Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89390 times)

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #240 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:55 AM »
We were out last night and the fish were supper aggressive. We caught 9'' gills all night and probably 12-15 crappie. Most were in the 8-10'' range with one at 11 1/4''. Lots of water on top but still 7'' good clear ice and it was refreezing when we left around 9:30.

Offline cowboytrevor21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #241 on: Jan 19, 2013, 02:26 PM »
How long were you out there raw fish

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #242 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Might try to head here tomorrow (Sunday) but going alone and with some potentially iffy ice we'll see. If anyone is looking for a buddy in the area let me know!

Offline cowboytrevor21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #243 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:20 PM »
I'm going to try to head out first thing in the morning was just wodering how the shoreline was holding up to the run off but ill still try tommorow I guess well need a rope

Offline cowboytrevor21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #244 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Ill probably be in my black frabill ice explorer and anyone is more than welcome to come by and talk

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #245 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Cowboy I fished from about 3pm to 9:30. The ice is plenty thick and the shore lines are froze. Be careful around Ensign that was the last open water I had seen but I'm sure its fine by now.

Offline cowboytrevor21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #246 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:14 AM »
Wonder if these are still around. Makes me wonder

Offline thermal

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hunting hard water
« Reply #247 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:21 AM »
Be questionable if 2008 flood had anything to do w either lake but worth checking out on days your on the ice
40 below and i don't give a got a heater in my tent and im off to the fishin holes

Offline cowboytrevor21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #248 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Dnr shows some on one of there maps from last year but the coordinates werent working for me. So who knows

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
Big creek
« Reply #249 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:26 PM »
How's ice up there was planning on fishing it on Friday any help would be great Thanks
Never to many short poles

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #250 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Last I heard (take that for what it's worth) was some open water in front of Ensign shelter on E side and getting towards channel and also a lot of open water in the north end in NW arm. Be careful as always and you should be fine.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #251 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Thanks for the help . Hopefully it's good and the fishing is good also.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #252 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:32 PM »
I was out Monday. fished off the Williams ramp. ice was about 8 inches but up north of the marina was open water. also be careful around ensign as there is a spring or something keeping water open. guessing low water is making it show up where it hadn't in years past.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #253 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Anyone been out this week? Want to get out one last time without having to worry about going through. Not sure how much of a toll this rain we have been getting has taken but i haven't been down that way since the beginning of January. Bite was pretty slow then, hoping it has picked up since then. Any info is good... Thanks

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #254 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:18 AM »
Yea, how's the ice yesterday?

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #255 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Made it out Friday. Just nailed the gills. It was one after another for a while there. Ice was still solid 7 8 inches. Hope it holds
 up with train today

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #256 on: Feb 10, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Went out for a little while today. Still a lot of open water on E side, got on at Williams and there were a few people to the south and some right in front of the ramp. Not many people, lots of water on top and you can tell the lower/higher ice chunks by how much water was on top or pooling. Didn't look the best from the ramp but once on the ice it was still as thick as it's been for a while. (posted above) Saw a few holes where water was flowing down into them from the surrounding areas. Guess that'll help get the water off the ice...

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #257 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Went out from williams drive on the west side last night, to try the night bite. We were setup on brush, marked fish, but could get no takers. Lots of open water 1/3 of the lake east of us. We had open water in several areas around us, just 80 yds from the west boat ramp, and there is some open water near the ramp. We both had current under us that was taking our lures away from the hole, and my slip bobbers were pulling under due to the current. The ice is really going fast there; we were just there last friday, and lots of ice changes since then.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #258 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Went out from williams drive on the west side last night, to try the night bite. We were setup on brush, marked fish, but could get no takers. Lots of open water 1/3 of the lake east of us. We had open water in several areas around us, just 80 yds from the west boat ramp, and there is some open water near the ramp. We both had current under us that was taking our lures away from the hole, and my slip bobbers were pulling under due to the current. The ice is really going fast there; we were just there last friday, and lots of ice changes since then.

I hope the ice holds...I want to get out there this weekend.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #259 on: Feb 12, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Did you measure the ice to see how thick it was?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #260 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Did you measure the ice to see how thick it was?
Yes, last night, the ice was variable. We drilled a hole on several occasions, and noticed one side of the hole was noticeably thinner on one side of the hole, over the other. Example, drill a hole and the ice depth on one side might only be 4" thick, and the other side 6-8". Some spots, the ice was only 3-4" thick, and 5 ft away it was 6-8" The winds and rain def have the big creek ice leaving rapidly. Lots of open water areas, and there was open water at the ramp.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #261 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:08 PM »
ASAT I'm planning on going to big creek on Sunday how's fishing and ice conditions? Maybe we could meet up there if ice is good just PM me and Thanks

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #262 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:14 PM »
I think the ice is going to be history at big creek in two days; we couldt believe how much the ice had deteriorated last night, since we were there last Friday. I think we're leaning towards brushy again this weekend. It is far enough north, that the ice is holding up well. Brushy sound ok for u? Any other ideas?

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #263 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:24 PM »
One of my friends from desmoines is fishing big creek tomorrow he's been doing well on gills nice crappies and a few walleyes so I will have better idea by tomorrow night but I'm going somewhere north on Sunday

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #264 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:25 PM »
I will warn him about the irregular ice there so he will be careful tomorrow THanks ASAT

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #265 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Crossing my fingers that the cold will help....I was planning to go to Big Creek on Sunday. Looks like I might head to Brushy for the first time...

Jumbo....keep us posted.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #266 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Is brushy a good bite I heard it was slow? But if I can talk the other guys to go to brushy we all might be able to search out some active fish as a team

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #267 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Fishing at brushy was slow for me and a buddy Saturday afternoon. We were fishing our usual 23-24 ft if water that we had done good earlier in the week in. My buddy went back out Sunday and decided to try 40' of water, and caught 15 10-12" crappies in an hr. he's guiding me to this spot Friday afternoon, if we can both get out.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #268 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Here's a pic someone posted on another forum today showing big creek today. This is what big creek looked like last night when we pulled into the williams boat ramp.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #269 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Dang, that sucks. Sunday it was still very good in the spots we tried. Might be done there it looks....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.