Author Topic: Best bet this weekend?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Armyman2007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Slough Gills"
Best bet this weekend?
« on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:37 AM »
Where do you guys think will be the best bet (safest ice and fish) this weekend? I haven't been able to ice fish for the last 4 years as I have been stationed down south in the military. I am excited to get out and catch some through the ice this weekend. I live in Griffith, and know that my normal spot, Willow Slough, won't have safe ice yet. Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best bet this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Looks like Valpo to me.
Tom

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:57 PM »
 Hi Gang!
I am going to try long lake  this weekend if possible.  Probably Sunday.  Long usually freezes first for some unnown reason.  It has average fishing but is usually safer then the rest of the chain.  I hope to see some of you guys there soon.
  Da-Roc
  Rocky  Martin
 Porter county Indiana

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:02 PM »
I'm in Hammond right now and its been raining for awhile-is it raining out that away.Was trying to get a few guys for sat or sun.Theres a video on here of Long lake this morning-4 in of ice.Rain may change that though.
I'll get a hold of you when we go.Some of the guys from MWA want to go perching, but I think they will change there minds before tomorrow.
Tom
Tom

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:23 PM »
I think perching may be the best bet for now. I heard of limits being taken. 15 nice perch are a lot better then a chance of getting wet for a few fish. anyway, we are all a bit crazy. good luck where ever you go. And may the force of bent rods be with you lol.

Offline Armyman2007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Slough Gills"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2007, 03:09 PM »
When you guys say "perchin" are you referring to fishing lake michigan? I have never ice fished there.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I think they are talking about taking a boat on Lake Michigan for perch. No ice fishing on Lake Michigan!!! It was snowing hard here in Valpo most of the day, now it's all turned to slush and a bit of rain but not much.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2007, 03:32 PM »
Yes Lake Michigan, they have been getting there limits out of Portage Marina, looks like s-sw winds.Should be a good weekend.
Tom

Offline Armyman2007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Slough Gills"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:32 PM »
I have never fished from the Portage Marina. Are the perch biting around Pastrick Marina too?

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:25 PM »
The hole in the wall, the reefs, Gary lighthouse, Calumet park. Troll into the wind just barely moving with a crappie rig and you will catch them. you have to bounce the bottom.  38-42 feet is where they were a few days ago. For a day by day report Mclurch's bait will gladly steer you in the right direction and they have the baby roaches you will need for the jumbos. Their phone # is (219-989-0575). Give them a call. Good luck

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:13 PM »
Well thought we were perchin,everybody cancelled,storms scared um off.May have to hit the Dams-just don't trust the ice yet.I gotta get out of here for awhile-maybe some coyote hunting-LOL
Tom

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:22 PM »
Oakdale and norway,, never much cared for putting on waders than freezing. I guess the pressure isnt so great this late in season so, might be fine casting from shore. I usually give these a try when the waters start rising when ice is melting and do fairly well. Something to do however the 1-1/4 hour drive is a bit much with gas prices like they are. Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.