New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096198 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2014/02/red-hot-ice-fishing-tactics?src=SOC&dom=fb

here's a nice article for finding those fish... I do most of these tactics already...

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
12-16" of snow they are calling for as of now.... Won't stop me cause you'll find me on Greenwood lake maybe saturday definitely on Sunday and half the day Monday.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Got 14 or so on the ground now ...not looking forward to more ....lot of competitions this weekend ...Sacket ...Highland ...King of the Ice ....going to be rough going out there ....all that weight going to make it SLUSHY and WET ....hoping on that warm up they are predicting for next week ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Another great day out on Rockland Lake. The bite wasnt as fast and furious as yesterday, but Reelaction stayed true to his word and landed some impressive fish. His Mom hung tough(inside the heated hub,lol) and we were joined by my buddy and QTEAM! Reelaction landed some BIG whities..for size comparison, the White Perch on the bottom of the photo measured 14"!
We also had a visit from a reporter with a local paper, and a guy from South Africa!
It is what it is....

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another great day out on Rockland Lake. The bite wasnt as fast and furious as yesterday, but Reelaction stayed true to his word and landed some impressive fish. His Mom hung tough(inside the heated hub,lol) and we were joined by my buddy and QTEAM! Reelaction landed some BIG whities..for size comparison, the White Perch on the bottom of the photo measured 14"!
We also had a visit from a reporter with a local paper, and a guy from South Africa!

no northerns or muskie?
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Corndog thank you for posting the photos it looks like the bite is hot right now at Rockland lake. What did the fellow from South Africa have to say about ice fishing?
Steve

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Steve,
It pretty neat when you meet people from other parts of the globe. Marcus had never experienced anything related to ice fishing, and so it was awesome for myself, Reelaction and his Mom to show him the equipment and techniques we use. As well as describing the species of fish we caught and the differences between them.
He had some work done on his house and the guy told him about ice fishing and Rockland Lake. Anton is a photographer so he grabbed his gear and took the walk out to talk with us. It was the end of the day and the bite was near non exsistant.. So we could give him the chance to see us in action. He did take a bunch of pictures and sent me one last night. He mentioned his father was into fishing, but where he is from in South Africa there is no mention of ice fishing, lol!
It is what it is....

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
Dexter makes a real nice fillet knife. A good kitchen or restaurant supply will have them. American made with good steel.

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
After hearing most of my LI surf buddies rave about the Bubba knife, I got one.
Wouldn't own anything else.
http://www.bubbablade.com/

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Corndog I had a similar experience years back at Hessian Lake(Bear Mountain State Park the lake is right behind the Inn) ice fishing with a friend on Presidents Day . It was a slow day no fish but we had fun showing people how our hand augers worked , tipup usage and jig rods and jig collection. We had my friend HT Enterprises pop up shelter set up also ,thought we might get asked to leave by Park Rangers we had so many people walking out to talk with us  that day . We had set up at end of lake closest to the Inn.
 What news paper is the Photographer working for maybe you can post a link if your photo is published. Did you give the South African gentlemen  Ice Shanty's web address. I'm sure it would be a first to have a South African Member.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
To keep everyone updated I will call the Sand Beach Bar tomorrow night and see if the Mahogany Ridge Hunting and Fishing Club contest is still on for this Saturday Feb. 15,2014 .  I live by Newburgh and was out shoveling my driveway before logging in here close to 10 inches of snow already on the ground.  It will be ruff going on the ice at any of this weekend's contest.

The CONTEST WAS THE BACK UP FOR OUR ANNUAL S.E.NY. Get Together/Outing

Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Just a back up to the back up Monticello fire dept is hosting a contest on Sacket lake that same day .Sure if You contact the FD they would up dated info by tomorrow afternoon.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
What news paper is the Photographer working for maybe you can post a link if your photo is published. Did you give the South African gentlemen  Ice Shanty's web address. I'm sure it would be a first to have a South African Member.
Steve

The paper is the Journal News and I will make sure to let you know if it makes the papers.
I let Anton know the website info, but I will make sure to send him an email to remind him.
It is what it is....

