The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228870 times)

Offline dfauverii

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #300 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:36 PM »
  I'm gona get into bowfishing this summer.  All i want is to kill some carp.  Nothing else.  Alot of states allow bowfishing them at night with lights.  What would it take to get wyoming on board with this?  It wouldn't hurt to get rid of a few thousand out of every lake, river, pond, and stream.  Are the rules for a bowfishing contest the same as for a regular fishing contest?  That would be a cool thing to do.  Sorry this isn't about ice fishing but since game and fish checks this out i wanted to try anyway. 
You can lead a man to water but you can't make him catch fish.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #301 on: Mar 01, 2013, 01:18 PM »
There is a bowfishing tourney on Ocean lake every year now, talked to the guy who puts it on and he said they are shooting for the free fishing day to have it again this year, which I think is June 1st, waiting for the fliers to come out to send to wyofarmer or mountain man on Myfishfinder.  Cannot wait to hit it again this year, maybe three years in a row, but always just go out to have fun and spend time with family.

Offline Pyro Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #302 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Has there ever been Golden Trout stocked in Deep Lake in Med Bow Nat Forest or do you know of any ever having been caught there? I have been told by a few people they have caught them there but all of the research I have done leads me to ask you folks. I am aware of Bear Lake, and the Shelf lakes but other than that I am curious as I don't want to spend my time on a lake fishing for a fish that isn't there.

Thanks,
Chuck

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #303 on: Mar 11, 2013, 10:59 AM »
Dear Pyro Chuck,

Looking back at our historical records, Deep Lake has never been stocked with golden trout. It was first stocked with brook trout in 1935 and brook trout were stocked almost annually up until 1969, when it appeared they were naturally reproducing. Cutthroat trout were stocked in 1945 and 1952 and rainbow trout were stocked once in 1956. Currently, based on our most recent netting, brook trout are the only game fish present. Since 1985, golden trout in the Laramie Region have only been stocked into Shelf Lake #1, Shelf Lake #2, Bear Lake, and <300 once into Lake Owen in 1989. We (the Department) did stock some bigger golden trout (about 8 inches) into Bear Lake last year, so that might be the place to start catching some larger golden's. Good Luck!

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Has there ever been Golden Trout stocked in Deep Lake in Med Bow Nat Forest or do you know of any ever having been caught there? I have been told by a few people they have caught them there but all of the research I have done leads me to ask you folks. I am aware of Bear Lake, and the Shelf lakes but other than that I am curious as I don't want to spend my time on a lake fishing for a fish that isn't there.

Thanks,
Chuck

Offline Pyro Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #304 on: Mar 12, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Hey thanks so much for the info here. I was actually panning a trip to Bear so hopefully we'll get lucky up there.

Thanks again,
Chuck

Dear Pyro Chuck,

Looking back at our historical records, Deep Lake has never been stocked with golden trout. It was first stocked with brook trout in 1935 and brook trout were stocked almost annually up until 1969, when it appeared they were naturally reproducing. Cutthroat trout were stocked in 1945 and 1952 and rainbow trout were stocked once in 1956. Currently, based on our most recent netting, brook trout are the only game fish present. Since 1985, golden trout in the Laramie Region have only been stocked into Shelf Lake #1, Shelf Lake #2, Bear Lake, and <300 once into Lake Owen in 1989. We (the Department) did stock some bigger golden trout (about 8 inches) into Bear Lake last year, so that might be the place to start catching some larger golden's. Good Luck!

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline Donerightwyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #305 on: Mar 30, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Is the WGF going to acquire the black hills power pond in Osage?

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #306 on: Apr 01, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Is the WGF going to acquire the black hills power pond in Osage?
We continue to work on that but nothing is complete at this time. We are doing everything we can to aquire this pond for future public use.

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #307 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:23 PM »
I've been on the search for bathymetric maps or anything similar for some of the waters around Sheridan and haven't had a lot of luck. Just curious if you guys might have anything like that or if you know where I might be able to find such a thing?

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #308 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:51 PM »
Do you have any information on woodruff narrows reservior?   I can't seem to find anything about it.   Is it fishable?   Thanks!

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #309 on: Dec 08, 2013, 02:20 PM »
I was wondering if there's anything that can be done about minnows for bait across state lines. Specifically the anglers in the northern part of Wyoming who would like to fish live bait in the Tongue River Reservoir. I live in buffalo wy. Is there anything that I can do, or that can be done to enable me to use live bait 40 miles north in Montana without having to drive to the nearest baitshop (billings?) then back again to the reservoir, then discarding all before I go home?
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline WYOiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #310 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Is it legal for registered tribe members to hunt non reservation land with a tribe liscense?
I ran into a guy down on the river by Kinnear that was hunting in area 170 for deer, but he did not have the liscense for area 157/170 like I did. He had a reservation liscense, and said that it is ok for him to hunt the adjoining private land.
He was not on reservation land.

