Author Topic: slow and steady... fast and hard... ??  (Read 7467 times)

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
slow and steady... fast and hard... ??
« on: Feb 03, 2006, 10:28 AM »
Which do you find the big 5+# bass do after eating your bait...  i have yet to ice a biggen, but hear from guys that some run like a salmon others just casually drift off, whats your  say??  -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
Re: slow and steady... fast and hard... ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2007, 10:38 AM »
every bass i caught runned like a salmon
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:59 PM »
i fish mainly for bass in the winter months and these are my findings espicially with big bass.  a big bass will have aslow steady turn, but a smaller bass will rip off some line. when i see that steady roll i get excited. usually the perch, pickeral, and again the smaller bass will rip line
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:17 AM »
thats all i go for summer and winter...they run really had and fast ...sometimes one will go slow but they always run somewhere ..u can usually hook them fast because once it sets that flag its already halfway down his throat lol i caught a 22 inch 6 1/2 pounder threw the ice last year ..its in my freezer im getting it mounted

Catch A Buzz

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:57 AM »
nice fish! pawtuckaway or onway? do you ever ice fish onway in the winter and by the way i also love setting the hook on the run! others like to wait and see what's going on. not me
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2007, 11:05 AM »
yeah best time to hook em is on the run...i fish onway summer and winter pawtuckaway ive tried in the summer once or twice got a couple ..never tried pawtuckaway in the winter..but i didnt catch it out of either pond ..

Catch A Buzz

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2007, 05:23 PM »
southern nh? guessing game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:53 PM »
 ;D

Catch A Buzz

Offline buckman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2007, 02:47 PM »
All the big bass we have caught they usually run very slow and steady

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2007, 07:57 AM »
this winter i've had my 5.4 lber run slow and steady, yet had a 3.8 spool my line down to my knot.  Depends on the fish.

Offline johnyp27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:04 AM »
sometimes if there's more than one the run alot more line and fast i have had slow runs from big fish and then had some take all the line off the tip up

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2007, 07:48 PM »
the large ones i got set off the flag, took about 5 feet of line then just sat there. when i let got of the line on my larger one to get the gaff, he peeled line and went straight below the ice for 20 feet (like a salmon) but that wasn't initially when he took the bait, it was after i had set the hook.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:55 PM »
You can usually tell when a bass has taken your bait they swim off in at steady pass some slow some medium speed. If you see the flag go up and it spins and then stops chances are its a pickerel if it just keeps going there's a bass on the other end. I have experimented and found I get better hook ups if I set the hook as its swimming away. I believe if you wait till it stops its to late they have felt the hook and will spit the bait. I use circle hooks so I don't really set the hook I just grab the line to stop the fish and the circle hook does its thing.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline freaknsweet17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What Are you lookin at?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2008, 04:48 PM »
ive only caught smaller and they tear some line off
ICE FISHING!!!

Offline scrounger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:27 PM »
have had bass to 4 pounds and none have gone further than 40 yards.  no good fights at all, most came back like a pile of weeds

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2010, 02:57 AM »
Most of my large ice bass (4 lb+) just inhale it and slowly swim off.  The smaller ones run like crazy.  Exceptions to every rule of course, just generally speaking.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Most of my large ice bass (4 lb+) just inhale it and slowly swim off.  The smaller ones run like crazy.  Exceptions to every rule of course, just generally speaking.
Thats what I have found.
Allan

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:44 AM »
I typically associate slow & steady with a big bass. (Assuming your fishing in good enough water depth.)  But like everything in like there are exceptions to every rule. My wife caught a nice 3lber this year that was burning pretty well!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.