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Never had a contest cancel due to snow?? Only thin or no ice! I live in orange county also about 10-12 inches of snow but I guess its part of winter. Tough walking but "that's ice fishing". I will be at highland contest and king of ice! Good luck guys!!!

Offline AmIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
I heard its gunna be in the forty for four days next week so most of the snow will melt and we'll have a slushy mess on our hands

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
ONCE AGAIN HAD A AWSOME TIME OUT THERE WITH CORNDOG HIS BUDDY, QTEAM AND OF COURSE MY MOM.WHAT A DAY OF UP AND DOWN THEN UP AND DOWN FISHING .WE STILL PUT A NICE CATCH TOGETHER AND I AM CHOWING DOWN NOW RIGHT NOW ..... AS CORNDOG SAID I STAYED TRUE TO MY WORD AND DID WELL WITH A FEW JIG CHANGES AND I WAS IN LOL HOPPING TO GET BACK OUT THERE BUT WITH THE SNOW ITS GOING TO BE A DRAG .HOPE THEY CLEAR THE LOT OUT . ONCE AGAIN CORNDOG THANKS AGAIN

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
ONCE AGAIN CORNDOG THANKS AGAIN

No problem!
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict

I totally understand where you're coming from. And it was unbelievable that they would do that.. printing that list. But I spoke to a guy who fishes himself. Who enjoys the sport and seemed to understand the concept of getting out there and enjoying yourself. He didn't print the list.. He just reports for the paper. It's like saying all cops suck or all doctors are crooks. Who knows if any of it will even make it to print.
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just measured and 17.5" total so far

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
wow! Time to break out the muck boots, it's gonna be a slushy one

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
We will need snow shoes this weekend!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Final measurement 23".... after tomorrow it will be 24-25" if not more lol.... Snowbanks from the plows are 5ft

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weekend contests still on I hope?. Going to be a real fun time in snow!!!!!it will be like working!!

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Steve, jghunter, Iceballs, and all Interested.....

The Mahogany Ridge contest at Highland Lake will take place as scheduled tomorrow February 15th....Getting around on the ice won't be easy but it will still be a great time with Good Food, Beverages, Fun, and Fisihng! Who's all going?? I'll see you there!

Kevin"reelemin" Riley

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will be there with three friends!!!great contest and I will be at king of the ice the following day!!my only question is do I bring snowshoes or do I bring my 4 wheel drive ATV???? Hope to see u guys there!Maybe pay someone to plow lanes in ice. Lol

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will be there with three friends!!!great contest and I will be at king of the ice the following day!!my only question is do I bring snowshoes or do I bring my 4 wheel drive ATV???? Hope to see u guys there!Maybe pay someone to plow lanes in ice. Lol
Bring snowshoes  .
 We got 16" I have a bobcat 863 whit chains on all 4 and was impossible to go on unplowed places .

The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
Andy - always a pleasure w/ you and your sidekick. Reelection that's an impressive piece of heated real estate you have. Allot of laughs - that's what it's all about!!
Will keep ane eye out for the press release and let you know.
May hit Harriman tommorow
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Reelemin/Kevin thank you for the information I called the Sand Beach Bar twice today and got their answering machine both times. To all going out this weekend have fun the conditions will be challenging and good luck to all fishing in the various contest. I still have to dig out my mail box and remove some snow from the roof of house had ice damn problem back in January. Do not want to repeat that experience.
I'm estimating there is a total of 15 inches of new snow on top of what was still on the ground from last week's storm. I hope we do not have any major storms for a while don't know where I will put the snow.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Reelemin/Kevin thank you for the information I called the Sand Beach Bar twice today and got their answering machine both times. To all going out this weekend have fun the conditions will be challenging and good luck to all fishing in the various contest. I still have to dig out my mail box and remove some snow from the roof of house had ice damn problem back in January. Do not want to repeat that experience.
I'm estimating there is a total of 15 inches of new snow on top of what was still on the ground from last week's storm. I hope we do not have any major storms for a while don't know where I will put the snow.
Steve

It'll all be gone next week 40's and rain starting tuesday 50's by the end of next week

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2014/02/red-hot-ice-fishing-tactics?src=SOC&dom=fb

here's a nice article for finding those fish... I do most of these tactics already...

Great article.
Thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.