Offline CVOGlide2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #311 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:32 AM »
I am with you fishboy! Wyo and Mont figured out a way to get around the invasive species thing on boats and water craft. Even have done some education on whirling disease, so why can't they get together and figure out something on the live minnows. In Wyo I do believe that flathead minnows are the only live minnow allowed. I think in Mont that there are other varieties that are sold besides flathead minnows so I do not see a problem in using minnows purchased in Wyoming to be used on the Tongue River Res. Come on people do something please!

Offline theo9805

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #312 on: Dec 12, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Montana has a thing for out of state leech dealers to get licensed to sell to people bringing leeches into the state, and requiring those bringing leeches in to show a receipt from the licensed dealer. Would it be that hard for them to do the same for minnows?

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #313 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:44 PM »
I think they have good reasons for the laws but it is definitely frustrating to a fisherman who relies on bait. 

If there was no concerns this would be an easy choice for them they would allow any and all bait and it would be no problem.  The truth is with bait there are often a lot of problems when people don't follow the rules.  Google ;D

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #314 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:05 AM »
I was wondering if there's anything that can be done about minnows for bait across state lines. Specifically the anglers in the northern part of Wyoming who would like to fish live bait in the Tongue River Reservoir. I live in buffalo wy. Is there anything that I can do, or that can be done to enable me to use live bait 40 miles north in Montana without having to drive to the nearest baitshop (billings?) then back again to the reservoir, then discarding all before I go home?
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do at this time. I understand the frustration from anglers on this issue. Wyoming's water is going into a Montana reservoir, so what's the big issue if Wyoming statewide certified minnows are used at TRR? As the post from gemcityslayer mentioned, there are numerous issues with live bait. Most anglers would follow the rules, but a few bad apples may not. In this day and age of illegal or accidental introductions the only way to prevent such a mishap is to not allow minnows to go across statelines. WGFD has been in contact with MTFWP about working something out. I'm optimistic that someday we will be able to do so, but for now, no minnows can go from WY to MT or vice/versa.

Hope this helps

Offline Benjfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #315 on: Dec 13, 2013, 04:36 PM »
You can use minnows on the Montana portion of Bighorn Lake with minnows from the same drainage in Wyoming. All you need is a free permit from the Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks. I've been doing this for years now. Why can't they do the same for the Tongue?

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #316 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Is it true they are changing the regulations on Hattie so you can use 6 lines? I understand fishing success on the lake is low but changing it to 6 lines with a 6 fish limit I feel will make the overall fish size smaller. With the overabundance of food in that lake why not treat it as a trophy trout fishery? Artificial flies and lures only maybe a slot limit of no fish between 16 to 20 inches can be kept and 2 trout limit? I think the size of the fish in the lake would increase making it a place people would come to from miles away at a chance to catch a monster brown or rainbow trout over 10 pounds. People will not be as excited to fish a lake with the extreme wind and weather as Hattie has without the abundance of very large fish.
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #317 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Looking for some new adventure options and saw a post about Lake Trout being in West Tensleep Lake up by Meadowlark.  Is there any truth to this and if so, are they very few and far between or is the population good enough to where a guy has a fighting chance of catching some?  Also, do any other lakes up in that area have them as well?
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #318 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:44 PM »
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do at this time. I understand the frustration from anglers on this issue. Wyoming's water is going into a Montana reservoir, so what's the big issue if Wyoming statewide certified minnows are used at TRR? As the post from gemcityslayer mentioned, there are numerous issues with live bait. Most anglers would follow the rules, but a few bad apples may not. In this day and age of illegal or accidental introductions the only way to prevent such a mishap is to not allow minnows to go across statelines. WGFD has been in contact with MTFWP about working something out. I'm optimistic that someday we will be able to do so, but for now, no minnows can go from WY to MT or vice/versa.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your response. If I may trouble you some more please, who should I direct my frustrations at in this matter to try and enact change? I think a lot of anglers would be on board with signing some kind of petition to get states to co-operate. Why not cross state licenses?
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #319 on: Dec 18, 2013, 04:32 PM »
Looking for some new adventure options and saw a post about Lake Trout being in West Tensleep Lake up by Meadowlark.  Is there any truth to this and if so, are they very few and far between or is the population good enough to where a guy has a fighting chance of catching some?  Also, do any other lakes up in that area have them as well?
West Tensleep Lake is on the Cody side of the Bighorns, but according to our database, there are not lake trout in West Tensleep Lake (only brook, brown, and rainbow). On the Sheridan side, and accessible in the winter by snow mobile are Twin Lakes Reservoir, Park Reservoir, and Kearny Reservoir. Both Kearny and Twin are chuck full of lakers, with some decent fish too but most around that 16 to 20" range. Park Reservoir has a few but they may be tough to find. We will be stocking more lake trout in 2014 to boost that population.

