New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096302 times)

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Years ago(25) I use to do well at Superior Lake. We've always done well on Black Lake also, open water or ice. I haven't heard much about Black Lake though, anyone fish it?
Bart, I'm pretty sure black lk. is now a private community.. I tried looking for access a few season ago. Yeah, agree 25 years alot has changed! In all honesty, I think the state should at least consider warm water stocking programs to promote better fishing opportunities. Superior has alot of 25 ft water and a small section has just over 30ft on my depth finder. I wish the DEC would stock it with blk crappie.. only caught a few specimens in three ice seasons.. tried Superior over a dozen times.. jigged mostly dink perch..still nice pickerel  but i'm not big on pickerel .For the few places to ice fish up that way,  I heard from a local guy I met up at SWB that the electric co. is starting to fill up toronto res. But I'm not interested in walking that far where the ice fishing is supposedly good.
lonelywolf lol

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
yes, you can keep trout at huntington all year.

Pooley am I mistaken but, last year didn't that local guy say he could not remember the last time he saw a trouts come out at Huntington?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bart, I'm pretty sure black lk. is now a private community.. I tried looking for access a few season ago. Yeah, agree 25 years alot has changed! In all honesty, I think the state should at least consider warm water stocking programs to promote better fishing opportunities. Superior has alot of 25 ft water and a small section has just over 30ft on my depth finder. I wish the DEC would stock it with blk crappie.. only caught a few specimens in three ice seasons.. tried Superior over a dozen times.. jigged mostly dink perch..still nice pickerel  but i'm not big on pickerel .For the few places to ice fish up that way,  I heard from a local guy I met up at SWB that the electric co. is starting to fill up toronto res. But I'm not interested in walking that far where the ice fishing is supposedly good.
The walk is definately not worth it at Toronto.......did it last year in 6" of snow..........caught 1 perch about 13" and a few smallies....thats it. Maybe I wasn't fishing the right spot....was right off the dam.....not much water anywhere else. The walk took longer than the ride in the truck....lol   Never again
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Pooley am I mistaken but, last year didn't that local guy say he could not remember the last time he saw a trouts come out at Huntington?
lol..hey jimmyclaude!!!! i'll take your word!! 2583 posts! :o coincidentally, i just got off the ph. with my fishing partner.. tried to sway him to try huntington..after my poor solo SWB outing the previous day..but since he is driving ,i'm not fussing over where to fish! so we are going to try those illusive eyes once again in the hard to fish depths of the Swinging bridge ..if  all goes well, we will be on early sat.   this time we will set 10  :tipups: and both be jigging too.
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
hammer, the last time we icefished toronto was the season before they drained it. From the only public access ramp..We hiked all through and around that first turn point with the huge manchant estate,, resi was full then and the avg dept was around mid 20ft to 30s we did nothing tipup or jigging. think we tried it twice that  ice season was short due to early thaw.I heard big trout are being had this season if you care to hike!  hiking is also not my idea of fishing! 8)
lonelywolf lol

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
yeah, i remember.   

Lake Huntington (Cochecton) 1760 Brown trout 9"----from the DEC stocking list  :-\
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
we'll find some when we fish there    ;)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Hi Guys............  Haven't been around for awhile, haven't hit the ice yet this season.  Spent some time in Florida Keys....colder down there than it was up here!!
Heading up to Sullivan County on Friday to do some fishing with John C (Squid Boy)....maybe hit Highland or Devenaux Lk.  Anyone been up that way....what's going on there??
Anybody fishijng the So. Fallsburg Fire Dept. event on Jan 30 ???  Maybe we could use it as an excuse for a get together??  Let me know!!
See you guys on the ice

IceBalls

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
Hey Ice balls, I will probably be at south fallsburg I will look for you.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Rodger ! Nice to see you !

I won't be out that way til Feb 13th on Highland lake...good luck til then, hope to see you there !

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Yes one of the moderators not from this state that has THING TO DO but look at other states deleted the pages because you guy’s but info on contest's on here

Thank you ShawnM ,thought I remembered a higher page count .Guess we all have to remember to get clearance on contest info.before posting or send the inquiring member info. by personal message.
 Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hammer, the last time we icefished toronto was the season before they drained it. From the only public access ramp..We hiked all through and around that first turn point with the huge manchant estate,, resi was full then and the avg dept was around mid 20ft to 30s we did nothing tipup or jigging. think we tried it twice that  ice season was short due to early thaw.I heard big trout are being had this season if you care to hike!  hiking is also not my idea of fishing! 8)

Why bother to go to Toronto for big trout when it is not an approved hard water trout fishery? Highland and White Lake are the only two in Sullivan that I know of where trout are legal.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
jimmy c ...that local guys been so drunk the last 25 years he cant remember where his fly is.. ::)  1987.... drywall guy that played 2nd base on our softball team in july while in a bass tourney at night nailed a huge trout i think it was a brown something like 28inchs  and weighing big...it made the local papers....last one i remember seeing /hearing about...bar rumor has it that we fish the wrong side to catch trout.... ;) ;D

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
There's lots of trout in Lake Huntington but they cruise four to 6 feet below the ice. If you're fishing just off the bottom you probably won't catch any. Last year I got two by setting my tip-up at five feet.

