Author Topic: aluminum auger  (Read 2350 times)

Offline MSU AGGIE

• IceShanty Rookie
aluminum auger
« on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Has anyone seen an aluminum auger that fits a Jiffy?  My buddy owns a metal shop and we were discussing making a 10". Maybe just a beer induced idea.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: aluminum auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Maybe just a beer induced idea.
X2..hahaha.  I don't think the spiral on the shaft would last too long.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Steel bends. Aluminium cracks. All I am gonna say  ;D

Go Beavers!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:58 PM »
depends on the grade and any treatment....same with steel, lots of steel alloys will not bend and will crack

You could always fine a strike lite or whatever they called the composite auger

Catchin' Fish

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:28 PM »
The price of heavy aluminum now, I think steel is cheaper..Beer is good!  :clap:

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I don't honestly think you'd save weight

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:14 PM »
You could always fine a strike lite or whatever they called the composite auger

Don't forget: Jiffy and Strikemaster do not interchange. Augers go opposite directions.......
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:21 PM »
If you build it, they will come!

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Ummm screw that I want a graphine sp? material used for an auger. 200 times stronger then steel, can be flexible, and is lighter then about everything.....

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Carbon fiber!!!!!
Tell me that wouldn't look cool.  :)

Offline MSU AGGIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:30 AM »
That would look awesome, but that price tag would hurt.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:37 AM »
you never would get the same Tensile strength from aluminum the thickness of the flights on a normal auger. Second to much flex and the angle of the dangle would always be off. 3rd Brrrrr. SNAP Mo FO%$#&  %*&&%$.  4th $$$$$$ 

Offline J_Snow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Interesting engineering problem, had to play with it in solidworks to see what it would take. A jiffy style auger is feasible as an aluminum fabrication.  Would look a little different that one is accustomed to now. Mandrel diameter would jump significantly to accommodate the torque, wall thickness would not have to change. Would likely bump the auger flights/spiral material up in thickness or have to add a rolled edge so they would not collapse which would make rolling the spiral much more difficult. The cutting depth regulation they have built into the chipper attachment would require triangulation in one way or another so it would not deform punching the bottom of the hole, either gusseting which would likely negatively impact ice/water clearing due to cavitation when it reached the bottom of the ice or adding a negative sloped segment that shares the same pitch as the regulator stiffening the outer edge this method cavitate less but be much more difficult to form.  Both would take care of stiffening the chipper attachment so it wouldn't roll/deform while chipping. Attachment at the power head could be different but might be a wash on where weight wise.

All told you might save 5 lbs. Fast models shows the jiffy in steel at 12.5-13 lbs and the aluminum jiffy at 8.5-9 lbs. From a manufacturing standpoint, triple (thinking this may still be low) your material cost and go 1.25X on the fab cost. I'd bet you'd pay $90 to $125 more for the auger. This assumes they make a change all augers to aluminum manufacture. As an option over steel it would cost more.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Titanium! Stop messing around, let's make this thing out of the super metal. If you dream, dream big!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:46 AM »
I will still use my trusty TNT. Never worry about it breaking or never needs sharpening.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Interesting engineering problem, had to play with it in solidworks to see what it would take. A jiffy style auger is feasible as an aluminum fabrication.  Would look a little different that one is accustomed to now. Mandrel diameter would jump significantly to accommodate the torque, wall thickness would not have to change. Would likely bump the auger flights/spiral material up in thickness or have to add a rolled edge so they would not collapse which would make rolling the spiral much more difficult. The cutting depth regulation they have built into the chipper attachment would require triangulation in one way or another so it would not deform punching the bottom of the hole, either gusseting which would likely negatively impact ice/water clearing due to cavitation when it reached the bottom of the ice or adding a negative sloped segment that shares the same pitch as the regulator stiffening the outer edge this method cavitate less but be much more difficult to form.  Both would take care of stiffening the chipper attachment so it wouldn't roll/deform while chipping. Attachment at the power head could be different but might be a wash on where weight wise.

All told you might save 5 lbs. Fast models shows the jiffy in steel at 12.5-13 lbs and the aluminum jiffy at 8.5-9 lbs. From a manufacturing standpoint, triple (thinking this may still be low) your material cost and go 1.25X on the fab cost. I'd bet you'd pay $90 to $125 more for the auger. This assumes they make a change all augers to aluminum manufacture. As an option over steel it would cost more.
Wow, would you please write me a note to give to my wife explaining why I'm late getting home😀

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2014, 04:43 PM »

What if...you machine the cutter head and have it fasten to the mandrel and flights. Blades bolt on just like standard. Make the flights out of molded plastic

Catchin' Fish

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2014, 04:46 PM »
If you had a Strikemaster or Eskimo you could get a K-Drill to fit it.

Offline slacker9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Company called KECO makes Kluge auger . They make an aluminium one and one with plastic flytes on a steel shaft. Expensive from what i remember , twice or more cost of nils. Think 8 inch gas comes in at 5 pounds. They may make the k drill too. Dont think they do the style for jiffy though.

Also make a12 inch for when a ten just isn't quite enough ;)

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Vexilar has a carbon fiber drill and I think clam has a light carbon fiber

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.