Author Topic: Wiring a battery box.  (Read 5014 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wiring a battery box.
« on: Nov 24, 2012, 01:44 PM »
I have put 3 rocker switches in a plano ammo box to turn lights and a fan on and off. One thing I want to do is to add either a 1/4" or 1/8" audio jacks that are wired to each switch. Then I could just unplug a wire for each light or fan and wrap it up in the sled. But I don't know if I should use 1/8" or 1/4" jacks. I feel the 1/8" jacks are too small. I can find the 1/4" input jacks on ebay pretty easily, but they are longer and might hit the battery on the underside of the lid on my ammo box.

What do you guys think?

jbird68

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
Re: Wiring a battery box.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Nice job I'm not even going to show mine I know what I'm making next week

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Very clever, you did a good job. Looks professional and useful, I think you've just inspired me to make one with a 12v plug for my phone.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2012, 05:00 PM »
can you make it so the ends of the 1/4 jacks just push into the fome?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:03 PM »
i am sure the 1/8 inch will work for l.e.d. lighting. by the way dont for get to fuse the postive terminal off the battery  dont want the fuse not going and catching fire.  i think those 1/8 jacks will handle some thing like 16/18 gague wire max wich is perfect for l.e.d. there low watage lighing  may want to consider a seprate 12 volt recetacle for charging cell phones , gps , etc  on a seprate circuit fused of course 10-15 amp they sell the flush mounts at walmart etc... any ways best of luck great idea !

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Would I need a fuse for each switch? Or just one for all combined? Does the fuse need to be before the switch our can it be after? I've been trying to find a small fuse block and glue it to the lid. What about inline fuses? And what size fuse would I need?
jbird68

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Would I need a fuse for each switch? Or just one for all combined? Does the fuse need to be before the switch our can it be after? I've been trying to find a small fuse block and glue it to the lid. What about inline fuses? And what size fuse would I need?

i think you just need one off the battery it not a bad idea to fuse them all too at each switch. inline fuse will work too.has to be fused before the switch to prevent fire is how i learned how to do it.  what you could do is run a main one off the battery then run four inlines to each switch solder it all to the main battery fuse and heat shink to protect. i use a heat gun to shrink my heat shrink tubeing any ways best of luck .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.