The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228886 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Granite, Crystal, North Crow/Albany, Laramie
« Reply #480 on: Dec 06, 2015, 03:35 PM »
Went out for a few hours this morning. Ice was good in the causeway. Caught probabaly 8-10 perch and a couple sickly rainbows. Several other groups out. Both lakes are capped, but look thin

You're right the trout in there are sickly looking....I've fished all over this great state and frankly granite is really the only place I see trout in this poor of condition... It is pathetic and the game and fish should be ashamed of it.  I don't think they mismanage every body of water, but this one has potential that is being wasted in my opnion.  End rant.

I had to meet a friend on Happy Jack today and decided to try Granite since I was out there...  In previous years I've kind of enjoyed targeting the perch in Granite... I've caught some pretty nice ones in there and sometimes a dozen or two at a time if I'm lucky.  Anyways fished for about 30 mins... ice looked about 5-6"... had a few missed bites I'm pretty sure were perch, and pulled in half a dozen really runty trout... I kinda feel bad for these trout, they look like they are starving.

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #481 on: Dec 08, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Have you guys ever done any population studies on the perch in granite and crystal, and has there ever been talk of managing those lakes to improved the perch fishing to give us guys in the SE some more options.

Dear SDFlagChaser,

We sampled Crystal Reservoir this year looking for yellow perch for mercury samples in order to provide up to date information on mercury concentrations in game fish. This is done throughout the state. While looking for yellow perch in Crystal, what we found was a decent abundance of larger perch from 10-12 inches in deeper water near the dam. Most perch I have seen out of Crystal have been much smaller, so this was a surprise. Not sure if they inhabitat that area during the ice fishing season, but if the ice is safe, might be worth a look. Back to your question, we have never done an estimate or really looked at abundance of perch in either Granite or Crystal. Our main management objective for those reservoirs is to maintain higher catch rates for stocked, catchable trout. However, I'm always interested in improving warm/cool water fisheries, mostly through habitat improvement. Christmas trees would be a good addition to the reservoirs and it can be discussed with the Cheyenne Board of Public Utilities, however those Christmas tree would take up space reserved for water storage, so it may be a non-starter. The other problem for perch in both of those reservoirs, is that they lack productivity, due to their operation. Water goes in and out of those reservoirs so fast that zooplankton growth is minimal and temperature is cold enough year round to restrict growth for species like perch. Some news for Granite and Crystal is that brood cull rainbow trout were recently stocked at both reservoirs.

Thanks for your question,

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #482 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:23 AM »
thank you for your time WGFDFiahBioLaramie this is great info
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Re: Granite, Crystal, North Crow/Albany, Laramie
« Reply #483 on: Dec 11, 2015, 02:00 PM »
You're right the trout in there are sickly looking....I've fished all over this great state and frankly granite is really the only place I see trout in this poor of condition... It is pathetic and the game and fish should be ashamed of it.  I don't think they mismanage every body of water, but this one has potential that is being wasted in my opnion.  End rant.

I had to meet a friend on Happy Jack today and decided to try Granite since I was out there...  In previous years I've kind of enjoyed targeting the perch in Granite... I've caught some pretty nice ones in there and sometimes a dozen or two at a time if I'm lucky.  Anyways fished for about 30 mins... ice looked about 5-6"... had a few missed bites I'm pretty sure were perch, and pulled in half a dozen really runty trout... I kinda feel bad for these trout, they look like they are starving.

Dear GemCitySlayer,

Granite Reservoir is your reservoir, we work hard at properly managing the reservoir based on its use and biological potential. Our job is to be good stewards of the aquatic resources SE Wyoming that you entrust to use, and Granite Reservoir is one of those. I am always game to hear how we could do better and would welcome that conversation if you would like to get together. Just let me know.

