Author Topic: I am buying a vexlar what should I get  (Read 1288 times)

Offline fishmedic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BOOYA
I am buying a vexlar what should I get
« on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:15 PM »
I am going to buy a vexlar what kind should I got and How much does that model run at?

Offline RANGER26

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I am buying a vexlar what should I get
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:49 PM »
 I HAVE A FL-12 .

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:02 PM »
My 8's still catch fish....
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:49 PM »
Hi Gang! 
  I have a Marcum LX-3tc  I like it the best.  I like the thin line technology true colors and the fully adustable zoom helps.  The LX-5 is even better.  The LX-3tc is comparable to the Vexs FL-20.  With all vexs you pay more for options that are standards on the Marcum.  If you can afford it and stiil want a vex get the FL-20 with every option you can.    You'll need them at one time or another as you learn how to tweak your sonar.  If your on a tight budget the Fl 8 is a great buy a good sonar and really is a work horse.  Thats one of the older vexs you can get on e-bay for about $100 or less.  In a marcum don't get anything less than a LX-3.  If you get a good buy on it then send it to marcum and get the thin line technology put in it.  It really helps the target seperation when using ice flys and other light lures.  The TC true color really is bright and crisp on the dial too.  Thats my 2 cents worth.
  Da-Roc

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:35 PM »
I own the 18 and I think that is a great unit. However, the newer models are a bit nicer and a bit more salty. My problem has been always buy the best it will pay back the most. The best gifts are the ones you buy for yourself. lots of luck with all the decisions to make. I will say this that ever since buying a vex my fishing percentage has more that quadripled in #. That says it all Good luck.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:05 PM »
We just had a similar discussion.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish-On - Share the Love
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Give 18 a try.  You'll enjoy. 
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:17 PM »
Well, I guess there are two of us on the same wavelength . What is your opinion?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:25 PM »
FL-8 anything more is really overkill .

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:42 PM »
Save some money and get the very well equipped marcum vx-1

1/2 the price of a Fl-20 and the one I had blew JigumUps Fl 18 out of the water, when we fished within 60 foot of each other

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Save some money and get the very well equipped marcum vx-1

1/2 the price of a Fl-20 and the one I had blew JigumUps Fl 18 out of the water, when we fished within 60 foot of each other

I've heard they don't play nice together?? You might be on to something, keep everyone away that has a vexilar by cranking up your Marcum. Play nice.
Paul

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:25 PM »
I have an old FL8 I bought out off ebay a few years back.  It does the job, last year I noticed the lights started to get dull and it was hard to see in the sunlight, so often times I was sitting face in the wind just to avoid the sunlight on it.  I took it apart last weekend and cleaned the brushes per the directions on Vex website,  we will see how well that works tomorrow when I get out.

If you are stuck on a Vex I would opt for the 12 or 20 since they have the flat front.  The 8 and 18 have the cylinder front, which collects water and snow, which some times will obstruct your viewing area.  I bought the magnifier lense, that was a waste of money, as it doesn't magnify hardly anything, and condensation always forms under it fogging up the lense.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Marcum if they work, and I don't see why it wouldn't.  It is the same exact science and technology. 

All the debating about the two remind of the whole Ford vs. Chevy debates, more power, more dependable, blah, blah, blah.  Buy what you will confident in using and you will have success, because like I said they both use the same technology.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:24 AM »
I use the new "18" model. As for the snow getting into the window. Here is alittle secret that i found. Take some of that plastic cling wrap & cover the face. you wont believe it. It works pretty good. It was getting old when the snow would build up on the inside ring of locator. Til I tried the cling wrap. And it holds good also. :tipup:
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.