Author Topic: Minnows Under Ice?  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Minnows Under Ice?
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Anyone ever trapped minnows under the ice? Seems like all the regs are very vague when it comes to trapping minnows. I've tried contacting a local CO and he told me that all rules and regs apply to trapping minnows as with fishing. It just doesn't seem right because isn't the point of a minnow trap to throw it in and check it later that day or the next day? The way he made it sound is that it has to be attended at all times. I'm waiting for a response back from him. How do you guys do it during the open water season? I'm only curious about this because a lot of times when I go out on the ice, bait shops aren't always open. My work schedule is whacky and I've never had much luck keeping them alive for more than a day or two. Should I even try to get them under the ice or just by a large amount and figure out how to keep them alive?   ???

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Minnows Under Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:55 PM »
my best luck for keeping minnows is a 55 gal. poly drum with an large air pump, late winter early spring I might have 2 or 3 running for chubs and such
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:30 PM »
minnow trap in open creek or buy bulk. like said a plastic tank will hold them fine after its up and running good. keep the waater cold too. read up on keeping minnows before you try it with a bunch. my tank is pretty simple. kept in the basement cool and dark. a fountain pump flows into a bottle with scratch pads in it then dumps back in the tank from above(water fall like) no air pump needed that way.

its a bit crusty after running for the last 8yrs, but still keeps minnows and gills all year long. when the filter bottle gets loaded up i just make a new one and toss in some of the old nasty pads. that keeps the filter working. i think the entire system cost me 20 bucks. i have held 40 bait gills in this tank, half full, for several weeks.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:16 AM »
I use a bucket and a cheap aerator. I change about half the water about once a week letting the new water sit for a day or two before I add it and I feed them some beta flakes probably twice a week. I think a buddy told me not to use gold fish food so I don't couldn't tell you why. A little work but you can keep minnows alive for weeks. I keep them in my garage to keep them cold but then they freeze kinda quick on the ice I always wonder about some kind of antifreeze for them maybe a new thread would clear that part up.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:55 AM »
We trap them alot in the winter. We chop a hole, drop a trap with some dry dog food and let sit for an hr or so. We live close by the creek so we don't watch over trap. Won't do much good to leave over night or for long periods, minnows will over time find a way out.Like everyone else has said, minnows and chubs will keep for a few weeks with aeration. Shiners are not as easy but will still keep with care.   

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:58 AM »
Have a friend in the UP of Michigan. His father alwars trapped his own minnows in a marshy area that had a small pond in the middle. He used a wire trap he used? I never saw it so can't tell you what it looked like. He baited it with bread. Chopped a hole in ice and dropped trap down to bottom. First time he used it he dropped it to bottom and the next morning had a couple hundred nice minnows, all dead. No oxygen. Next night he dropped it down  6-8 feet. That did the trick.
He had a big tank in basement with an areator that kept them alive all winter.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:09 AM »
There may be a problem getting a minnow trap in a legal size hole, that may be a problem unless you make one to fit,10 inches is the max size hole you can cut and im not sure if a store bought trap will fit through it

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:38 AM »
There may be a problem getting a minnow trap in a legal size hole, that may be a problem unless you make one to fit,10 inches is the max size hole you can cut and im not sure if a store bought trap will fit through it

Private water, the rules don't apply.

Offline Gillhunter97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Eat Sleep Repeat
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:57 AM »
What do you guys bait your minnow traps with? I usually put bread in them..

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:13 AM »

I thought 12" was the max size hole in Indiana waters?

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:31 AM »
I thought 12" was the max size hole in Indiana waters?

I do believe that is true.  I am also looking at trapping non-navigable creeks and streams to see if they fall under "private" water.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Dog food holds up longer but bread is just as good this time of year.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:07 PM »
My daughter has a gold fish that continues to live from this summer's local fair.  I'm really wishin that fish would pass along so I can use the tank and aerator she has for my minnows this year.  Here's to wishing.  I haven't been reminding her to feed her fish lately  :whistle:

Offline Den58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I owned a bait shop and my brother -in-law owned one to we used oatmeal balls in our traps worked great

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I do believe that is true.  I am also looking at trapping non-navigable creeks and streams to see if they fall under "private" water.
Non-navigable waters does NOT mean it's "private" waters. You still need to follow the state regs on size and possession limits.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:47 AM »
Non-navigable waters does NOT mean it's "private" waters. You still need to follow the state regs on size and possession limits.