Not accessible in winter, but still awesome lake trout fisheries are: Firehole #1 and #2, Seven Brothers #1-#7, Geneva, Heart, and Thayer lakes (all in the Cloud Peak Wilderness).

Hope this helps

Offline park546

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #320 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Just heard that tickets are being issued for using underwater cameras.  Any truth to this?  I understand it is because of the light.  I read the regulations and it seems that you could interpret the law that way.  I seriously doubt that when that law was written it had anything to do with lights of this nature.  Please advise.

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Wanted to say Thanks to WY G&F for promoting so many youth fishing and hunting specific opportunities.  My son is 10 and he completed his CutSlam at 8 yrs of age - since then we have found out about the Youth Fishing Challenge and he has already gotten his Master Angler certificate.... we just got back from fishing Ocean and Bass lake's where he caught a perch to add to his list and goal of completing all of the Youth Challenges.  The Youth Challenge of course provides a goal for the kids but more then anything has given our family countless memories to share in the outdoors.   I would encourage any other families to take advantage of this great opportunity G&F has provided.  Nevin has all his posters framed in his room.... proud son and parents indeed!  thanks again.

Offline wyojoker307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #322 on: Dec 26, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Saw a post earlier about "shrimp" falling off an anglers hook. Is it legal to use raw shrimp as bait in Wyoming? Any shrimp like store bought not from a bait shop?

Offline austmoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #323 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Has there been a change the last two years in how west newton lake in Cody has been stocked?  Historically I have always caught a bunch of cutts in the lake although they were quite small.  The last two years I have been averaging much larger fish but the count seems to be less.

Thanks!

Offline wyice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #324 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:01 PM »
I have heard that trout have been stocked in Wheatland #3 over the past few years. Is this true?

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #325 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I have heard that trout have been stocked in Wheatland #3 over the past few years. Is this true?

Dear wyice,

Since refilling in 2009, Wheatland #3 has been stocked annually, from 2009 through 2012 the size of fish stocked ranged from 2 inches to 8 inches, but a majority stocked in that time period were smaller fish in the 3-5 inch range. 2009 - 265,397 trout stocked; 2010 - 176,412; 2011 - 145,117; 2012 - 264,142; 2013 - 54,229 (all of these were 7-inch fish). From 2009 through 2012 the Game and Fish, Fish Culture Section did an outstanding job finding extra fish within their system to stock into #3. 2013 represented the first year of a normal fish stocking schedule, which should be around 70,000 7-inch RBT. The reservoir is starting to decrease again, stocking will continue until it is deemed the stocked fish will no longer survive. Lots of different trout species were stocked from 2009 through 2013, these include brown trout, Snake River cutthroat, Yellowstone River cutthroat, Bear River cutthroat, Colorado River cutthroat, and rainbow trout. 

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #326 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Dear wyice,

Since refilling in 2009, Wheatland #3 has been stocked annually, from 2009 through 2012 the size of fish stocked ranged from 2 inches to 8 inches, but a majority stocked in that time period were smaller fish in the 3-5 inch range. 2009 - 265,397 trout stocked; 2010 - 176,412; 2011 - 145,117; 2012 - 264,142; 2013 - 54,229 (all of these were 7-inch fish). From 2009 through 2012 the Game and Fish, Fish Culture Section did an outstanding job finding extra fish within their system to stock into #3. 2013 represented the first year of a normal fish stocking schedule, which should be around 70,000 7-inch RBT. The reservoir is starting to decrease again, stocking will continue until it is deemed the stocked fish will no longer survive. Lots of different trout species were stocked from 2009 through 2013, these include brown trout, Snake River cutthroat, Yellowstone River cutthroat, Bear River cutthroat, Colorado River cutthroat, and rainbow trout. 

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie
Thank you for come on the site and give your time to answer some questions for us the info is extremly useful. Thanks again
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline hansonjb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #327 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:43 AM »
is there a snake river G&F rep in here? is live bait prohibited everywhere in lakes in teton county?

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #328 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:19 AM »
Is there any place on the G&F website stating where and how many fish were stocked for the year?
Don

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #329 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Is there any place on the G&F website stating where and how many fish were stocked for the year?

I'd love to see this, they do it in Utah.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.