Author Topic: What is easy to cook/warm up on your Mr. Heater?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
What is easy to cook/warm up on your Mr. Heater?
« on: Nov 15, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Just got a Big Buddy, looking for ideas of simple things to cook/heat up on it. Any ideas?
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What is easy to cook/warm up on your Mr. Heater?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Chicken wings. Get the best wings you can get before you go. You need a cover for the frying pan and let it slow cook on low heat.  Constantly turn them or they will burn. Takes a long time to heat them up.  The smell could bring world peace.  Big crowd pleasure.

Chinese Dumplings in olive oil using same cooking process as above.   

Sausage and peppers on roll.

Clam Chowder and bread.

Watch out for the chilies and jalapenos and such.  They will you the fan tods.   

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Chicken wings. Get the best wings you can get before you go. You need a cover for the frying pan and let it slow cook on low heat.  Constantly turn them or they will burn. Takes a long time to heat them up.  The smell could bring world peace.  Big crowd pleasure.

Chinese Dumplings in olive oil using same cooking process as above.   

Sausage and peppers on roll.

Clam Chowder and bread.

Watch out for the chilies and jalapenos and such.  They will you the fan tods.

Thank you. Do I need to modify my heater or do I just use the grate that is on it?
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Modify the heater.  There is a thread on here about 9 pages long with guys you have mod’ed there buddy’s and big buddy’s.  Just put cook and buddy in the search bar and it will be one of the first 4 or 5 that come up.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:26 PM »
My buddy heater will lay on it's back.  Most won't.  You may have to add a grate cooker modification.  Check the archives as suggested above. 
Tons of pictures. 

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Cool did search but I will try searching with what you suggested.
-John Buchan

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Paint roller grate works great, hook the grate bucket legs under the top bar of the buddy grate and it off to the races !

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Raviollis warm up nice. I also pre-make grilled cheese sandwiches.  Just heat until cheesy.  If you get a small camping pot, you can warm up any stew/soup.  Smells good when it's bubbling.  Reheat chili also.  We used to yell out across the ice to our buddies to pass the fried chicken or brownies.  Those other ice anglers that forgot to pack lunch would grumble.  After a few minutes they would get up and head back to their cars. LOL ;D
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Voltaire here is the web address for the thread I was talking about.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=132730.0
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2011, 04:37 PM »
I just got the Mr. Heater/Cooker that flips over for cooking. I plan to heat up breakfast burritos, maybe stew or soup, maybe some burgers. I did try heating up a 12 cup coffee pot on high. Using cold tap water, it took 8 and a half minutes to boil water. I can live with that.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2011, 04:43 PM »
I just got the Mr. Heater/Cooker that flips over for cooking. I plan to heat up breakfast burritos, maybe stew or soup, maybe some burgers. I did try heating up a 12 cup coffee pot on high. Using cold tap water, it took 8 and a half minutes to boil water. I can live with that.

Never even knew they made one! Got any pics?
-John Buchan

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:47 AM »
What I like about the Mr. Heater/cooker is it's so light and pretty compact. The little buddy heater puts out 9,000 BTU.  This cooker puts out about 14,000 BTU. Pretty handy little heater.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2011, 03:54 AM »
I noticed that the cooker/heater you referred to is a sunflower type. I already have melted spots in lower leg of my pants (my outer layer is very meltable material) from the buddy heater. How's the cooker/heater when it comes to burning clothes: more, less or about the same?  Yes, I know I should be more careful, but these things happen.   

surflizard

« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2011, 06:57 AM »
I premix scrambled eggs with pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, onions and cheese and ziplock bag them. Garlic and Herb marinated Bambi Tenderloin medallion's. Garlic butter marinated Bullwinkle Backstrap, when I can get it ! Smoked Pork shoulder ground up with baked Yukon Gold potatos and pressed into patties, fried golden brown ! A good teflon coated pan and your imagination, the possiblities are endless ! Even with no cooking gear, you can still have a hot snack !  ;)2

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:01 AM »
We do lost of canned stuff that has easy open lids, no can opener needed.  Cook most fish we catch on ice and sausage and side pork.  I'm cooking on a Coleman stove not a Buddy.
Blake from Elbow

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:16 AM »
You guys that cook and eat the fish you catch on the ice - Is that legal where you are or do you just break the law? It's illegal here but I really don't see a problem with it as long as you don't abuse your daily limit.
-John Buchan

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:14 PM »
We  have a Daily/Possesion limit that is generally the same amount, if you catch a limit of say 4 walleye in a single day your done keeping walleye for the day and until you eat them you can posses no more.  That being said eating the days catch weather I
take them home, shore lunch or eat on ice there is no difference.  I don't think it matters to some people the rules of limits will be broken and that's to bad.
Blake from Elbow

Offline Rukus3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2011, 03:44 PM »
You guys that cook and eat the fish you catch on the ice - Is that legal where you are or do you just break the law? It's illegal here but I really don't see a problem with it as long as you don't abuse your daily limit.
Its legal were you live to my understanding as long as there is no length restriction on that lake for that species.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2011, 03:50 PM »
You guys that cook and eat the fish you catch on the ice - Is that legal where you are or do you just break the law? It's illegal here...

There's a law? That's insane. Do not break the law.  Rangers travel with the mists and appear out of nowhere.  Like a speed trap but w/ fish.   

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Its legal were you live to my understanding as long as there is no length restriction on that lake for that species.

Here in South Dakota? Where did you hear this I'd be eager to know. Everyone I've talked to seems to think it is illegal.
-John Buchan

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:51 PM »
There's a law? That's insane. Do not break the law.  Rangers travel with the mists and appear out of nowhere.  Like a speed trap but w/ fish.   

I see you are from Here. What is the law on reheating left overs?
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2011, 07:59 PM »
I premix scrambled eggs with pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, onions and cheese and ziplock bag them. Garlic and Herb marinated Bambi Tenderloin medallion's. Garlic butter marinated Bullwinkle Backstrap, when I can get it ! Smoked Pork shoulder ground up with baked Yukon Gold potatos and pressed into patties, fried golden brown ! A good teflon coated pan and your imagination, the possiblities are endless ! Even with no cooking gear, you can still have a hot snack !  ;)2
(Image removed from quote.)

You are BRILLIANT!  I love this idea!

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2011, 03:37 AM »
I see you are from Here. What is the law on reheating left overs?

The law on leftovers is nothing that smells real bad or has mold. I've eaten so many leftovers, I don't think I've ever seen the original meal. 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:17 PM »
There is a difference between "Daily Limit" and "Possession Limit".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.