Author Topic: Why are flashers relevant any more?  (Read 14205 times)

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Why are flashers relevant any more?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Completely wrong.  Mapping and waypoints are both on my phone, still noone has said how sonar history helps at all, and most of my local lakes are shallow so I have no need for compound zoom? (is this where you can zoom on a certain level of the water column? Don't some flashers do that?), and I don't get drunk on the ice.

History is very valuable for a couple of reasons. First, I often look away from my sonar throughout the day, history shows fish that came through and left during that time. While fishing suspended crappies it has been incredibly useful. Second, for neutral/negative fish you can see what cadence/depth/etc. the fish responded most to when changing it up to draw a response.

Sonar/waypoints on your phone cant be used in the summer to mark the exact location of submerged structure. I run a side imaging Helix so I can mark every brush pile, tree, crib, etc in an area with extreme precision on a single pass over it in open water. Its impossible to do this on your iPhone. Plus it's a pain in the ass to get your phone out every time you want to move when hole hopping compared to pushing a button on the graph.

Compound zoom refers to being able to run split screen with a higher zoom near the bottom on one side and a lower zoom above that on the other, leaving only a small portion of unzoomed water column, generally near the surface where there is much less action.

Cut, dry

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:39 AM »
I'm a proud gas auger user but I have panoptix and can't stand the buzz of a flasher.  People use what they like.  Gas augers are "obsolete" as well but still plenty being used in my area

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:42 AM »
I'm a proud gas auger user but I have panoptix and can't stand the buzz of a flasher.  People use what they like.  Gas augers are "obsolete" as well but still plenty being used in my area

But spoon augers are not being used anymore - because they are MORE obsolete than a gas auger. Also, when your gas auger breaks down and dies, my guess is that you will go electric...
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:46 AM »

I think that there is a lot more truth in this post than many would care to own up to.

Some think that fishing is a recreational activity and excuse to get together with the guys. (Flashers)
Others think that it is a matter of life and death. (Graphs)
Then there are those that know that fishing is much more important than life and death. (Livescope)

That is how I see it... ;D

LOL...this made me chuckle.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:47 AM »
History is very valuable for a couple of reasons. First, I often look away from my sonar throughout the day, history shows fish that came through and left during that time. While fishing suspended crappies it has been incredibly useful. Second, for neutral/negative fish you can see what cadence/depth/etc. the fish responded most to when changing it up to draw a response.

Sonar/waypoints on your phone cant be used in the summer to mark the exact location of submerged structure. I run a side imaging Helix so I can mark every brush pile, tree, crib, etc in an area with extreme precision on a single pass over it in open water. Its impossible to do this on your iPhone. Plus it's a pain in the ass to get your phone out every time you want to move when hole hopping compared to pushing a button on the graph.

Compound zoom refers to being able to run split screen with a higher zoom near the bottom on one side and a lower zoom above that on the other, leaving only a small portion of unzoomed water column, generally near the surface where there is much less action.

Cut, dry

Bingo!!!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:49 AM »
No I'll fix it because a trip to the hardware store and a bit of cussing and it'll be good to go. I'll switch to electric when fixing it isn't buying a new drill or sending in a powerhead for warranty work. Part availability just isn't there yet. 

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:07 AM »

I do the bolded part with a flasher too, and don't see much advantage to seeing a fish that blipped onto the screen while I look away for 5 seconds.

Not impossible, I mark spots on my phone in the summer all the time, by feel, and by catching fish. Maybe not with EXTREME prescision but fish have eyes.

Sounds useful for deep water but I'm in 20' or less 98% of the time and have no need for that

Cut, dry

What you didn't want to leave in the part about me being butthurt? I was wondering why so much interest in my butt.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:16 AM »
I bought a used Micronar FL8 in about 1980 and used it until 2003 or so when the FL18 came on the market and I bought one. Later on I bought  a Marcum LX5 which is also a good choice. A couple years ago I got a Helix 7 G2 with GPS for my 14 ft boat. I also bought the ice kit for it, but haven't used it on the ice .so far. Been wanting to use it on the ice this winter, but have been waiting for thicker ice. We just got another 16" or so of snow dumped on us and it looks like the wait goes on. My son is still using that Micronar FL8 which is now more than 40 years old and still going strong. I guess that tells me something about the FL8 units.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:31 AM »
it is like the difference between a tube tv and a flat screen.

I'll clarify. Many people said, when the television first came out, that it was just a fad; it'd never last. Same is being said about flashers now. They'll be gone in a few years. I say no.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:00 AM »
Because they are mechanical devices, not computers or digital.

Also, because the flasher users possibly don't need that much extra help to catch fish as others, so don't need charting, graphs and history reports to catch the same amount of fish that others do.

Technology can be a blessing but it can also be a crutch.

