New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fawn Lake  (Read 4270 times)

Offline icefanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
Fawn Lake
« on: Mar 23, 2011, 03:46 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is going to try fawn lake Apirl 1 for lake trout.

Offline jackfrost

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fawn Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:02 PM »
I will be there on the 2nd!

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Hush

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is going to try fawn lake Apirl 1 for lake trout.

Well, there goes that "secret".  ::)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline trapper330

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Somethings are better left not said on here. SHHHHHHH

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2011, 05:31 AM »
Somethings are better left not said on here. SHHHHHHH

You are soooooooo  right..... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2011, 07:52 AM »
rookies  ;D ;D ;D ;D  ??? ??? ??? ???
It's close

Offline pisecolaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2011, 11:39 AM »
There goes another lake that will get fished out.  I'm running out of lakes to fish up here! >:(

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Try Putnam Pond another secret spot!

Eagle Ed

Offline icefanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2011, 04:17 PM »
I didn't know secrets spots where printed on the back of outdoor news about a month ago

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2011, 04:21 PM »
RFLMAO

Eagle Ed

Offline jackfrost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2011, 05:10 PM »
So what is wrong with asking people if they are going to fish a certain lake???? If you guys know the lake and are so concerned that it is a big secret, then why would you respond with such concern that it is the best kept kept secret in NY???? This type of response makes people believe that it is an AWESOME hot spot that has never been disclosed to the public...... The correct response would be yes I am fishing it or no I am not. This type of response does not give the impression that the body of water is a "SECRET". Your responses would be the cause for anglers to look for this "SECRET" spot and not the simple question of who is fishing it.....
If I was surfing the forum for info and did not know the lake and read your comments I would start researching and looking for this "SECRET SPOT" as you would to...
This site should be for ice fisherman looking for fellow ice fisherman to enjoy the sport with each other, not negative remarks to people who are simply asking if someone is going to fish a certain body of water...
By the way if you do fish this "SECRET" spot you have to be aware of the special regs for this body of water, and in some years be brave enough to venture on the ice!! Most years anglers are looking forward to April 1st and grab the spinning rods, hit the local creeks and don't even venture to any frozen lakes....
My two cents...

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2011, 06:17 PM »
 There are no secret spots, just quiet ones until they get public notoriety  ::)

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2011, 07:02 PM »
aka canadarago perch fest ???

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2011, 08:18 PM »
some people just dont get it

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2011, 11:32 PM »
 :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline CntFishw/outVex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Look through the fishing guide,  its right in there.  Doesnt mean you will caught anything.
"Thats how we are"
Bkt Bkt

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2011, 01:37 PM »
Fawn Lake hasn't been a "secret" for years. If you do go there on April 1, good luck!

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Who really cares. With the amount of fisher people and the states lack of funding we won't have to worry about hot spots in a few years.

Offline fishinfurkarma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2011, 03:54 PM »
R there lakers I'n there?  Caught some killer smallies and other species I'n there but never any lakers

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2011, 12:43 AM »
There are lakers in Fawn Lake, I've caught many of them, but I haven't fished there for the last two years. Most of the lakers tend to be
small, many times they are legal, but just barely.

Offline adirondackbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Hello all.    Fawn Lake is not the hotspot everyone thinks it is.    After nearly 40 years of fishing there beginning every April 1st, the fishing is not nearly as good as it used to be.  It used to be great one time but those days are gone.  My honest opinion is the amount of fish caught (lakers) has gone down severely in the past 10-15 years.  Most fishermen will go home empty handed now.  With me it has been a tradition to be there every spring.   But I don`t go there anymore expecting to catch too much.  Mostly I enjoy the peace and quiet.  As far as being a secret, it`s no secret when I say the good fishing is gone down hill!   Believe me, other lakes are much better for lakers.   

