New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096219 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Loudmouth I believe there is a thread for Greenwood Lake among the Reports and Conditions forum.

There are more lakes than just greenwood lake in orange county that people fish.... its okay tho I'll keep my honey holes to myself  ;D

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
There are more lakes than just greenwood lake in orange county that people fish.... its okay tho I'll keep my honey holes to myself  ;D
  Do tell....we should add an Orange County lake to the possible on ice gathering for later this season ...as I am not familar with the waters in Orange county that would be good for parking/access safe ice etc.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline iceslammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
loudmouth879 is right lots of lakes but Greenwood Lake is the biggest with lots of parking would be a good spot

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Nooooooooo it's going to be 40 for a couple of days at the end of next week! :'(

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just checked some water in ulster, had about an 1.5 white ice. Hopefully be good to go by next weekend, judging by the weather.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I have tried to get a separate thread for Orange/Rockland, but we are too small of a group, and this thread is one of the biggest on Iceshanty. It will do.  ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
loudmouth879 is right lots of lakes but Greenwood Lake is the biggest with lots of parking would be a good spot
  I was under the impression Greenwood lake had very limited access ...all private lands and marinas ? If there is parking where would one find it ? Thanks in advance .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion

Just means you guys talk to much....     ;D ;D     ;) ;) ;)
:thumbsup:
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  I was under the impression Greenwood lake had very limited access ...all private lands and marinas ? If there is parking where would one find it ? Thanks in advance .

Unless you know a homeowner the only parking and access is at thomas bull park in greenwood lake on the north end of the lake between the 2 arms.... From there to where I want to fish this year it's about a mile walk lol so I'm trying to find someone who knows someone a little closer to where I want to fish this year 

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
loudmouth, you know I wouldn't give up any classified gps musky hotspots ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
loudmouth, you know I wouldn't give up any classified gps musky hotspots ;D

I'm fine with never catching muskie again ;D I'm after the walleye this year!

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
me too my friend ;D me too

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Someone just informed me of a Chodikee Lake report. Anyone hear anything?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just checked the weather and they're saying 3-5" during the day and 5-8" at night..... So much for the skim ice we have

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Checked Louisa Pond today. 3" black ice. I'm gonna wait for 5", but should be on sometime end next week.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Leaving for the gathering in a few minutes ...hope to meet alot of you there .

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Leaving for the gathering in a few minutes ...hope to meet alot of you there .
see everyone there!! Those that don't know I work at gander mtn in the fishing department and I will b working today. Just ask for joe.

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
see everyone there!! Those that don't know I work at gander mtn in the fishing department and I will b working today. Just ask for joe.
say joe, be safe if driving under these slippery conditions,, my road is white and the town salters have yet to bother plowing or salting it. Same because I was going to stop at donkin donuts for a huge box full of assorted donuts..on rt to the meet. Anyway gl

Offline jef

• IceShanty Rookie
 Hello everyone
 I was wondering if anybody knew of any safe ice in sullivan or ulster counties
                                                                                                                                thanks
                                                                                                                                  jef

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hello everyone
 I was wondering if anybody knew of any safe ice in sullivan or ulster counties
                                                                                                                                thanks
                                                                                                                                  jef

wait till after the rain next week

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
no doubt, I would not risk walking on any ice less 5 inches especially snow on top . Could be next week but only if it stays cold.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just got my mousies that i ordered.... all look alive and well. Luckily I ordered before the price went up $2  :o

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just got my mousies that i ordered.... all look alive and well. Luckily I ordered before the price went up $2  :o
nOW watch they be in the baitshops this year ;D I prefer mousies anyday but spikes will do fine as well.. either come in handy and important for panfishing. I would rather tip a half minnow on the hardlures.. like the sonar in 1/4oz or 3/8oz colorS I have done well is chartruese /perch patterns fire tiger.. spro barreled to main line a  20inches 8 lb flourocarbon leader my knot is a Davey knot.. fast strong easy to tie.. works great for all species. Go with lighter combo for pannies and bigger jig combo for the bigger gamefish :tipup:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
nOW watch they be in the baitshops this year ;D

Still cheaper that getting them in the bait shop. If they are in the bait shop that will be good cause when I run out I can just get more

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hope after that warm weather next week that it gets cold and stays cold!!!!! Nice meeting everyone that went to gander mtn. I wish I could of talked more to u guys. I'm going to talk to the store manager about having Ice fishing seminars.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
BigJoesFishing it was nice to meet you this afternoon and thank you for your efforts to get more ice fishing events and gear at the store. I did not look to see if Hardwater Diehard has posted a follow up thread to the preseason gathering. So here is a brief description including Big Joe who stopped in briefly there was a total of five members and one spouse.(IceBalls wife) We discussed our ice fishing experiences and opinions of different area lakes/ponds. Hardwater Diehard brought one of Member Crappie Guy's tip downs for all to view. A nice piece of gear the rod tips with little resistance looks like it would be good for catching panfish. I brought my Arctic Armor float suit  and talked what I felt were it's strong and weak features. Dewey Icefish talked about the New York Ice Pro-Am Tournament Series . He fished the event at Tupper Lake,NY. last year and placed second in his category with a northern Pike if you go back in this thread you can see his photos and prize winnings . The tournament is a sponsor of the New York community here on Ice Shanty. One of the organizers Tim Thomas is a member of this website.
 We talked about this seasons on ice gathering and the pros-cons of different lakes. Being such a small group we did not pick a date or lake. Hopefully in future years we will have better weather and maybe change the date so as not to overlap the big game hunting season. also discussed a few ideas for next year there are a couple members on this website who we thought of inviting to share their knowledge on Lake trout and Walleye, Big Joe said he will speak with store management and see if we can get a local ice pro to come maybe do a joint Ice Shanty -Gander Mountain event.
 Hardwater, Dewey. and Big Joe it was nice to meet all of you today. Iceballs/Roger good to see you again hard to believe it has been almost five years since we first met at the 2009 Gathering at Lake Huntington also nice to meet your wife. I hope all of you had safe trips back to your respective homes. 
MR.Clean/Steve                            Members in attendance Hardwater Diehard ,Dewey Ice fish. BigJoesFishing,IceBalls and his wife and yours truly.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Checked my farm pond today. Less than an inch of black ice with lots of slush ice on top. Poked right through with my auger. Gonna have to wait another two weeks or so.

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
i grew up in orange county near west point/bear mountain. theres alot of good fishing in the bear mountain lakes and if you can gain access theres great fishing in some of the west point lakes as well.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.