Author Topic: Finding weed beds and edges?  (Read 5872 times)

Offline Fractured

• IceShanty Rookie
Finding weed beds and edges?
« on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:17 PM »

Hi all.

Does anyone have any tips or input on how to find weed beds and weed bed edges while Ice fishing? 

I’m relatively new to ice fishing and I am fishing bodies of water I don’t have a ton of experience on during open water season.  Mostly targeting panfish, pike with both tip-ups and jigging but after just about any species I can get on.  I have a hummingbird ice-35, hand held gps and navionics on my phone.  I do not have an underwater camera yet.  I’m fishing lakes in northern NY.

I plan on marking some weed beds during open water this year but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Finding weed beds and edges?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Usally the weeds die off by winter but the edge of the weeds us usally ware the first drop off is towards open water as in if you were walking to the deepest spot on lake the weeds stop ans for a edge that's the first drop.. of the lake the secound ,third, forth ect..  till at deepest part..  but find the first drop in shallow coves and bays that if you walk out the deep water is face the mouth of the cove or bay so if the boat exits the cove it's facing deep water.. ok the crappie perch etc will be suspended in the deepest part of lake when fishing crappie at night bait in crappie out occurs usually on the first drop in coves adjacent to deep water.  Weed edges in these coves are key indicators of the first drop in depth.. ok? For more info on this read the book ice fishing secrets by in fishermen cheap on copies or amazon

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Now is the time, if you have a boat and GPS, to get out there and mark them. Some of the weeds do die off in the winter but many of them remain.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Now is the time, if you have a boat and GPS, to get out there and mark them. Some of the weeds do die off in the winter but many of them remain.
yep easy way is just scouting a little in spring,summer and fall.ive got weed edges on many lakes stored in my noggin already.my internal free gps lake mapper.not old enough to start forgetting things yet.lol

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Lot of  lakes do a seasonal draw down ...so if you can get out and scout either by boat or driving the shore line and take notes and GPS readings. Also first ice/black ice is great for seeing the weed edges .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2019, 10:15 PM »
Good example of weeds on the edge of a drop. This area consistantly holds fish spring, summer, fall and winter. This weed edge is about 14 fow. A lot of browner weeds here.

Same weedline but most all the weeds a bright green, lots of fish cruising over the weeds and out to the edge in the winter. In this pic I am setup right on the transition with the drop about 2 feet away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.