New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096269 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Greetings everyone I know it has been quite awhile since my last post. I hope everyone has had a good holiday season .
  Like many other Americans the last few years have not been the greatest for me financially, I need to install new security software on my computer. Then hopefully I can get back on Ice Shanty more often miss reading all of your posts.
  A good ice season to all of you and may you all have a happy healthy 2013.

Steve

Steve, go with AVG ....it's free and downloads in no time....

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
Steve, go with AVG ....it's free and downloads in no time....
Topher is on the money, AVG is awesome and free. Got it running on all my machines.
I also have malwarebytes installed, free and also good.

Offline Rich_Weinberg

• IceShanty Rookie
I received a gift of tipups and gear last year, and hope to get a chance to try to use them this year.  Now to figure out how to use the stuff.  How is the best way for a newcomer to learn how to ice fish?  I have no auger, but I think I have the other stuff.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
I received a gift of tipups and gear last year, and hope to get a chance to try to use them this year.  Now to figure out how to use the stuff.  How is the best way for a newcomer to learn how to ice fish?  I have no auger, but I think I have the other stuff.

First welcome aboard. THis is a great site. Spend time exploring it and you'll learn alot.

Second, I reccommend our find an Icefishing partner program.  You should be able to find someone who's willing to meet up with you and show you how to ice fish.  Click on the link below:

Find and icefishing partner
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!

Rich.....WELCOME TO THE SHANTY !!!   First, you should let us know where you are located so some local guys can offer to take you out (and they will!!).  If you scroll ddown to the end of all the States pages, you will find a list of interesting topics which will get you started on learning this game correctly, such as  General Tips, Equipment, IceSafety, and many others. 

If you're anywhere near Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Sullivan, Orange counties....you are welcome to join me and my regular buddies any time.  We're grumpy old men, but you can learn a lot from us (besides, we need some young blood to drag our gear out on the ice).   LOL    IceFishing is THE BEST ......  ENJOY !!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Hey, don't forget about the local PA guys too buddy !    I was on 3.5" in PA this morning for about an hour... heckuva Christmas present if I do say so myself !

TOPHER...... 3.5 inches????  You have " Muy Grande' Cojones" my friend!!!   Don't do that !!!!   Didn't mean to forget all my Pa. buds .....   MERRY CHRISTMAS  & HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you and your families.  Here's to a better year in 2013 !!

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict

TOPHER...... 3.5 inches????  You have " Muy Grande' Cojones" my friend!!!   Don't do that !!!!   Didn't mean to forget all my Pa. buds .....   MERRY CHRISTMAS  & HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you and your families.  Here's to a better year in 2013 !!
3.5 on black ice is not too bad.  Easier to drill, lol

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick

Rodger....it was a good 3.5" .....Holehawg and I were out first trip last year on 3" black that was 2.25 to 2.5 when we left.....that was a bit scary...

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Rodger....it was a good 3.5" .....Holehawg and I were out first trip last year on 3" black that was 2.25 to 2.5 when we left.....that was a bit scary...
yeah last year there was less ice come the end of almost EVERY day! but with the temps and no real snow as of yet 3 of black ice is safe for my light lil butt!!! lol
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
welcome Rich! let us know where you are, so one of us can get you out there!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
didn't get on the ice today as everything seemed to be just skimmed over but did take the shotguns out today

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
some fine table fare right there ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Merry belated Christmas everyone!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Nice shooting loudmouth
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Rich_Weinberg

• IceShanty Rookie
I am in Westchester, next to the Taconic Parkway, and look forward to trying out my gear.  I look forward to getting help and trying ice fishing.  Weather is getting lousy - might as well use the cold to ice fish.  Iceballs, I have to work weekdays, but look forward to getting help. 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Welcome Rich.  Im up in Dutchess just off the Taconic.  When we get safe ice Ill give you a shout

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yea it wasn't good shooting it was ok shooting we missed 3 others but all those came from our 2nd spot we went to the 1st didn't produce at all didn't even see one at the first spot

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
ICE  BALLS whats cooking i see you fared the sandy storm !!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ICE  BALLS whats cooking i see you fared the sandy storm !!!!

Hi Danny.....Yeah, Sandy beat us up a little and we're still trying to re-build.  You going to do some ice fishing with us this year???   Are you going up to R.I. to run  one of the Cod boats??   W fished up there for the last three years.... how about joining us this year???

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas and a Happy fishing New Year.
Looking forward to this year on the ice, I have a new fishing buddy,,, my 5 year old grandson..He was watching me go through my gear the other night and he is more excited than I am!!  I think I,m creating a lil monster--T-Ball last year and got him playing golf also with his own clubs,, and he did pretty good!!!
See ya on the ice!!!

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
Hi Danny.....Yeah, Sandy beat us up a little and we're still trying to re-build.  You going to do some ice fishing with us this year???   Are you going up to R.I. to run  one of the Cod boats??   W fished up there for the last three years.... how about joining us this year???

i plan on doing alot of ice fishing this year....i rented a cabin at oneida lake this winter in february .i did it 2 years ago and did well . let the ice moooooon i cant wait...as for the cod boats im not doing it this year .but i might go up to do a day or 2 of fishing talk to you soon

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
i  rather  eat  meat  then  fish  anyday....nice   very  nice

onice2013

It looks promising for early January for small water in Orange/Sullivan county and on up. The lakes must have cooled down quite a bit with the snow and overcast weather today,, next few days cold cold cold means safe enough ice hopefully by weekend

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                             I am taking a ride on fri. to check out some lakes in sullivan co ...
                             hopefuly the snow didn't hurt the ice ...maybe by sat get out there... :)  :) :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don't see how we're going to get any ice with this 60MPH wind blowing every day !!! 

Dewey.....take a look at Superior or Huntington .......Maybe ???????

Offline Pointer

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know if Glenmere Lake in Orange County, NY has sufficient ice yet to get out on it? Was thinking of trying to jig some panfish there tomorrow if possible.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Does anyone know if Glenmere Lake in Orange County, NY has sufficient ice yet to get out on it? Was thinking of trying to jig some panfish there tomorrow if possible.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Nope not enough ice. It's a slushy mess with open water. Any ice that does form in the next few days is going to be junk white ice

Offline Pointer

• IceShanty Rookie
Loudmouth, thanks for the info. That's a nice mess or rabbits you got there. I was running beagles on rabbits this morn. Guess I'll be doing the same thing again tomorrow.

Thank again

Chris

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Loudmouth, thanks for the info. That's a nice mess or rabbits you got there. I was running beagles on rabbits this morn. Guess I'll be doing the same thing again tomorrow.

Thank again

Chris

Yea we should've had 3 more tho but we got those with no dogs since none of us own beagles... probably could have had 12 with dogs

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                      I took a ride around Sullivan Co. today... It doesn't look good for this weekend .
                      I went to lake  huntington 2 small patches of ice rest is open water ...
                      I went to superior 3/4 open water  the rest is slush ice...
                      I went to white lake & no ice at all...
                      I drove by lake louise marie looks like frozen slush ...
                      I drove by wawanasink lake   frozen up by the island   rest pertty much open water...
                      I went to masten lake it is frozen up with slush ice... all the lakes I went to ice is unsafe ...
                      I could not even stand on the ice by shore at any lake ...no good   I am starting to get depressed ...
images.jpeg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.