New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096348 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Ooo...Donuts! So, where's Highland.

Highland Lake is in Highland, NY, Sullivan County.  Access is at the Sand Beach Bar (Google it)  Only going depending on snowfall from the storm expected this week.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm gonna be at the Crappie Derby still.....Holehawg, that tourney on Lower Woods Sunday....I met and fished with the guy Sat on Long Pond, he doesn't even have the permits necessary to fish it.....I do not believe that I will be there for Sunday....
okie dokie buddy... i might be fishing the d fer wallys sat and sun topher...waiting fer my new auger blades from jiffy.... ::)

Offline numinous

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the going gets tough the tough go fishing!
So is it just me or is Walton Lake the dead sea? I've fished there 3 days this winter and got zero flags and one 16" smallmouth jigging. I've tried all kinds of baits, all kinds of jigs, all depths and all FOWs. Whazzup wid dat?

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
ware did that fish come from?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
So is it just me or is Walton Lake the dead sea? I've fished there 3 days this winter and got zero flags and one 16" smallmouth jigging. I've tried all kinds of baits, all kinds of jigs, all depths and all FOWs. Whazzup wid dat?

It's the dead sea if your fishing for trout thats for sure but we were there a few days ago and got 4 smallies and 1 largemouth and 1 perch and a few mishooks but not many flags maybe 3

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline numinous

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the going gets tough the tough go fishing!
ware did that fish come from?
Out to the right of the DEC parking lot in about 30 FOW, 22' down

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum.

Just want to let you all know that Tiorati is finally open.
Fished it yesterday.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum.

Just want to let you all know that Tiorati is finally open.
Fished it yesterday.

so how did you do?
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
    first trout,,sullivan county

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
you have to pick the day with the highest chance of success, like the 3rd day of stable weather. ;)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
so how did you do?

Nothing special - couple of bass, some perch.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Hey SNYBSTer's Hauling snow when not plowing. Anything new?... Pooley's gathering still on?  ???
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Semperfi,
Beauty Trouts eh? ... is it just me, or is that fish all head?  Looks like the bod should be another 6" longer.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
thanks ,,all head,,pulled about a shot glass full off eggs out of her,

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
Nice Catch!!

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular

Heres' one from the Dead Sea that I got on 1/17

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
very nice,,were is the dead sea

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walton Lake

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
there in there. here is one from a few years back.

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline gosha

• IceShanty Rookie
nice brown! looks like it is between 4 to 5lbs!  Are they good eats? How do you cook trout that big? Also wondering how long can you keep fresh cleaned fish/fillets in the frigerator before worrying about it going bad? I had perch fillets four days in frig and decided to fry them and refrigerate because I was afraid the fillets would spoil after four days uncooked. I didn't want to freeze them cause I want to eat them after snow blowing for lunch ;D lol

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey SNYBSTer's Hauling snow when not plowing. Anything new?... Pooley's gathering still on?  ???
its still in the "r&d" stage... ;) ;D...soon we'll have to put the rubber to the road and set a date and place.... ;D

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
nice brown! looks like it is between 4 to 5lbs!  Are they good eats? How do you cook trout that big? Also wondering how long can you keep fresh cleaned fish/fillets in the frigerator before worrying about it going bad? I had perch fillets four days in frig and decided to fry them and refrigerate because I was afraid the fillets would spoil after four days uncooked. I didn't want to freeze them cause I want to eat them after snow blowing for lunch ;D lol
I use to work in a fish market down on Long Island........The rule of thumb.....at least for me was......3 days in fridge whole (unfilleted) up to 5 days in fridge filleted but they must be cooked/frozen by the 5th day.  Another trick they use in alot of restaurants....and I also use myself........is to flour egg and breadcrumb the fillets and then freeze them on a tray or plate (do not overlap fillets).  Then after they freeze you can ziploc bag them.....they wont get freezer burnt because they have a coating on the fillets......then you can just come home and throw in hot oil or butter and in 4-5 minutes it's done.....good luck and tight lines
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
give me a week or so gang. i would like to set it up for greenwood lake. muskie, trout, walleye, perch, crappie, and bass. i just want to make sure the snow won't mess things up. ;)

Offline gosha

• IceShanty Rookie
I use to work in a fish market down on Long Island........The rule of thumb.....at least for me was......3 days in fridge whole (unfilleted) up to 5 days in fridge filleted but they must be cooked/frozen by the 5th day.  Another trick they use in alot of restaurants....and I also use myself........is to flour egg and breadcrumb the fillets and then freeze them on a tray or plate (do not overlap fillets).  Then after they freeze you can ziploc bag them.....they wont get freezer burnt because they have a coating on the fillets......then you can just come home and throw in hot oil or butter and in 4-5 minutes it's done.....good luck and tight lines
Hammer, the fish was still good  after four days. Ate them all italianbreadcrumb  quick= fried  in a omellete pan with a little olive oil. Where do you have access on greenwood lk?

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
I'd be up for a greenwood lake perch fry. keep me posted

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
Whats everyones plan for tomorrow?  Anyone fishing?, if so where.  Planned on going to Whitney Point then work decided to mess with that.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Son of Duke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • American With Pride
Doing good so far this year. Landed a bucket full of crappies and pickerel last weekend including  the biggest crappie of my life measuring a little over 17" inches. I wanted to see if i could continue my luck at greenwood lake possibly sunday or monday. Does anyone know if greenwood is safe to fish right now? I live near swan lake and white lake...don't want to take the trip for nothing.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Survived the Crappie Derby today.........caught one crappie, which was more than alot of other people......met some new people and had a great time....will post pics a bit later...

Holehawg....I will be at Lower Woods tomorrow, but with only a hand auger....Sending the Jiffy out next week to get it fixed right....if it was a computerized engine, I could easily have fixed it....I'm just not good with carbs and 2 strokes

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Doing good so far this year. Landed a bucket full of crappies and pickerel last weekend including  the biggest crappie of my life measuring a little over 17" inches. I wanted to see if i could continue my luck at greenwood lake possibly sunday or monday. Does anyone know if greenwood is safe to fish right now? I live near swan lake and white lake...don't want to take the trip for nothing.
  check on the Greenwood thread in the ice fishing reports and conditions

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.