New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096431 times)

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
So I packed up and headed in around 4 final tally 10 perch and only 1 eye.... that wind was a B@#*$ once it started around 11 it never let up..... Was a nice walk out to my spot everything was rock solid then after the sun hit it what a mess in was the afternoon.... slushy as could be.... this freeze we are getting sure is going to help oh yea ice was around 15"

Thanks for the report!
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
here's the eye.... it's even waving to you guys  :roflmao:

just shy of 3lbs

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
nice eye
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
hey guts, and ladies, i will be heading out to morningside to see if i can get into those crappies again one more time. also thinking of playing around looking for a eye in there. only got 2 from there so far over the years but with my spoons i might have a better shot. anyone wanna meet up pm me. ill be checking before i leave in the morning. if you wanna see my spoons in action join me! ill take orders if you want. right now i dont have many after everyone wanting some after the 2 contests wins, both with crappies....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
In this past Friday's Times Herald Record there were two adds which maybe of interest to you. The dates for The World Fishing&Hunting Exposition are Thurs day Feb.27-March 2 . Once again it will be held at Rockland Community College(RCC) in Suffern,NY. here is the website for the show  www.SportShows.com

Also Thruway Sporting Goods in Walden,NY.  has reduced prices on ice fishing gear , winter clothing and boots. I cut out the add so personal message me for more info. if you are interested in sales. Sorry but I can not post to much info. on sales or my post will be deleted as many of our website sponsors carry the same products.

Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
While we were dragging my 10 yr old nephew around in my jetsled looking for fish, a guy came up to us and told me he was leaving and he was on to some big gills and perch.   He suggested trying where he was. 

Dan if your on here, thank you very much. We didn't do as well as you, but we did ok.  You helped to light up a kids day, and make mine allot easier.

Kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well hit my local honey hole in Sullivan Co yesterday from 2pm til 9pm ....no drilling required used my holes from Thursday ice conditions are holding up quite well limited slush and very easy drag with Smitty sled.... managed 7 or more 9-11 in Crappies kept them and released a 14 and two 12 plus in crappies ...even managed to lose a couple at the hole ....been use an Optronics s green light just outside my flip over  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Optronics-Sumbersible-Fish-N-Lites-Green-LED/22177841  not sure if this why my catch rate has been good the last two outings but can't hurt . Good luck out there ..be going later today myself . :icefish:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
In this past Friday's Times Herald Record there were two adds which maybe of interest to you. The dates for The World Fishing&Hunting Exposition are Thurs day Feb.27-March 2 . Once again it will be held at Rockland Community College(RCC) in Suffern,NY. here is the website for the show  www.SportShows.com

Steve
i will be there in booth 303 hope to see some of you there  Capt . Dan

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey loudmouth did you jig that waldo up or was it on a tipup

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey loudmouth did you jig that waldo up or was it on a tipup

jigging

Fish for 4 hours this morning got a quarter pale of gills with 3 crappies lost another at the hole and a 4 perch today and two 16" bass all on the jig pole.... good way to start off the day

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well the warm up is all but over ....helped alot with all that snow ....gonna be hard pack by weeks ends  with those single digits at night ..guess lll will be drilling new holes ....been using my same holes since last Thursday ...another decent day yesterday 3 crappies two jigging and a suprise as i was pulling up my windlass.....bite didn't start till after 5 PM .....heard from other who had been out since 9 AM with nothing to report but wind .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
the ice/snow yesterday was pretty good to walk on. by dark as i walked in my foot went through about 5 or 6 times walking across the lake. i just hope the 2 inches of slush thats under the 2 inch of crust freezes fast, its a pain to hand drill through. but the crust is thick enough to hold weight. I'm 170 and it held me just fine and i met a larger man and he wasn't going through much either.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
As of this morning:Harriman had Tiorati and Welch open.
                                  Sterling had Four Corners and both Laurel Meadow North and South
Rockland lake is open. Fished it today from 9:45-130. Lots of bites but landed just one yellow perch. That wind was brutal but I tookshelter in my Fish Trap. Ice was slick and firm on the way out but some softer areas on the way back.
It is what it is....