Offline contender357max

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:35 PM »
I've fished fawn for years and Adirondackbob - you got it right!  Maybe 15-20 years ago it was a hot spot but now a group of 3-4 fishermen may get a keeper apiece, if they're lucky.  It's more of tradition and something different to do than high expectations for lakers.  I'll also agree that keepers are typically barely 18".  I have heard from others to expect ~36" of ice on the lake, waist deep snow in the woods, if you break through the snowmobile trail, and hard packed ice surface conditions.  Wish you all luck and please save me a parking spot!

Offline fishinfurkarma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Thanks for the conditions report my buddy is bringing his sled.  I agree it's not about catching a hog laker it's just cool to be on ice that you can only b on after April.  Don't know of any other lake ya can do that on.... Gonna b a first for me

Offline toes r cold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Good luck on your fishing but it may be real busy up there. A local woman was found dead there yesterday and they are still investigating. Such a terrible loss.
http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Body-of-missing-woman-found-autopsy-pending/3_ch76DwMUOMfUeo6LY_gA.cspx

Offline imoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2011, 05:40 AM »
That's a different Fawn lake where they found that women. that  Fawn lake is in Inlet not Sagandaga.
       Jeff <"(((><...

Offline fishinfurkarma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 01, 2011, 08:16 AM »
Anyone make it up there today I'n the snow?  Wondering how the edges are?

Offline adirondackbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Hello again ice men.  As far as one writer wrote about no other lakes being open after April 1st for fishing through the ice, most every lake in the Adironadack region is open for ice fishing until the ice goes.  And at these lakes, you can use 5 tipups when on Fawn Lake, you can only use 2 handlines, no tipups.  Fourth Lake used to be one of my favorites along with Piseco Lake,Sacandaga Lake,Sacandaga Reservoir,Raquette Lake,the Fulton Chain of Lakes starting at Old Forge,Blue Mt. Lake and many more. I have been on 4th Lake in the middle of April(22nd one time) and caught lakers and salmon and many perch.  Raquette Lake is exceptional at times(cloudy days mostly) and holds many lakers and big brook trout.  Lake George produces some nice sized lakers through the ice.  Another good lake is Indian Lake.  Some of the lakers caught there run 10-15 and bigger.  Most of these lakes have smelt which the lakers are after.  Some of the best springtime fishing for lakers is when the ice goes out on these lakes, open water fishing at the mouths of some small streams,either from shore or in a boat, will produce lakers looking for smelt.  In any case, my advice is get out and explore different lakes.  You will then find out there are numerous lakes that have good fishing. I try to fish 3-4 different lakes in the Adirondacks each year.  I have a few favorites which I often fish, summer and winter.  After years of fishing(since I was old enough to walk and go with my father), everything I have learned came from trial and error. And patience!   Sportsmanship is my #1 priority.   Breaking the fishing laws and regulations is foolish and unfair and can be costly. Enough for now.  Good luck fishing!  PS:  Take kids fishing.

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2011, 12:28 PM »
The excitement about going to Fawn Lake on April 1 is that it has been closed to fishing all winter; you almost get the feeling you are fishing in virgin
waters. However, I agree that the numbers or sizes of the trout being caught are not what they were 15 or 20 years ago. Whatever happens good
luck and enjoy the experience.

Offline contender357max

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2011, 07:13 PM »
Fished fawn today (4/1) and its winter up there! There is 28-30" of ice and a lot of snow in the woods.  The snowmobile trail was fine for walking in and the ice walking surface was excellent. No shore line issues at all!  I'll also report the facts about what some call this "hot spot".  We (2) were fishing by 7am and left at 3pm, yes, that's 8 hours of fishing time.  The result was one 20" pickerel and one short (17") laker.  The six guys, yes 6, we knew that were loading up when we were at the truck, fished just as long and resulted in 1 keeper and 3 short lakers.  No exactly results worthy of being called a hot spot if the take is what you're after but I've never had a bad day fishing and today was great!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.