Take care,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #484 on: Dec 11, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Has GFP ever tried stocking fat heads in to granite or crystal?  There has to be a way to improve the forage base in those lakes.  Rapid City, SD gets its water from Pactola and Deerfield reservoirs in the Black Hills and they are both thriving fisheries. Both are very deep, cold water fisheries (sounds familiar) and they support lake trout up to 35 lbs, pike up to 30 lbs, nice crappie, perch, bluegills, largemouth bass, as well as rainbows and brown.   I know there is more that can be done with these two lakes.  I keep hearing about people catching more and more walleye in Gowdy Lakes and I pray that these will take off.   The sick rainbows that are currently in there make great forage for them. Also, the answer to anything regarding the little trout is usually something along the lines of "brood stock rainbows have been stocked."  Who wants to go catch a gross looking brooder?  I worked in trout hatcheries, the last thing I want to catch is a brood stock rainbow. 

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #485 on: Dec 11, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Also, thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions and put up with all of us. I worked for Mcnenny Hatchery in SD, and also the Dubois hatchery. I fully understand that these lakes are simply put and take fisheries, I just think something more can be done.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #486 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Flagchaser, the fatheads probably wouldn't survive long as they don't swim well or fast compared to game fish. Other minnows would work better like golden shiners. Curious what the native shiners are and what could be done to boost their populations? Suckers are a great forage base too.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #487 on: Dec 12, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Has GFP ever tried stocking fat heads in to granite or crystal?  There has to be a way to improve the forage base in those lakes.  Rapid City, SD gets its water from Pactola and Deerfield reservoirs in the Black Hills and they are both thriving fisheries. Both are very deep, cold water fisheries (sounds familiar) and they support lake trout up to 35 lbs, pike up to 30 lbs, nice crappie, perch, bluegills, largemouth bass, as well as rainbows and brown.   I know there is more that can be done with these two lakes.  I keep hearing about people catching more and more walleye in Gowdy Lakes and I pray that these will take off.   The sick rainbows that are currently in there make great forage for them. Also, the answer to anything regarding the little trout is usually something along the lines of "brood stock rainbows have been stocked."  Who wants to go catch a gross looking brooder?  I worked in trout hatcheries, the last thing I want to catch is a brood stock rainbow.

Dear SDFlagChaser,

Just read your post from home and thanks for your thoughts on the fisheries at Curt Gowdy. These are great starting points for this topic and once back at work I'll dedicate some time to them and my response. Looking forward to continuing this discussion.

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #488 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Hello game and fish, Hole Tender just showed a pic of crappie off keyhole. Do we have two different type of crappie. White and Black? Yes
No one left behind.     

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #489 on: Dec 14, 2015, 09:14 AM »
Hello game and fish, Hole Tender just showed a pic of crappie off keyhole. Do we have two different type of crappie. White and Black? Yes
Yes we do. As Clear Creek mentioned, both black and white crappie have been in Keyhole for decades. Black crappie tend to be the most numerous on a more consistent basis. However, every so often, we get big year classes of white crappie. White crappie tend to run bigger in size as well (at least at Keyhole). Hope this helps.

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #490 on: Dec 15, 2015, 05:48 AM »
I'm very concerned about the tiger muskie stocked in middle depression. In your opinion how long before they make it into bass lake and boysen? Both lakes are down stream.

Offline Hole Tender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #491 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:55 AM »
They are sterile.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #492 on: Dec 16, 2015, 08:07 AM »
Recently heard that tiger trout where stocked in the Sunshine lakes outside of Meeteetse. Is there any truth to this?

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #493 on: Dec 16, 2015, 08:30 AM »
Yeah they stocked them in Lower spring of 15
Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #494 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Recently heard that tiger trout where stocked in the Sunshine lakes outside of Meeteetse. Is there any truth to this?
According to our database, Lower Sunshine Reservoir received 10,000 tiger trout in 2015. Call the Cody office should you have any additional questions on this topic at: 307-527-7125.

