New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: slender spoon  (Read 7884 times)

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: slender spoon
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:35 AM »
Ordered mine Thursday night (1/17) and they arrived today.  Got seven in all mostly silver and gold with varying colors.  No reds, mainly blue, glow, chartreuse.  Hoping that they ice me a walleye or two this weekend.  Don't know much about these spoons, does anyone have and info on presentation, what to tip them with if anything, especially when targeting walleye?

Here is an In Depth Outdoors video that they hit the first ice of this season with Slender Spoons:

Not much on the actual spoon, but they do catch a bunch of eater walleyes and some pike banging them on the bottom.

BIGJim223

Offline hoggerinthebucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch, Perch, Perch is there anything better!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:39 AM »
Hometown bait and tackle in marcy/utica has some smaller sizes and I guess their getting more larger ones to. Check them out.
"There's nothing better than a FAT HOGGER on your ROD"

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Daves bait in Mayfield has a good assortment as well

Offline TheBossHogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:24 AM »
I've heard so much about these slender spoons in the last couple days that I had to try and find some. I checked the gander in new Hartford and what do ya know they were out, no surprise there, I wonder of they ever had any. Oh well, so I called the rest of the ganders in new york and they said they had some but not many and were going fast so I searched ice shanty and found this post and decided to try the hometown place and he actually had them!!!! So i bought all three sizes and all colors he had plus multiples to put my own tapes on and paint myself. So needless to say i was busy last night and made up some of my own colors and headed to oneida this morning...I am now a firm in the slender spion. I limited on walleye in the first hour and moved a bit and got into some nice perch taking 12 home. If your fishing walleye or perch on oneida you need to do yourself a favor and get some of these spoons.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:13 PM »
I've heard so much about these slender spoons in the last couple days that I had to try and find some. I checked the gander in new Hartford and what do ya know they were out, no surprise there, I wonder of they ever had any. Oh well, so I called the rest of the ganders in new york and they said they had some but not many and were going fast so I searched ice shanty and found this post and decided to try the hometown place and he actually had them!!!! So i bought all three sizes and all colors he had plus multiples to put my own tapes on and paint myself. So needless to say i was busy last night and made up some of my own colors and headed to oneida this morning...I am now a firm in the slender spion. I limited on walleye in the first hour and moved a bit and got into some nice perch taking 12 home. If your fishing walleye or perch on oneida you need to do yourself a favor and get some of these spoons.

Wow, that is good to hear! I am hitting my local walleye lake Friday morning looking for the walleyes with the Slender Spoons I got the other day. Hope I do as well. If you don't mind me asking, did you put bait on your offerings? What colors worked for you? Did you aggressively jig them? Send me a PM if you wish!

BIGJim223

Offline ice fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • if there ice i am on it
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:02 PM »
I got the slender spoon and i want to try it for some perch
if there ice i am on it

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Don't drink the Kool-Ade :whistle:
AW

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Don't drink the Kool-Ade :whistle:
AW

What works today may not work tomorrow. I'd like to try them myself but I'm kinda partial to sweedish pimples with the glow tape

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:44 AM »
For me .. The Slender Spoon out fish's the rap .... maybe because I am just more confident in the Slender Spoon ... Gold Florescent Green tape is the hottest one. 
   ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Well I gave my haul of slender spoons a workout for 3 days now. I have nothing to show for it! I tried them tipped with a small shiner, just a pinched off shiner head, Gulp 1" smelt, Gulp minnow heads, and spikes. I tried the big ones 5/16oz, the medium ones 1/4oz, and the small 1/8oz in various colors. I jigged for 2 1/2 hours with them Friday, and drew in one fish (a laker by the way he acted on the flasher) that took a sniff. When I finally changed over to a silver/chartrues pimple, from a silver/chartrues Slender Soon, I got a lake trout (I was fishing for walleye!) before it hit the bottom! Luck? Coincidence? I don't know, but they did nothing for me this weekend....... :( :( :(

BIGJim223

Offline Tanimal85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Well I gave my haul of slender spoons a workout for 3 days now. I have nothing to show for it! I tried them tipped with a small shiner, just a pinched off shiner head, Gulp 1" smelt, Gulp minnow heads, and spikes. I tried the big ones 5/16oz, the medium ones 1/4oz, and the small 1/8oz in various colors. I jigged for 2 1/2 hours with them Friday, and drew in one fish (a laker by the way he acted on the flasher) that took a sniff. When I finally changed over to a silver/chartrues pimple, from a silver/chartrues Slender Soon, I got a lake trout (I was fishing for walleye!) before it hit the bottom! Luck? Coincidence? I don't know, but they did nothing for me this weekend....... :( :( :(

BIGJim223

Same here.  Went through every slender spoon I own, in every presentation I could think of and got skunked.  Going to stick to the tried and true stuff instead of what's "hot" right now.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to ice fish and he'll sit on the ice and drink beer all weekend.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Kool Ade ;D
I have caught many a walleye and perch on the Slender lady, but some days a Vertical presentation does not work as well as a Horizontal presentation...meaning the type of lure one uses ;)
AW

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 PM »
No kool- aid involved .... Did you catch fish first time you used raps ? You can't get stuck on trying to force it ... I switch up .. Spoon ... Rap ... Puppet .... Spoon on tough days . Gold and Chartreuse Green .. That is the best one for me it seems.

