Author Topic: Why but skis on your plastic sled.  (Read 7520 times)

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why but skis on your plastic sled.
« on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I noticed some guys are  placing skis under their sled and rasing the off  also.
Do the sled not pull good,...whats the reason ?
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee349/efka2000/IMG_0190.jpg
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Why but skis on your plastic sled.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:03 PM »

just like a smitty sled makes loads easier to pull through the snow 

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:10 PM »
It's benefit is when on snow.

Think of it like a sleigh. It's easier to pull the sled when the ice is covered in snow and the sled is elevated above that snow on skis.

Just like Santa's sleigh :)

Before I converted my Otter sled to a Smitty style on skis, one year our lake had about 4" of snow on it with some drifts that were 8", pulling my sled loaded with gear through that was agony. I stopped 3 times to rest and was exhausted by the time I got to my fishing spot, which was about 1/4 mile from my property.

With the sled raised up on skis, it made this soooo much easier.

Tight lines.

Offline THEiceman49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Literally cuts the effort needed in half if not more, plus you can bring more gear with very little added effort the difference between my loaded cammando on skis vs just the hyfax in more than 3 in of snow is huge

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Just think using skis will save your sled from getting holes in it from dragging it over gravel asphalt etc.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Less work to pull the same distance.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2013, 05:39 PM »
It also saves the bottom of the sled.  I wore holes in the bottom of my first portable shanty.  I replaced the tub and added skis.  Pulls easier  and works great.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2013, 03:03 AM »
The skis allow the tub to ride above the snow instead of plowing through it.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline d4ng3r3ux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:02 AM »
Not only easyer to pull but its easyer to change the skis when they are worn then buying a new sled

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2013, 09:33 PM »
Thanks I will be adding them to mine
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:51 AM »
I put a set on my Eskimo wide one.  It actually pulled harder, took them off.  Now on my 3 man flip, it made a 50 percent better pull

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:00 AM »
I put a set on my Eskimo wide one.  It actually pulled harder, took them off.  Now on my 3 man flip, it made a 50 percent better pull

how did that happen? on first attempt?

i have a set of skies and went to silicone them on. they have too big a hump in the middle to glue to the bottom of a flat tub

so for those of you who did get them attached, how did you do it other than drilling holes in the bottom of the tub. i don't want holes in mine, thats why i would add skies to it

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:51 AM »
I have a fish trap sled... I have a home made rocket launcher to hold my tip ups and jig rods mounted on the back... I have an auger perch as well.. fully loaded with no ski's it's a bear to pull and the "rocket launcher" tends to drag  in snow.. with ski's it is 3 times easier to pull and clearance is not an issue... 
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:17 PM »
i put a pair of downhill on my 3 man eskimo quickflip, the sled design is hollow in the middle,which the skis really really helped.
the wide one is flat with the grooves, it helped so much on the 3 man, i put them on. Went out couple times..made it pull harder. took them off the other day and big difference.

I screwed them thru the tub, the little holes haven't had snow come up, haven't been on water/slush yet, i'm sure some water will come thru. If its bad, i'll just put some silicone or heat up the little area and push the plastic back over it

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:29 PM »
If you get some ice without snow that is rough, it can eat away the bottom of your sled in no time at all. A free pair of downhill skis can save many headaches and make it pull easier in light snow.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:35 PM »
I use to Downhill Ski Race... The front 60% then flat 10% then rear 30%, this is where the bindings get mounted and your boot goes.  So there is about 14" to 20" flat/boot section.  After removing the bindings you can use a LEVEL to find this area.  Mine was about 20" of flat.  I drilled the "ends" of the flat area for Carriage Bolts (slightly countersunk & yes they stick out a bit... I figure extra wear in parking lot).  I drilled through the sled bottom (make sure still on a ridge) and then added a 1/2" exterior plywood to interior of sled bottom and used LARGE flat washers with double nylon locking nuts.  So I had a 20" spread on the mounting bolts.  I have to fit it in back of my SUV so the curved ski tips were INLINE with the leading edge.  SO measure you SLED & VEHICLE then get SKI's (Try not to cut off excess length because will eventually Delaminate).  BLESS :)
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline ice_engineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Are there any alternatives to using skis?  I live in the flatlands of Southern MN, not a lot of skis to be had.... 

Offline fishing4u2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Are there any alternatives to using skis?  I live in the flatlands of Southern MN, not a lot of skis to be had....

No major comparative personal experience to speak of, but I know of a couple of guys who made runners out of electrical conduit (used pipe bender) on either a plywood platform, or mounted direct to a shelter bottom.  Pulls as well as my various 'rides' which use downhill skis.  This year I plan to experiment with some XC skis, mounted to... get this... a defunct, repurposed shortie playboat whitewater kayak!  Why the XC skis?... lighter (for total dead lifting at vehicle) and narrower.  Why the yak?  Besides that it floats if need be, the interior collects no snow or freezing rain to fog/frost up the icemobile's interior overnight (there's nothing that needs thawing this way).  Just some notions for your consideration.  Always fun tinkering with alternative designs, eh?

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:29 PM »
can also bend conduit and mounts to side of sleds.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.