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #495 on: Dec 16, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Is it legal for a licensed bait dealer to sell minnows at a location other than the address listed on there bait dealers license application, {on the ice at Keyhole Reservoir}

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #496 on: Dec 16, 2015, 12:40 PM »
Just want to thank the game and fish for putting in the effort / resources to stock tiger trout in Wyoming.  They grow fast, are really aggressive fish, and are beautiful too... (most of them) ;)  Hybrids can sometimes look really weird ;D

Is there any plans for them in the Laramie Region?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #497 on: Dec 16, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Just want to thank the game and fish for putting in the effort / resources to stock tiger trout in Wyoming.  They grow fast, are really aggressive fish, and are beautiful too... (most of them) ;)  Hybrids can sometimes look really weird ;D

Is there any plans for them in the Laramie Region?

Dear Gemcityslayer,

We are currently trying to establish a tiger trout fishery at East Allen Lake, near Medicine Bow. 7,800 were stocked in 2013 and 2015. They are planned to also be stocked in 2016. There is ample forage in the lake and our expectations are that they will grow to large sizes, that being said we have not captured one in sampling gear post-stocking. There are a few other waters we will be considered this winter as well.

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #498 on: Dec 16, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Is there a forage base in Hawk Springs? The walleye always look skinny. I caught a tiny sunfish of some sort a long time ago but I don't know if they are suitable for walleye.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #499 on: Dec 17, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Is it legal for a licensed bait dealer to sell minnows at a location other than the address listed on there bait dealers license application, {on the ice at Keyhole Reservoir}
Good question and the answer is NO. Mobile minnow sales are not allowed. The reason for mobile minnow sales not being allowed is the fact that we can't control where the fish are coming from and/or going to. There is too much risk of getting fish in places where we don't want them. The entire baitfish regulation is set up to minimize the risk of moving fish where they are not wanted and can cause undesirable and irreversible ecological consequences.

Another note with this. Somebody selling anything at Keyhole would have to have permission from the State Park and be considered a concessionaire before they could sell anything (the Marina for instance).

Hope this helps.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #500 on: Dec 17, 2015, 10:58 AM »
The person that asked the question runs the bait shop at Keyhole.

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #501 on: Dec 17, 2015, 02:12 PM »
The person that asked the question runs the bait shop at Keyhole.
Yes I am, the Empire Guesthouse in Pine Haven

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #502 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:01 AM »
I'm very concerned about the tiger muskie stocked in middle depression. In your opinion how long before they make it into bass lake and boysen? Both lakes are down stream.
[/quot
Being sterile has nothing to do with down stream migration. Muskies are are ferocious pedator. Just curious to the impact on other species.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #503 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Hopefully they thrive. This state needs more predators like musky and pike.  Ever watched a pike run on a tip up?  It's awesone

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #504 on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:11 PM »
At what age do I need to buy my son a license to fish in Wyoming? he is 8 now and we live in Nebraska. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #505 on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:42 PM »
Any youth under the age of 14 does not need a fishing license if accompanied by a licensed Adult, that youths catch will be applied to the adults limit. Any youth under 14 may purchase a license and have their own creel limit.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #506 on: Dec 20, 2015, 09:35 PM »
thank you! that is what it thought, but just wanted to double check

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #507 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Any youth under the age of 14 does not need a fishing license if accompanied by a licensed Adult, that youths catch will be applied to the adults limit. Any youth under 14 may purchase a license and have their own creel limit.

What wyohunter posted is true for nonresident youth anglers. (The poster that asked the question was from Nebraska so that is probably why wyohunter answered that way he did - without mentioning resident vs. nonresident youth anglers.)

A Wyoming resident youth less than 14 years of age does not need a fishing license and can keep their legal limit of fish while fishing with or without a licensed adult angler.

ClearCreek

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #508 on: Dec 21, 2015, 03:30 PM »
thanks for the clarification! that's how it is in Nebraska as well. I guess while we are at it here I'll shoot ya another one. is he allowed to have his own set of poles out, or does he need to fish off of my pole allowance? hope that makes sense.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #509 on: Dec 21, 2015, 05:42 PM »
He can use his own poles but he needs to have his name on each rod setup if using more than two, same with you
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.