Exactly. Maybe if going county to county, state to state fishing on lakes that I have never fished,  locating structure, points, dropoff, weeds, etc. could be helpful. But I don't.  I fish basically the same half dozen or so lakes that I have for the past 50 years so I know exactly where that "stuff" is and the general area the fish are in. I just need to know if they are at the particular hole I just drilled. If not, I'm not to far off. Drill another. Bingo. Found them by that little blip on the screen. Going to a lake I've never fished? Either going with someone that has or check near the crowd...usually the former.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Exactly. Maybe if going county to county, state to state fishing on lakes that I have never fished,  locating structure, points, dropoff, weeds, etc. could be helpful. But I don't.  I fish basically the same half dozen or so lakes that I have for the past 50 years so I know exactly where that "stuff" is and the general area the fish are in. I just need to know if they are at the particular hole I just drilled. If not, I'm not to far off. Drill another. Bingo. Found them by that little blip on the screen. Going to a lake I've never fished? Either going with someone that has or check near the crowd...usually the former.

Also a lot can be learned about a lake though navionics and google maps.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:13 AM »
I have both  graph and flasher... use my flasher over the digital a lot more and I consider myself probably a lot more hardcore fishermen than most that have the livescope technology.  Live for it!  So what u own is not always a testament to how hardcore you are. 

This might strike a nerve but I think the panoptix is great technology for some fishermen that had trouble catching or locating fish before or for those that might not have the highest fish IQ.

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:21 AM »
I have both  graph and flasher... use my flasher over the digital a lot more and I consider myself probably a lot more hardcore fishermen than most that have the livescope technology.  Live for it!  So what u own is not always a testament to how hardcore you are. 

This might strike a nerve but I think the panoptix is great technology for some fishermen that had trouble catching or locating fish before or for those that might not have the highest fish IQ.

Spoken so eloquently.... ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:25 AM »

OUCH!  :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:43 AM »

DANG....I've been thinking like a fish for so long my brain isn't any bigger than a perch's brain.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:48 AM »

Yup...us flasher guys are beer drinking, dope smoking, shanty sitting, screen staring has beens and wannabes. So how much will a graph increase my IQ to the level of where you're at...which I'm guessing to be about 12? Jk...as much as you were.😉

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:51 AM »
My .02, use a flasher on ice. Use a graph/flasher on ice. Depends on my plan for the day! Both are great tools. I am pretty sure I could talk my little wife into letting me get the pan optics system. Just don’t want it. To the folks who think that flashers are obsolete please send me a PM I will be happy to provide my address and pay shipping if y’all want to send me your obsolete flashers!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:54 AM »
bout time to file this thread under "GRUMPY OLD MEN" and call it a day.  ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:59 AM »
bout time to file this thread under "GRUMPY OLD MEN" and call it a day.  ::)

Who's grumpy? 🤔 It's Happy New Year!!!😜

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:02 PM »
Who's grumpy? 🤔 It's Happy New Year!!!😜
im still grumpy !the site that has been great is sort of turning into facebook with all the drama and bullshat theories.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:11 PM »
im still grumpy !the site that has been great is sort of turning into facebook with all the drama and bullshat theories.

I think that the "conspiracy theories"are the best part... ;D

I don't facebook. Hate Zuckerberg - he makes me grumpy.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #81 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I think that the "conspiracy theories"are the best part... ;D

I don't facebook. Hate Zuckerberg- he makes me grumpy.
i don’t do facebook either.joined for 2 weeks and it was drama and couch fishermen looking for spots..deleted it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #82 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:18 PM »
i don’t do facebook either.joined for 2 weeks and it was drama and couch fishermen looking for spots..deleted it.
Too funny! For what ever reason I am not allowed to open a FB account. Never bothered to find out why? Grumpy you bet I am! No ice and no cold temps in the short range forecast!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:34 PM »

Just like anything else in life Doc...take what you need and throw the rest of the s**t away. You and I both know what it takes and how to catch fish. A lot of those "theories" that are posted/talked about? That's the s**t I throw away...and laugh at after I do it.😉

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:37 PM »

YOURE GONNA MAKE SOMEONE MAD
I agree though

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:37 PM »
Yup...us flasher guys are beer drinking, dope smoking, shanty sitting, screen staring has beens and wannabes. So how much will a graph increase my IQ to the level of where you're at...which I'm guessing to be about 12? Jk...as much as you were.😉
Not only that, but were so old and stupid that we thought flashers actually used sonar technology. Guess I spent too many years using Time Domain Reflectometers (TDRs) and OTDRs at work.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:39 PM »
YOURE GONNA MAKE SOMEOME MAD
I agree though

I was thinking that the IQ issue was with the ones that couldn't understand the value of the Livescope - or maybe it was the beer they were drinking?

Just sayin... ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:40 PM »
Not only that, but were so old and stupid that we thought flashers actually used sonar technology. Guess I spent too many years using Time Domain Reflectometers (TDRs) and OTDRs at work.

Nope...flashers use the old tin can/ string method...you big dummy. 🤣🤣🤣

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:41 PM »

I think that Garmin Panoptix Livescopes use artistic elves to paint the images.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:45 PM »

I can agree with this to some extent even as a panoptix owner. Fisherman who caught lots of fish before flashers and other tech were/are much better fishermen than most fishermen today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.