Author Topic: Targeting bass  (Read 3521 times)

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Targeting bass
« on: Feb 01, 2005, 06:12 PM »
I have fished the last 2 days for bass in a small pond. I have been fishing anywhere from 6-12 feet or water and setting my bait about 2ft. from the bottem and i have only been catching pickeral. I found a spot today that is a very steep drop off that goes from about 4 ft. to about 20 ft. in a short space. Should i try fishing the bottom flat of the drop off or around 15ft? Where would you guys be fishing for them. Thanks ;D

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
Re: Targeting bass
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2005, 04:03 PM »
Have to know the overall structure? Weeds, rocks, humps ect....   Bass relate to structure to ambush prey and retreat to deep water or weeds. Try setting your traps at various depths and try to get a map of the lake or find where weedbeds are. I have caught bass in 3ft of water all the way to 16ft depends on what they are relating to. Good luck :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2005, 05:14 PM »
cover the drop off and find were they are. mostlike in 8-17ft of water but closer to 8ft

Offline david123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2006, 03:36 PM »
we've found this year that the area just above the weed tops is productive for bass.  We've caught them in 5 feet of water, but the bait only a foot and a half under the ice.  Go figure.  The experts say that the warmest water will be within 2 feet of the bottom. 

Offline freaknsweet17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What Are you lookin at?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 05:02 PM »
fish near heavy cover bass still stay ..near.. weeds if it is dead and brown :tipup: :tipup:
ICE FISHING!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.