The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northern wisconsin reports  (Read 81855 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: northern wisconsin reports
« Reply #60 on: Nov 27, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Sounds like good ice is making! Congrats guys.

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 04, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Nice pack of 'eyes.  It looks like cleats are the rule in your area too!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #62 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:43 AM »
Depthfinder, you fish Gogebic at all?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 05, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Gonna be walkable most places by Saturday. The ice @ Three Lakes didn't come off with the heat wave.

@ 52 - you hit Gogebic? Had a friend long ago that went up there and did great on 'gills. The Three Lakes HQ ain't that far out.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #64 on: Dec 06, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Gonna be walkable most places by Saturday. The ice @ Three Lakes didn't come off with the heat wave.

@ 52 - you hit Gogebic? Had a friend long ago that went up there and did great on 'gills. The Three Lakes HQ ain't that far out.

I'm going to try to get up this weekend, but work may get in the way. I've snowmobiled on Lake Gogebic, but never fished it. A resort owner up, there used to be a customer of mine at Gander, recommended a guide for Gogebic, so a buddy of mine and I are heading out for the first time on the 29th.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 06, 2017, 05:41 PM »
52, will be interested in how you do up there.  Been on my bucket list for years for the perch.  I want to see pics.  Those perch are amazing!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #66 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:53 AM »
52, will be interested in how you do up there.  Been on my bucket list for years for the perch.  I want to see pics.  Those perch are amazing!

Will do, we decided on a guide to eliminate the learning curve somewhat. From what I hear, the bite can be fairly tough.

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 08, 2017, 06:54 AM »
We haven't been up to Gogebic for many years.  Last year we heard several reports of many walleyes being caught through December.  Common to limit out but they are not big.  Lots of flags makes it fun.  That area gets more snow so expect slush mid winter.  We are planning a trip in December.  I hope you do well.  We fish manly around Watersmeet/Iron River area.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Anyone know what the ice situation is in the Bruce area? Amacoy, fireside, island, etc... I'm hoping to fish this area tomorrow rather than driving up to Sawyer county. Two weeks ago it wasn't fishable but I'm thinking it might be after this week.
This snow tonight makes me a little nervous on a new lake for the first time this year. Two weeks ago when I was out the ice went from 3" to 1/2" over a couple feet but I was ready for it since the ice changed colors and textures. Won't be able to rely on that tomorrow.
I'll be checking several lakes either way, will post an update after the weekend.
Da Pack!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 08, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Will do, we decided on a guide to eliminate the learning curve somewhat. From what I hear, the bite can be fairly tough.

Good decision we went up last winter caught 2 perch in 3 days but 2 of the days were absolutely miserable wind. Had to tie the shack to the Suzuki so it wouldn’t blow across the lake. Weird thing was there wasn’t a bit of snow on the lake anywhere except for patches of left over drifts. Good Luck hope you get some !!
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Just got back from St. Germain area. Checked some lakes Thursday afternoon and most had open to crappy shoreline from the warm spell but some were using ladders or planks to get out to fish what they called 4" of good ice. By Friday afternoon the shorelines had firmed up enough to get on without help. And this morning (Sunday) we took the sleds out instead of walking.

We found 6 - 7" of great ice on the Rainbow and caught three limits of nice eater walleyes from 6 - 8 FOW. As long as we don't get any heavy snow for a bit it should be a great ice season!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #71 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Just got back from St. Germain area. Checked some lakes Thursday afternoon and most had open to crappy shoreline from the warm spell but some were using ladders or planks to get out to fish what they called 4" of good ice. By Friday afternoon the shorelines had firmed up enough to get on without help. And this morning (Sunday) we took the sleds out instead of walking.

We found 6 - 7" of great ice on the Rainbow and caught three limits of nice eater walleyes from 6 - 8 FOW. As long as we don't get any heavy snow for a bit it should be a great ice season!

A half a foot on the flowage is a really good sign for the rest of us. Congrats

Offline Troutbum12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Anyone have a report from the Hayward area? Im bummed because my preferred lake sounds like it has measureable snow on it today.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:07 PM »
A half a foot on the flowage is a really good sign for the rest of us. Congrats

Yep. An what snow they have is the light fluffy stuff with no heavy wet in sight. If they can hold the cold ice maker till Christmas we should be GTG.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #74 on: Dec 12, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Yep. An what snow they have is the light fluffy stuff with no heavy wet in sight. If they can hold the cold ice maker till Christmas we should be GTG.

My hope is 6" by Christmas for me on Palmer and the Cisco Chain.

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:27 PM »
That should be a reasonable request for Cisco chain.  It might get below zero tonight as we are now hovering around 1 above.  Is Palmer plowed in the winter?

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Haha I was thinking of Pomeroy Lake in Gogebic County just across the border.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #77 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:19 AM »
Hell, the roads aren't even plowed up there, much less a lake.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Ice Report from last weekend: Had 5-6" on smaller lakes in Sawyer County, bigger lakes still weren't completely iced over but saw people fishing the bays.
Checked a couple lakes in Rusk County (Bruce area) and was surprised to only find ~1-2" along the shorelines with the snow having pushed the ice down to the point that water was coming up along the shores. Heard they were fishing the bays in the island chain but Island was still open in the middle.
My boss said they were out on Eau Claire lake and there was no open water. Halfmoon had 2-3" with several guys out. Miller Dam had 3", sketchy though.

