New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: slender spoon  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Fishhunter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
slender spoon
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:16 PM »
im new to slender spoons, what colors ans size should i try for oneida walleyes?

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: slender spoon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:10 PM »
1 of everything they offer ;)
AW

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:23 PM »
1 of everything they offer ;)
AW

Agreed.  Someday ill have them all

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:11 AM »
Do you guys that use them find that tipping them with a fathead's head (as opposed to hooking a live fathead through the nose) have a better bite? I'm going to try this when Oneida gets safe ice.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:07 AM »
gotta get me a few of these as ive heard so many good things about them and everything else i have used from CJ&S has been dynamite.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:11 AM »
I think anything more than a minnow head would mess up the action of the spoon.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:31 AM »
Ive used whole/half/ and just the heads.  I always hook them down through the skull.  but usually I just rip off a half of minnow and jig away.  It flutters down fine with no matter what you put on the hook.  I prefer to use buckeyes over fat heads. 

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:44 AM »
Just picked some up this year gonna give them a shot this weekend

Offline Fishhunter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:34 PM »
is the 1/4 oz size good for walleyes? or 5/16 oz?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:30 AM »
I just saw this thread, but had heard so much good stuff about the Slender Spoons that I had placed an order with Custom Jigs yesterday morning. Seems everybody that sells these (that I could find) is sold out pretty much. If they work half as well as some of the videos and TV shows that have showcased them, I  should be happy! I bought my favorite local colors of Silver/Chartreus, Silver/Glow, Gold/Chartreus. I also picked up the Black Chrome/Purple, that looks like a wally killer for my local lake, as I do real well with black/purple spinner rigs during soft water season. No all I need is ice from this clipper coming through!

BIGJim223

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:08 AM »
I did finally order some more yesterday too but I managed to score a few at Gander in Rochester a few weeks ago. I still think my weapon of choice will be the jigging rap though.

Offline Fishhunter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:49 PM »
according to custom jigs and spins website the slender spoons are out of stock! looks like they're trying to keep up with orders though.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:22 PM »
according to custom jigs and spins website the slender spoons are out of stock! looks like they're trying to keep up with orders though.
They had all that I ordered in stock. There was a notice that certain sizes/colors were backordered until 1/17. I have not received a shipping notice, but was not informed that the ones I ordered were out of stock either. And I just checked, my
card was charged this morning

BIGJim223

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:51 PM »
picked up two tonight

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:05 PM »
I ordered a couple weeks ago, just got a partial refund of money, guess they didnt get all the colors in the shipment on 17th....my luck it will be the reds didnt ship...... :o
just not enough time    <*)((><     >*)(((((((((>< 

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I didn't order any red ones so don't know if they were out of stock.

BIGJim223

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:00 PM »
I ordered a couple weeks ago, just got a partial refund of money, guess they didnt get all the colors in the shipment on 17th....my luck it will be the reds didnt ship...... :o
gander has them in stock bought a couple on tuesday
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:44 PM »
My order just arrived today. Amazingly fast since I ordered on Wed. Sorry guys, but there were no red ones in the order and the price was adjusted. I ordered the lure tape on line though. Here is a warning - do not go through Barlows tackle to buy the tape. After the order was placed and I couldn't cancel, I was warned that there was a $4 small order fee!  As it was, the order came to $11 plus a ridiculus $6.95 shipping. Screw them and get the red or any other colored tape elsewhere.

Offline iceauger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1lb11oz Sodus bay
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Called gander mountain in Rochester and they told me they don't even sell them.....and on here I found out they do...thanks gander

auger :tipup:

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2013, 04:09 PM »
They've got them in Hennrietta not red but blue on silver, green on silver, and green on gold and I think last night I saw a white on gold.  The amount of merchandise they have for ice fishing IMO for a big "Outdoor" store like that is pathetic 2 rows of lures and some garbage gander mt rods and gsx.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2013, 04:11 PM »
 :-\ no reds in 5/16 but  ;D 1/8s came today. along with lots of other colors..... :clap:

Offline fishbizbob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:07 PM »
My order just arrived today. Amazingly fast since I ordered on Wed. Sorry guys, but there were no red ones in the order and the price was adjusted. I ordered the lure tape on line though. Here is a warning - do not go through Barlows tackle to buy the tape. After the order was placed and I couldn't cancel, I was warned that there was a $4 small order fee!  As it was, the order came to $11 plus a ridiculus $6.95 shipping. Screw them and get the red or any other colored tape elsewhere.

We have the SIlver/Red in all sizes EXCEPT 5/16th, that will be in stock late next week ( fingers crossed). Demand has been crazy this season. sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you guys.

Tight Lines,
Bob
www.customjigs.com

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:39 AM »
Thanks for the update and your fast shipment. Should we reorder next week then?

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:00 AM »
Called gander mountain in Rochester and they told me they don't even sell them.....and on here I found out they do...thanks gander

I found them there too. Their problem is they keep moving things around.
Bob P.

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:13 AM »
thanks for update Bob , great spoons.  hope to get my new ones wet soon.... :icefish:

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:31 PM »
My order came today, very fast service! Ordered Friday night and have them on Tuesday even with the holiday on Monday.
Nice spoons! I received all the colors I ordered. The glow ones I charged up with a UV light and it gave off a good glow, not the longest lasting glow I have seen, but did OK. I may modify the glow ones I bought with glow paint on the back side for even more attraction. I figure it can't hurt anything.
Can't wait to get out there later in the week and try them on the ice!

BIGJim223

Offline iceauger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1lb11oz Sodus bay
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Ordered some last night  ;D
sick of grander every time I call them I'm on the phone for 20 mins and they tell me we don't carry them.

Offline Tanimal85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:31 AM »
Ordered mine Thursday night (1/17) and they arrived today.  Got seven in all mostly silver and gold with varying colors.  No reds, mainly blue, glow, chartreuse.  Hoping that they ice me a walleye or two this weekend.  Don't know much about these spoons, does anyone have and info on presentation, what to tip them with if anything, especially when targeting walleye?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to ice fish and he'll sit on the ice and drink beer all weekend.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:57 AM »
Maybe this is why I haven't managed to pull an eye through the ice on Oneida yet. ???........ Just ordered a few...... ;D

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:14 AM »
I have about 10 in the colors gander carries, so i just ordered 9 more in different colors from cjs directly last night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.