ny but it would've been better than waiting a day

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
NYBasser welcome to Ice Shanty, I have know idea how often it freezes over but you could try Lake Ronkonkama (spelling? ) . Also remember gas powered augers are not permitted on the NYC water supply reservoirs only hand and electric.

Loudmouth879 congrats on surpassing 2,000 posts. Also to me that fact you have a video of the catch and a mount of your musky means more then the actual weight of the fish. Both your fish and the gentlemen's in article are impressive and show conditions are good to produce a state record fish from either lake.

Looking like many of the smaller lakes will be ready by this weekend. Everyone remember safety first and enjoy yourself if you do venture out ice fishing.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.