Didn't make it up in the Chetek area, anyone have a report? Hoping to get up there this weekend. Cold week this week should lock everything up tight. I'll still have a spud bar with me for another week though.
Da Pack!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #79 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:43 PM »
I haven’t been out in about a week around Hayward area. The big lakes finally froze over but now we have been getting dumped on with snow. I bet we have a good 8 inches on the ground after today. Not good.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #80 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:26 PM »
It seems it has been snowing now for about 3 or 4 days, a dusting, a dusting, a dusting. I bet we have 12" snow now on top of thin ice. The only hope now is for the weight of the snow to push water up on the ice and freeze a nice slush layer. I have seen it happen fast before if water pushes up it will freeze 5" of snowy slush in a hurry. I'm hoping because it is going to be a pita walking out now. Snowmobile time.

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:54 PM »

Didn't make it up in the Chetek area, anyone have a report? Hoping to get up there this weekend. Cold week this week should lock everything up tight. I'll still have a spud bar with me for another week though.

As of yesterday the ice was only about 2 inches thick.  People are fishing it but can't/wont go out more than about 30 feet from shore.  Some of the more protected bays may be thicker.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Ice Report from last weekend: Had 5-6" on smaller lakes in Sawyer County, bigger lakes still weren't completely iced over but saw people fishing the bays.
Checked a couple lakes in Rusk County (Bruce area) and was surprised to only find ~1-2" along the shorelines with the snow having pushed the ice down to the point that water was coming up along the shores. Heard they were fishing the bays in the island chain but Island was still open in the middle.
My boss said they were out on Eau Claire lake and there was no open water. Halfmoon had 2-3" with several guys out. Miller Dam had 3", sketchy though.

We fished the north end of prairie last Saturday and had 4-6 inches but the ice had heaved in a spot from the island going south and no one dare to cross it. I'm guessing by now it's firmed up with the cold temps we've had since then.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:42 AM »
Had 8" up near spooner this weekend. ATVs and snowmobiles all over the place with permanent shanties out. 3" of slush on top with a layer of snow after that. Suspended fish were aggressive, took some finesse for the fish on the bottom.
Da Pack!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #84 on: Dec 18, 2017, 01:30 PM »
Anybody see the plunge in temps coming for Christmas week? Wow. Single digits to below zero. I'm hoping for a slush freeze before that get's out of hand.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #85 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Anybody see the plunge in temps coming for Christmas week? Wow. Single digits to below zero. I'm hoping for a slush freeze before that get's out of hand.

We need that in the North. Got 6 - 8" in the St. Germain/Three Lakes area and it was pretty wet. Some subzero temps would be just the ticket right now. It would also be  a plus for the sled season. C'mon winter!

Gotta have it down here too. Ice is barely fit to walk on and only in some places. By New Year should be GTG.

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:13 PM »
Its nice to see that we are not supposed to get the 14" of snow earlier predicted.  Our lakes need a break from snow and let the ice thicken up.

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 19, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Ice thickness is really lake specific right now in Rice Lake area.  I've seen 6-7 on some of the smaller lakes and as little as 2-3 on bigger lakes like Bear...  we were fishing a little 75 acre lake yesterday and there was 6-7" of good ice...  went to move tip-ups and found a spot with less than 2".  The pucker factor went through the roof!  Moral of the story is, don't take anyone's word or it on the interweb.  Verify for yourself and be careful!  Hopefully this snow holds off and the deep freeze coming next week puts down some ice.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #88 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:58 PM »
A Few A T Vs    went in by me  a few days ago channel 12 news    reported   and The Reclaimers were verey busy   this last WEEKEND  so be very carefull where you go  I also asked  the  local bait shop if he had spikes in he said hes not getting any
 AKA  PBP  Out
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #89 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Spent Christmas eve until NYs day up in Vilas. Absolutely the most brutal weather I've seen over the holiday week since I've been up there. Christmas day saw -15 with 30-40mph winds. I stayed in and got my gear gathered up. Tuesday I sat in my car and watched flags. Wed a buddy came up and we dragged a small Otter shack out to watch flags. Ice depth was 5-6". Struck out both those days and we said the hell with it and dragged my Voyager out to deeper water (19ft) and came up with two keepers. Fished Gogebic Friday, got my two personal best Perch out there with Jon Sibley, Fish with Guy Guide Service. The bite was odd. You jig until fish come off the bottom, then stop dead. The Perch will hit your jig or a dead stick you have above your jig. You need the most sensitive spring bobber imaginable to see them bite. Wigglers are all they fish with. Pretty cool, but not for everybody. Fished Saturday and got 2 more keeper eyes. Sunday I worked on the honey do list. Overall, a ton of fun, but the temps were downright nasty. Thank God for good boots and Striker suit. Ice by me was 5-6 on Monday-Tues, by Saturday night, 12-13. Slush wasn't bad, but it varied across the Cisco Chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.