Also, I had the same experience on Toronto Lake as everyone else: lousy day on the ice.

If anyone is interested Google Maps did their satellite survey of Swinging Bridge while the lake was drained. You can clearly see much of the bottom and it is really handy when choosing a spot to fish.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
gamelot, i catch plenty of trophy size in the now closed rezez ;D open season..actually don't care for keeping trout or even targeting them..if they are there fine! but i much prefer better tasting fish such as crappie/ perch/eye I know the eye are in that swb cause i caught two throwbacks this ice... the trick is finding them.
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It is all a matter of personal preference and you can have the pan fish, I'll take the trout through the ice any day. Never have caught a Walleye but will have to give it a try one of these days if the ice stays good.

I know they are in SWB but I can't say the reports so far are positive enough to make me want to go there yet. I can be there in 10 minutes from my house and I pass right by on my way to Big Pond or White Lake.

Gary

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There's lots of trout in Lake Huntington but they cruise four to 6 feet below the ice. If you're fishing just off the bottom you probably won't catch any. Last year I got two by setting my tip-up at five feet.

Also, I had the same experience on Toronto Lake as everyone else: lousy day on the ice.

If anyone is interested Google Maps did their satellite survey of Swinging Bridge while the lake was drained. You can clearly see much of the bottom and it is really handy when choosing a spot to fish.
not for nuthing icewine...but i used to play alot of softball up your way...perhaps we know the same folks ?????????....bobby vero...bubba who owned the hotel (RIP..)...john h. (or gonzo...)..tony fredo...the gillows...etc...etc...

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
question, gamalot or anyone  familiar with swinging bridge, I had this ny se fishing map atlas/guide with the topos and public lunch ramps, on pg.87 it shows two public launch ramps..the one on the deep end is where i been going (off starlight rd.) the other shows something on the northeast side but looks to be an unmarked deadend rd.  looking at the topo it shows a channel about 40ft deep .. in anybodys opinion, which spot would be better this time of year? We are going tomorrow but not sure if we should try the northern stretch.
lonelywolf lol

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
not for nuthing icewine...but i used to play alot of softball up your way...perhaps we know the same folks ?????????....bobby vero...bubba who owned the hotel (RIP..)...john h. (or gonzo...)..tony fredo...the gillows...etc...etc...

I know a few of those names but I didn't grow up around here, I'm a transplant and even part flatlander.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If I was going and had a sled or ATV to do the work I would go from the Starlite road one and hook a left toward the dam.

As I have said many times, I don't fish in SWB these days but back in the late '60s and early '70s it was a great trout lake.

The deep water is near the dam and I would search for sharp drop offs with lots of structure if looking for the eyes.

A vex or other flasher might help but if that is not a possibility then I would fish between 15 and 35 FOW and be bouncing the bait off the bottom then up about a foot or so.

I don't know what the dam depth is these days but it used to be close to 100 feet or more and that's where the big trout always were.

Gary

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
gamalot, i/m not bs-n, i took a 15 on a tipup in about 40ft and a smaller one the next day jigging.. very tough fishing but i kinda know about the waiting game for deep water lks.. i been doing this a long time too . I seen the swb when it was down.. i only carry a flashlight sized reader which works great up yo 200ft. I will drill a bunch of holes till i find where the main dropoffs are and play the waiting game. Thanks for the advise too. Hope we can get at least a pic for here.
lonelywolf lol

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I know a few of those names but I didn't grow up around here, I'm a transplant and even part flatlander.
aaah...i grew up a local but married a long island girl.... ::) ::) ::)...ever fish at the delaware lake gathering...i hear its quite a party... ;) ;D

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
going out on greenwood lake today. only 4 of us today. :-\
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
going out on greenwood lake today. only 4 of us today. :-\
just two of us going to try swb today.. should be fun this saturday anywhere outdoors fishing!!!! ;D
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Let me know what the slush condition is after you get back.

Sure will be nice to hear conditions at all the local lakes so we know what to expect. I'll be able to get out one day this week and can't decide if I want to go to White Lake, Big Pond or some other body.

Gary

Offline homenik

• IceShanty Rookie
Bcshanty, beaver dam on rt. 42 just outside of grahamsville. Any help would be great
This contest is Feb 14.

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you for the information.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pooley, how did you guys make out today?    I / TFB finished the drywall and first coat about 10 minutes ago...damn rectangular/triangular house  ::)   I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for the morning bite...

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Let me know what the slush condition is after you get back.

Sure will be nice to hear conditions at all the local lakes so we know what to expect. I'll be able to get out one day this week and can't decide if I want to go to White Lake, Big Pond or some other body.

Gary
Gary, released this one around 11am in 40fow on a tipup .. no slush at all just thick 12" or more ice and very slow once again.. only a few dink perch/crappie throwbacks.. i'm thinking in a few yrs it will be better fishing ..albeit..georgeous day outdoors! o fed my eagle a few perch again too
lonelywolf lol

Offline homenik

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you for the information.
More information in the EVENTS Category under NEW YORK.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.