Author Topic: Hoosiers Icefisherman, Please watch this video, it could save your life  (Read 1406 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This is also posted at the main general site. But since Indiana is my state, I wanted to make sure all hoosiers in here read this. So I posted it here also.

I urge all Hoosiers to take time and watch this video. Since right now, early ice is here on some Indiana lakes. You may think you know what to do, but this guy is an expert on cold water survival tactics.

Its a 9 minute video of a scientist who is an expert on what cold does to the human body. He actually goes into a iced over lake, and shows/talks about the do's and dont's on how to be able to survive if you fall thru the ice. Its a report from the Discovery Channel and well worth your time to watch it.

PLEASE watch it all, some of the imost mportant info is towards the end. People have actually saved themselfs by their coat arms freezing on the ice, then they pass out with hyperthermia. And survive instead of drowning.

http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
what a helpful video...this is a must see!!!

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
pretty incredible, i learned quite a bit from that.  thanks for the post

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hopefully this will help save a life, if you can stay calm is the big thing. I have fallen thru the ice before, just a little more than waist deep, in the Rookerie at Willow Slough.Seen a deer go across the ice - figured I could too.Ice kept braking in 4 to 6 ft sections so I would slide in the water each time, tried crawling out, and a 6 ft piece broke and I slid in head first-very scary by yourself. 3rd time down that old muzzle loader hit the ice and went off-scared the H#ll out of me. I pictured myself being frozen in the hole like a movie I had seen.I finally had to take my new muzzle loader and brake the ice a little at a time so I could walk out.There was a drought that year and I had just walked thru that whole area, but it rained and snowed and flooded the whole thing.It probably lasted 10 min. but seemed like an hour, I never hunted by myself or ice fished for years.I have over come this now but I am very safe and don't take chances- and oh yea I didn't get the deer.LOL
Stay Safe-Stay Alive
Tom
Tom

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
We have several "rules" in our family and Rule #1 is: "Don't make a bad situation worse." I have seen this video before and was worth watching again. Also, a friend of mine who had a job looking for bodies in the spring after ice out said that if more people froze themselves to the ice then less people would have to risk their lives looking for them. Something to think about.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
GREAT VIDEO!! THANKS FOR POSTING IT!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
Hi Gang!
  I could not get it to play the video.
  Thanks
  Da-Roc

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That goes ditto 4 me how are you suppose to watch this video. I think I know what I need to know but, there is always something new you need to learn. Please advise what steps are needed to view. Thanks Abishop

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi Gang!
  I could not get it to play the video.
  Thanks
  Da-Roc

When you click the link. You should get a new page, with Discovery Channel in the top left corner, and below that there should be a video box. It may take a minute or two for the video to download. In the lower left bottom corner of the video box I think it will say connecting to media first, then after it connects. It will say buffering. The first time I watched it, It seemed like it took 1-2 minutes before the video started. When it starts, a woman will be talking. Then it switches to the scientist skiing across a lake. I sure hope you can get it to run, it is well worth watching.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
what a helpful video...this is a must see!!!

Very good video highly recomend that every ice fisherman watches it. It just may save someones life and that would be worth the posting thanks alot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.