New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096253 times)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Was on Huntington yesterday. 5 inches of ice and there was a crazy guy driving a side by side around the entire lake.
yeah, we've met him, and he is crazy! ::) thanks for the info.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline frontrowjoe20

• IceShanty Rookie
Hes defintly a nutt.   once it hits 6-7 inches he takes his chevy colorado out there doin 20 mph by ya.    just a bit scary lol

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
i'll be fishing in the morning...

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                              do you think huntington will be safe in am? :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Walton and round lake are both locked up. Walton its mostly black ice but didn't have my spud to stop and check thickness but doesn't look like much
ok thanks for letting me know.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
There were 3 guys standing pretty close together today on Morgan lake, and I had 5 inches on a small pond last night in Dutchess ( and a mess of small gills).
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There were 4 people on glenmere today. However, I was not one of them.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
yeah, we've met him, and he is crazy! ::) thanks for the info.

I cannot believe he is still around there......he is quite the guy...lol

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
                              do you think huntington will be safe in am? :icefish:

i hope so, or i'll be swimming! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hes defintly a nutt.   once it hits 6-7 inches he takes his chevy colorado out there doin 20 mph by ya.    just a bit scary lol
Worst part is, that's not even his truck, it's borrowed and the owner has asked him repeatedly not to drive it on the ice.  He thinks that he is the Mayor of Lake Huntington.  He's actually a dirtbag that's inherited everything that he has. 
Mark it 8 dude

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
upjon, what do they actually stock in that lake ?   and if you have a problem with those of us that purchase a license in the state of NY..mind you I pay 70.00 for mine, compared to whatever the resident fee is.....as far as raping the lake, you can keep all the pickerel we throw back, and alll the browns they stock in there......as far as perch and panfish....I'll keep what I catch.....it's part of the game I guess....

BTW.....I'm not from " the south " either....protect it all you want..the proper authorities will be notified if needed.... :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
They stock channel cats, walleyes, and brown trout.  I don't know if they still stock smallmouths now that they have a foothold and are reproducing on their own.  Personally, I think that they are putting too many kinds of fish in there.  There used to be huge schools of Alewives that you would see all over in the summertime, you don't see them anymore.  Years ago we would catch a few trout that were in the 5-10 pound range.  The alewives aren't there in the #'s that used to be, so the trout don't thrive there like they used to.  Been fishing that lake for 30 years, it's definitely changed a lot recently since they started stocking these new fish.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They stock channel cats, walleyes, and brown trout.  I don't know if they still stock smallmouths now that they have a foothold and are reproducing on their own.  Personally, I think that they are putting too many kinds of fish in there.  There used to be huge schools of Alewives that you would see all over in the summertime, you don't see them anymore.  Years ago we would catch a few trout that were in the 5-10 pound range.  The alewives aren't there in the #'s that used to be, so the trout don't thrive there like they used to.  Been fishing that lake for 30 years, it's definitely changed a lot recently since they started stocking these new fish.

I know what you mean about the baitfish balls you used to see all over the lake..I have pictures of them...thousands and thousands of bait.....Personally when I fish there, I target perch, sunfish and crappies.....and the occasional pickerel too....if I had to guess, I would say that the walleyes and the pickerel would be rhe reasoning behind the lack of alewives...

Offline upjon

• IceShanty Rookie
great,,,now we will have 200 guys out there,,way to go

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah, that's no secret what they stock in there, it's right on the federation's sight and everyone knows. 
Mark it 8 dude

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
had an okay morning today

5 crappie biggest 14", 5 perch biggest 13", and 1 gill

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
yup, 200 people whose license fees and taxes pay for the stocking of fish, as far as the trout are concerned. ;D

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/23225.html

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                            I fished huntington this am ,caught a few blue gills jigging & large mouth bass on tip ups
                            they  were all small & throw back ... I did not rape the lake...  :icefish: :icefish: by the way I had a 14" perch
                            at superior last year ... :)  ;D
images.jpeg

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Also stopped by Glenmere today and found 5 inches of ice where I walked out to 2/3rds of the way across

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dewey, how much ice was on Huntington ?  Maybe be looking to get down there later this weekend ?

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                                              topher7694 The ice was about 5"- 6" to the right of the boat launch it started to sleet & rain
                                              I got out of there 11am...
images.jpeg

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Dewey....I have to see what all is in my Schedule...maybe fish there Sunday early..

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a tough time believing the fine locals of Sullivan county dont have anything to do with a lack of fish in your local waters... Feel free to chime in guys from OC, but I have a tough time believing you guys go and keep your limit every opportunity you have.  (Its those guys out of NYC that cause all of our problems never the local guys..) Sarcasm ;D

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Also stopped by Glenmere today and found 5 inches of ice where I walked out to 2/3rds of the way across
nice the ice will not last for long because of the rain and the temps this weekend.....but hopefully its freezes up again quick!

onice2013

I let go all the trout even walleye that are either under the size limit or too big to taste as good, plus the big ones are the spawners. I have no problem with anybody non or resident stringing fish to eat as long as they follow the rules and regulations.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished up at Schroon  today with Kevin (BC Shanty), Tony and Butch. Got into some nice lakers and salmon.  Ice was good, 5.5" of solid black ice!

Mike

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings and welcome to the new members in the SENY area. Finally purchased and installed security software so I'm back in action. Topher thank you for the tip about avg ,but I have already purchased trend my brother in law recommended it installed program on Friday night.
   Glad to see some of you have already gotten out on the ice. The weather forcast calls for a lot of rain in my area the next few days that will not be good for ice production coupled with daytime temps in the upper forties. Sullivan county with its higher elevations and slightly colder temps might pull through alright,as they say we shall see in time.
   Now i have to build up my typing speed and get familiar with this sites features again ,can some one tell me how to adjust the time I'm still an hour behind.
   Take care and stay safe.

Steve

onice2013

Nice land-lock, wow, 5.5 inches is all that is up all the way upstate ??? hope this rain doesn't melt away too much ice,, we need to through these days of warm without the drench or we be waiting again ..maybe at best February ??? crazy weather indeed ::) must be balmy up in the ADK region too

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Nice land-lock, wow, 5.5 inches is all that is up all the way upstate ??? hope this rain doesn't melt away too much ice,, we need to through these days of warm without the drench or we be waiting again ..maybe at best February ??? crazy weather indeed ::) must be balmy up in the ADK region too

42 degrees un the southern adk's right now.   :P
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

onice2013

next cold snap will be interesting on these forums,, that will be the time the revealing ice damage reports show up. Until than, I hope the nights can stay below freezing long enough to get through this warm  (rain) forecast

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
This weather is similar to last year, there was some what of a cold snap beginning of the year, few guys got out for a day and than rest of the year it was warm. At least in the southern NY.  >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.