Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 3rd times the charm at lake macbride  (Read 4610 times)

Offline ICE101

• IceShanty Rookie
3rd times the charm at lake macbride
« on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Friday: fished for walleyes in the early morning and lost two nice eaters at the hole, then switched to crappies later on and got 6 solid fish
Saturday: same story half dozen nice crappies
Sunday: different story, it took a while to find them but once we did it was pretty much nonstop for an hour or so, smallest fish was 11in and biggest was 14in, the size of the crappies has drastically improved in the last few years, 5 years ago all you could catch was 8-9in fish

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 3rd times the charm at lake macbride
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Awesome fish, way to stay after them...perseverance often pays off on the ice!  congrats!
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:37 PM »
what were you catching them on? fow?

Offline JaRoHe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Isn't She a Beauty!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:21 PM »
What time of the day were you fishing??? I hope to get out tomorrow, but it probably won't be until mid to late morning.  Which arm of the lake were you on???

Offline TritleFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Boooo!  Throw those spotted bass back!  Let em grow.  Keep the gills and crappies to eat, not the bass.  Booo  :(

Offline JaRoHe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Isn't She a Beauty!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:52 AM »
I plan on hading back out to McBride tomorrow, probably around noonish after my eye appointment.

Craig... I sent you a PM & Email, please check!!!

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:13 AM »
Boooo!  Throw those spotted bass back!  Let em grow.  Keep the gills and crappies to eat, not the bass.  Booo  :(

Its only a few largemouth. Not like i kept all I caught but maybe next time I should. Guess this is why I don't post pictures of my catches as some like to complain about some legally kept fish...

Offline TritleFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:38 PM »
Not trying to cause any drama.  I'm just saying that I like to see the bass in the water, not on a table.  Not trying to tell anyone how to fish or what fish they can and can't keep.

Congrats on the fish!

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I've had the same complaints on pictures with the SACRAED BASS in them, It its a fish keep them and eat them just the same. Racial profiling is wrong :o ::) Just my 2cents nice catch Perkeyone

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:55 PM »
eh..it is a little different with the spotted bass out of macbride, or kentucky's they are also called.  Lake Macbride is one of the only lakes in Iowa that can sustain this type of "largemouth" bass.  I am not going to tell Craig not to keep what is in his legal limit?  No,...would I prefer the spots be thrown back...yes...but that is his choice..he can keep his, and I can let mine go... :)

Happy Holidays Ice heads!

Offline Hawkize

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Isnt a it a fifteen inch length limit though? I dont want to be that guy, but the newspaper is 11 in across, one side. Thanks for posting, but ......
Ice Ice Baby

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:49 PM »
Its only a few largemouth. Not like i kept all I caught but maybe next time I should. Guess this is why I don't post pictures of my catches as some like to complain about some legally kept fish...

You dont even know what you kept LOL. Those are spots, not largemouth, the base of the jaw does not go well past the eye like a largemouth. And the limit is only 3 with a 15" min.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:48 PM »
I'm a huge bass guy and ultimately would like to see em go back but heck, if ur gunna eat em then the winter is the best time to do it cuz it tastes like crap in the summer.

Nice catch craig...

Too many bass is a bad thing also so keepin some isn't gunna hurt anything!!!

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:29 AM »
eh..it is a little different with the spotted bass out of macbride, or kentucky's they are also called.  Lake Macbride is one of the only lakes in Iowa that can sustain this type of "largemouth" bass.  I am not going to tell Craig not to keep what is in his legal limit?  No,...would I prefer the spots be thrown back...yes...but that is his choice..he can keep his, and I can let mine go... :)

Happy Holidays Ice heads!

Thanks Luke, considering I threw most of them back and I only keep 4-5 bass a year to eat and through the ice is the only time I keep them, rest of the year is completely CPR for bass. The biggest ones went back with me keeping just these. 

At this point I'll just drop teh picture so it doesn't offend any one else.

Craig

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:41 AM »
Isnt a it a fifteen inch length limit though? I dont want to be that guy, but the newspaper is 11 in across, one side. Thanks for posting, but ......

They were bigger then 15", the crappie was almost 11".

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:44 AM »
You dont even know what you kept LOL. Those are spots, not largemouth, the base of the jaw does not go well past the eye like a largemouth. And the limit is only 3 with a 15" min.

Actually one McBrides info I didn't see Spots listed so assumed they were Largies. Considering I fish mostly trout the rest of the year no I don't know it all when it comes to all the bass variations around.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:45 AM »
I'm a huge bass guy and ultimately would like to see em go back but heck, if ur gunna eat em then the winter is the best time to do it cuz it tastes like crap in the summer.

Nice catch craig...

Too many bass is a bad thing also so keepin some isn't gunna hurt anything!!!

Its the only time of the year I keep a few bass.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Its the only time of the year I keep a few bass.

No problem here craig...

Like i said, Nice catch...

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:26 PM »
Those fish were Toads.

Offline icefishermitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:14 AM »
Where were you at on Macbride. I got into a group like that the same day. Nice catch!!

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Hey,

I was at McBride on Monday and only caught small bluegills; was sitting on a tree in 20 ft of water.  Marked a lot of fish but couldn't find anything with size.  Where do you usually have luck?  I was thinking about heading down there again and was looking for some help/advice. 

Thanks,

Time to fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.