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Does anyone have any info about Winding Hills Park, Highland Lake, or Shawangunk lake in the Montgomery/Crawford area of northern orange county? I noticed Highland and Shawangunk are part of a new state park, but I haven't been able to find any fishing info on these lakes. Has anyone fished here? Thinking of taking a ride over there next time I get bait and was wondering if it's worth my time. BTW, do you need a permit to fish winding hills park?

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
Tipup, You don't need a permit to fish Winding Hills as far as info on the others I have not fished them.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Does anyone have any info about Winding Hills Park, Highland Lake, or Shawangunk lake in the Montgomery/Crawford area of northern orange county? I noticed Highland and Shawangunk are part of a new state park, but I haven't been able to find any fishing info on these lakes. Has anyone fished here? Thinking of taking a ride over there next time I get bait and was wondering if it's worth my time. BTW, do you need a permit to fish winding hills park?
   Not finding any info on Shawankgunk or Highland lakes the areas you mentioned ....also didnt locate any new state lands in that area ??? Can you shed some light where you got your information . Thanks.     Nevermind my bad ...its Highland lake state park off of Tamms rd Town of Wallkill ...knew people that fished it open water some time ago ...large bass in some of them lakes ...lota weed growth in recent years .

Offline AmIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Found a way this weekend to get to Toronto resorvoir by snow machine any one have any tips for this lake does anyone have any idea where I can find walleye or perch there. Thanks

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the way things are looking we will be ice fishing in t-shirts with all the ice on the lakes

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
LM I WAS OUT YESTERDAY....A LONG SLEEVE TSHIRT .....LOL.....IT WAS NICE !

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
the way things are looking we will be ice fishing in t-shirts with all the ice on the lakes

Yes!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Fished to March 23rd last year ....that was a record for me ...this year looks to equal if not more ...PS no more snow please .

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
RIGHT ON. I donot want more snow,i find it very hard to walk in deep snow
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'd be fine with snow as long as it's not 2 feet like last time

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
HAS ANYONE EVER FISHED Sterling lake?

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
HAS ANYONE EVER FISHED Sterling lake?

Sterling Forest has numerous lakes. Blue Lake, which is sometimes referred to as Sterling Lake is a pretty good lake. You have a chance to catch Pickerel, Bluegills, Bass, Walleye(they stocked it years ago) and Brown Trout.
Big Sterling is off limits. Laural Meadow North and South are smaller but can be fun. Four Corners can be fished but they had a fish kill and I haven't fished it since.
You can contact the visitors center @ 845-351-5907. They can provide you with a list of what's open. As of yesterday just Four Corners and Laural North and South.
It is what it is....

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Does Anyone know if Hessian Lake in Bear Mountain State Park is open. I've heard there are some decent brown trout in there, any tips on how I can get them on tip ups(depth, line, hooks size, etc)? Thanks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Tipup28 do a Yellow Pages.com search for the phone number of the Bear Mountain Inn or Palisades Interstate Park Commission office at Bear Mountain,NY, . They can tell you if Hessian Lake is open at this time. It has been many years since I last ice fished there the end of lake closest to the Inn is deeper water. (40 feet in one spot)
Also here is the phone number for the ranger station at Winding Hills park (845)-457-4918 . Since it is a distance from you to either lake I would call first to get ice conditions.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
any tips on how I can get them on tip ups(depth, line, hooks size, etc)? Thanks

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=42.0 read away

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
Corndog thanks for the info. I was interested in big sterling but if its off limits we will stay out. Someone was telling me they had lakers in there I was just wondering.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Dougie welcome to the Ice Shanty family. I do not know if Big Sterling contains lake trout but it was heavily stocked during the years Sterling Forest Corp. owned the property. Before it became a state park you paid a yearly fee to be a member and were allowed access to 8 or 9 bodies of water. It was an additional fee to fish Big Sterling. You were able to buy daily permits I only fished it once with friends think it cost $25.00 for the day. The lake has parts with 100 foot or more depths so it could support lake trout. Also remember only certain bodies of water that contain trout species are open to ice fishing. Look under the general and ice fishing regulations on the D.E.C. website or in the booklet you receive with your license and you will see ice fishing is not permitted in trout bearing waters.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.