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:02 AM »
Last yr I went to Mickey's  for bait. As he was filling my pail I noticed he had some firetiger Genz ice worms so I bought two. I limited on perch at Williams and had my computer not crashed and lost my pics I would have posted them. So now I start with that worm every time out. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's all about what they want on that day.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:29 AM »
Come to find out a 1/8 slender spoon is a white perch's favorite lure...

Offline jmw5964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:28 PM »
Tried them for the first time at sodus yesterday. Did catch perch on them but dinks what happened to the jacks

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:56 PM »
 ;D caught a walleye (short) and a batch of perch on a 1/8 oz new fav color :whistle: yesterday, they can work good. Fish were following them up then slammin them .
just not enough time    <*)((><     >*)(((((((((>< 

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:41 PM »
can someone tell me please what size slenderspoons to fish for walleye and color thanks

Offline jockofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Just wondering, do you guys use that little safety snap that's included with the Slender Spoon or tie directly ?
She says " you've got to be nuts to go icefishing", my only reply is, " it helps".

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Just wondering, do you guys use that little safety snap that's included with the Slender Spoon or tie directly ?

Use the clip...that is what makes the action so good ;)
If you directly tie on, you will get snapped off with heavy fish...
AW

Offline jigginguru

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tap, tap, lift and wiggle
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:17 AM »
I put the slender spoons to the test this last weekend and they do catch fish. Its a unique action that not a lot of fish have seen before. Only one problem- the cheap hardware. I replaced the safety snap, split ring and hook on all the slender spoons I bought. These were all very poor quality. Imagine hooking the largest eye' of the season and having the cheap snap bend and break !! >:(
Catching more fish comes with a responsibility, keep a few for dinner and let the big ones swim another day.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:21 AM »
can someone tell me please what size slenderspoons to fish for walleye and color thanks

I have had my best luck with a 1/4 oz.  I have also caught them on 1/8 and 5/16.  tip it with a buck eye head and let the magic happen. 

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:04 AM »
Cheap hardware ?  I have a 3 year old spoon original hardware and has caught a lot of fish on it ...

For the new guys .... When you drop it ..it flutters out a distance ... I have caught a lot of fish jigging it and pounding it into the bottom bringing it back to the hole. 

Offline jigginguru

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tap, tap, lift and wiggle
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Cheap hardware ?  I have a 3 year old spoon original hardware and has caught a lot of fish on it ...

For the new guys .... When you drop it ..it flutters out a distance ... I have caught a lot of fish jigging it and pounding it into the bottom bringing it back to the hole. 

Yes, cheap hardware. I'm sure it's fine for dinks.. :woot: :woot: kidding! Maybe I forgot to mention that some of my best perch holes also have giant steelhead cruising around also, I hate loosing spoons to them.
Catching more fish comes with a responsibility, keep a few for dinner and let the big ones swim another day.

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Got my order of 9 new slenders from cjs, up to 17 of them now in various sizes/colors.

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:20 PM »

I noticed that .. ??? :icefish:lol took a coulpe drops for me to figure that out ..

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:38 PM »
One of my Slender Spoons got me a good fish today! I was using a 1/4oz Black Chrome/Chartrues with a pinched off Shiner head for a scent teaser, sight fishing for walleye or perch in very shallow (<6') weedy water. First drop in a new hole, I saw a good lake trout rush in to grab the spoon, I jerked it away a couple of times to get him aggressive, and then he smashed it! I pulled him right to the hole before he knew something was amiss, and as I grabbed him he went crazy and the supplied snap pulled apart! I pushed him on to the ice with the spoon still in his mouth! 6 pound fish, 4 pound leader, cheap snap! I had another couple of chasers on the Slender Spoon, but no more strikes.
  I'll keep on trying!

BIGJim223

Offline fishbizbob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:36 PM »
I put the slender spoons to the test this last weekend and they do catch fish. Its a unique action that not a lot of fish have seen before. Only one problem- the cheap hardware. I replaced the safety snap, split ring and hook on all the slender spoons I bought. These were all very poor quality. Imagine hooking the largest eye' of the season and having the cheap snap bend and break !! >:(

Hey guys read your quote, must say I was dumbfounded, as we use Rosco snaps and Mustad Premium hooks.  I can tell you iI've got reports form guys catching 13-14# eye's in Winnipeg, 25# pike in LOW and have yet to have a complaint on snaps or hooks. Weird.
I've used them myself and have yet to have a failure on either.

Maybe those NY fish  fight harder?

keeps you eyes on our site for an exciting announcement in regards to SLenders in the next 30 days.

Stay safe on the ice.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Fishbizbob: I don't think they fight any harder in NY, but this fish was as green as it can be! I do not think he even knew he was hooked yet. I was using 4lb test for a leader so didn't have much hope of getting him if he got into the weeds, so I brought him right up the 6 feet he was in. When he came out of the hole he literally went nuts! That is when the snap pulled.
  Maybe the snap was manufactured just slightly off, maybe the fish just twisted right to torque the snap, I don't know. I should not have called it a" cheap snap" in my above post. But after reading the other comment from above last night, that is the first thing that came to mind today out on the ice. The spoon I put on was brand new, just out of the package, and I caught the fish on the first drop of the lure. I noticed no problem when I snapped it to my line.
  The bottom line is that I caught the fish! And on a Slender Spoon that was designed for perch/walleye. I will get them figured out!
  Thanks for the great service your company offers! I will be placing another order tonight!

BIGJim223

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:23 PM »
My slender spoons came with a quality snap that all you have to do is make sure it is snapped ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.