Wow, I am talking minnows.  Not size limits and possession limits.  Non-navigable waters are not open to the public. 

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Wow, I am talking minnows.  Not size limits and possession limits.  Non-navigable waters are not open to the public.
So the Kankakee and Tippy rivers are not open to the public?  Coulda swore I seen a few boat ramps on them rivers ;)

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:48 AM »
So the Kankakee and Tippy rivers are not open to the public?  Coulda swore I seen a few boat ramps on them rivers ;)

Those be navigable.  There is a list out there.  I checked into it years ago concerning a lake that is pretty close to my house that is private, but has a county ditch running into it.  The ditch was non-navigable, so accessing the lake from said ditch would be considered trespassing.  My question would be concerning trapping minnows, is that if all restrictions apply to non-navigable creeks and streams.  Specifically if the hole size is in play even though the public cant access them. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:14 AM »
http://www.in.gov/nrc/2390.htm

basically a navigable stream is public domain to the visible high water line. on non-navigable streams you have to stay in the boat on the water. you can access non navigable waters at road bridges or other state property.

OANN the real story

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Thanks for putting that up there Tim.  But there is nothing there that talks about ice and how non-navigable water play into what the "ice laws" are. 

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:11 PM »
My daughter has a gold fish that continues to live from this summer's local fair.  I'm really wishin that fish would pass along so I can use the tank and aerator she has for my minnows this year.  Here's to wishing.  I haven't been reminding her to feed her fish lately  :whistle:
tater, that's terrrible ;)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:20 PM »
i would just have to guess and say water is water. if your on the ice, it would be the same as in a boat. but you never know when dealing with gov. and if you dont know, the law, they will try and feed you some crap. lol

OANN the real story

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:31 PM »
i would just have to guess and say water is water. if your on the ice, it would be the same as in a boat. but you never know when dealing with gov. and if you dont know, the law, they will try and feed you some crap. lol

Understand.....but to me dealing with non-navigable water aint the same.  You cant be on that water when it is frozen in a boat or canoe.  So how does it apply?  I don't know, but it is an interesting question.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Understand.....but to me dealing with non-navigable water aint the same.  You cant be on that water when it is frozen in a boat or canoe.  So how does it apply?  I don't know, but it is an interesting question.

I bet it depends on what non navigable water your dealing with and the money around it. I hear papakeechi for example doesn't let it happen but I imagine many other places would be no big deal

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:27 AM »
i understand your problem with the wording. but who says you cant be on ice with your boat. :)  hell wear a float tube! lmao  rico, i believe on the ice to be the same as on the water. law states "the land" not the water is private property. if fish can swim in and out then they should be the public's fish. too bad there isnt an ask the co. section on this site.  ;D

and it should not depend on the water. they should all be treated the same under the law.

OANN the real story

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:29 AM »
I bet it depends on what non navigable water your dealing with and the money around it. I hear papakeechi for example doesn't let it happen but I imagine many other places would be no big deal

That lake is a horse of a different color.  The state does not deem lakes navigable or non-navigable.  They are either private or public.  Then we get into a different can of worms!!!!!!! ;)

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:34 AM »
i understand your problem with the wording. but who says you cant be on ice with your boat. :)  hell wear a float tube! lmao  rico, i believe on the ice to be the same as on the water. law states "the land" not the water is private property. if fish can swim in and out then they should be the public's fish. too bad there isnt an ask the co. section on this site.  ;D

and it should not depend on the water. they should all be treated the same under the law.

Oh yea.  The land owner doesn't own the water when it comes to rivers, creeks, streams, and ditches.  I would concur with your comments.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2014, 03:09 PM »
thats really cool rairdog! i have been reading about those systems. figured since i had a fish tank already i would set one up. havent gotten around to building it yet though. i got cherry tomatoes, radishes and lettuce in my basement now, in pots under lights.

OANN the real story

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:58 AM »
thats really cool rairdog! i have been reading about those systems. figured since i had a fish tank already i would set one up. havent gotten around to building it yet though. i got cherry tomatoes, radishes and lettuce in my basement now, in pots under lights.

Don't lie to me, what else you got in those "pots".  No pun intended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:06 AM »
 :o
Don't lie to me, what else you got in those "pots".  No pun intended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.