Author Topic: Jig storage  (Read 7793 times)

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jig storage
« on: Oct 09, 2009, 01:23 PM »
What do you guys use to store your ice fishing jigs in?  I have been using various fly boxes with the foam to bury the hooks in.  After a while though, they get beat up pretty bad from removing and adding hooks in the boxes.  Have any of you tried the bug luggage fly boxes, or the c& f fly boxes with the slotted foam?  If so, I am curious as to how they hold the additional weight of a ice jig, and if they stay put in those boxes, or if they fall out and become disorganized.  Thanks

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Re: Jig storage
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2009, 01:28 PM »
I hear that the bug luggage boxes work very well for ice jigs.  I currently have all my jigs in the same type fly boxes that you are using/have used.. was online somewhere and i saw the newest box that is like bug luggage made specifically for ice jigs, I think it was on Reed's website...Fish307 and FishUSA may even have them, I haven't looked

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2009, 01:41 PM »
flambeau blue ribbon VFF fly boxes...VFF stands for vertical friction foam...holds jigs tight WITHOUT inserting hoohs into foam...and even the small ones hold a TON of jigs...like in the neighborhood of 200 for the small box.   ;D

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Just looked up the blue ribbon box.  Looks a lot like the c& f design boxes, minus some of the cost.  I just wasn't sure if the slotted foams like that would keep the jigs secure with the extra weight they carry over a fly.  Guess the answer is a yes.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2009, 02:23 PM »
I picked up a bug luggage box and they work great. After going through my jigs and finding 9 or 10 tungsten jigs chipped and ruined from knocking around in a regular fly box I had to find something to stop it. They worked so well I got 2 more, 132 jigs and nothing moves, I even dropped it a couple times and nothing happened from 5mm to 2 mm fiskas.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2009, 03:46 PM »
I use the bug luggage and am very happy with it.  I have three of the Trout model, with 2 of them full and one about half full.  Highly recommend them.

Jeff

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2009, 06:08 PM »
I just ordered my second Cabela's, Center Leaf Spring fly box. It uses little spring clips to hold the jigs like the old Perrine fly boxes. They hold 248 jigs. 6''x3.5"x1.25". Look in the Fly fishing section.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2009, 06:28 PM »
I use a Plano fly case. It is a soft sided case, but has a smooth foam on one side and ribbed on the other.   Worked well for me now for a couple of years.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2009, 09:08 PM »
I have Bug Luggage and  a fewRose Creek jig boxes from Thorne Bros. I did order a few of the new jig boxes from Genz too. I've found the bug luggage hook slots seem to hold jigs better than the rose creek boxes

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2009, 10:23 PM »
I agree with BassRat. I was reading posts like this last winter and decided to go with the Flambeau Blue Ribbon Fly box. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to get it until this spring / summer, so I don't have all my stuff  in it yet..... but here's some pics......

On a side note, they have a small, medium, or large to choose from. This one is the large one. It does have a rubber o-ring seal so if you drop it in the hole while the cover is closed and latched it SHOULD float (not tested LOL). Anyhow, I love the design and can't wait to use it and to put a ton more jigs from Jammin' Jigs in there!!

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2009, 07:39 AM »
I agree with BassRat. I was reading posts like this last winter and decided to go with the Flambeau Blue Ribbon Fly box. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to get it until this spring / summer, so I don't have all my stuff  in it yet..... but here's some pics......

(Image removed from quote.)

On a side note, they have a small, medium, or large to choose from. This one is the large one. It does have a rubber o-ring seal so if you drop it in the hole while the cover is closed and latched it SHOULD float (not tested LOL). Anyhow, I love the design and can't wait to use it and to put a ton more jigs from Jammin' Jigs in there!!
   Melbs, thanks for posting pics.....seems to keep jigs, orderly & accessable!.....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Check out the one Reeds have new for this year nine something page 2 clam 8426

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2009, 08:49 AM »
I will get you a picture tomorrow of the one I use. But I wont use a jig box that doesn't float with all of my jigs in it! I have seen some nice jigs fall to the bottom of the lake. At a dollar a piece average, its too risky not too take care of them.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2009, 09:29 AM »
I ordered a pair of the clam boxes from reeds they won't be in stock for a week or so. They look promising

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2009, 11:23 AM »
Let us know how you like them when you get them, thinking about ordering, the price is not to bad

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2009, 03:25 PM »
I ordered a pair of the clam boxes from reeds they won't be in stock for a week or so. They look promising

I've got mine filled with fiskas already. need a few more for marmish jigs. they will slip nicely into the chest pocket on my bibs. I'm happy with them for the price. let me know what you think about them

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Here are the pictures of the kind I like. It uses magnets in the corners. And it floats!

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline iceprowler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • flag's up!!! RUN
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2009, 04:29 PM »
you guys are laugh about this one i got my hands on my wifes old fake finger nail boxes its a whole kit and when she was done with the box i took it. it works great for seperating all my jigs the name brand is KISS its like 9 bucks for the whole kit (lol)

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2009, 05:23 PM »
Here's the Bug Luggage with my fiskas.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Here is my Bug Luggage collection.

Includes some hand made jigs and a small variety of Jammin Jigs, Fiskas Jigs, and Genz Bugs.

Jeff

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2009, 09:25 PM »
I love these boxes, nothing moves. I have another full of Kodiaks' and two cheapo boxes from gander mt. with assorted moon jigs, jammin jigs, and others. Before I had my tungsten jigs in the cheapo boxes and they chipped and eyes rubbed off, never again.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Before I had my tungsten jigs in the cheapo boxes and they chipped and eyes rubbed off, never again.

I'll second that!! We spend LOTS of money on jigs and supplies... if just a couple extra bucks protects it for years of good use... why not spend the extra money to protect the intial investmant!!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:11 PM »
I pulled 13 out of my other boxes that were shot, at $2.50 + apiece I could have paid for the good boxes and not ruined jigs. Live and learn. Although they got even more destroyed in the standard compartment boxes before I went to the cheap fly boxes.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2009, 11:18 PM »
On a similar note... what do you guys use to store ur jiggin raps in??

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2009, 11:38 PM »
On a similar note... what do you guys use to store ur jiggin raps in??

I keep my Raps and Pimples in a small Vexilar plastic tackle box that fits nicely in my FL20.

Jeff

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2009, 11:55 PM »
Well that's what's i'm using now.... but what about for larger quantities... anything there? without going monsterous <spelling> LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.