The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228920 times)

Offline WGFDFishBioLander

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #270 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:24 PM »
What kind of fish are actually in cameawait (bass lake)?  I keep reading that there are trout, ling, bass of course, perch, crappie, bluegill, and sunfish.  I would just like to know for sure what is actually in there.  How about sand mesa?  Is there good access to that and what kind of fish are in there and is it worth going to? Thanks alot.

Lake Cameahwait is managed mainly as a largemouth bass fishery.  A few rainbow trout are stocked, but they don't grow or survive well do to poor food availability.  Lack of algae and zooplankton - the reason that the lake is so clear - means that the lake is not very productive for planktivorious fish such as rainbow trout and most young fish.  There are very few ling, and no crappie that we are aware of.  Bluegill were introduced to the lake in 2012, with plans for additional stocking in 2013 and 2014.  Bluegills, if they become established, may provide additional foarage for the bass as well as an added opportunity for anglers.  We are in the process of determining the feasibility of enhancing the productivity of the lake.  This may be through the addition of more nutrient-rich water via currently abandoned irrigation ditches, control of cattails in the inflow area (cattails strip nutrients from the water before it can reach the lake), or methods to release nutrients from the sediments.  If successful, this could go a long way to improving the fisheries potential of the lake.
Sand Mesa no longer has an adequate supply of water during the winter months to support sport fish.  Unfortunately we have had to abandon efforts to maintain the Sand Mesa ponds for fishing.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #271 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply, that is great information on the catfish, would really like to see some in there but understand about the competition for the forage in there and that the crappie and perch numbers might be impacted.  Just thought that the more turbid the water the easier the bait fish were able to hide, but guess the predatory fish are able to hunt in all kinds of water, and with not a lot of structure or weeds for the bait to hide in easier for the bigger ones to find and eat them.  Thanks again for the information, and also glad to see the introduction of blue gill into bass lake, cannot wait to catch a few of them.

One last question is there any bait fish put into Ocean lake, or is the shiners in the lake from natural reproduction in the canal and other waters that dump into Ocean?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #272 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:33 PM »
WY game and fish-

What are the line limit regualtions on Dinwoody Lake on the reservation? Is it the same for reservation members as non-native fishermen?

I will attempt to answer this question, but be aware that this water is not under the jurisdiction of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department and for further information I encourage readers to contact the Tribal Fish and Game.  Regulations differ for tribal members compared to non-tribal members.  Tribal members have no line or creel limits.  For non-tribal members the season at Dinwoody runs from January1 through September 30.  For ice fishing at Dinwoody, six lines are permitted with no more than one hook per line.  Each line shall bear the name of the angler.  During open water fishing, only two lines are permitted.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply, that is great information on the catfish, would really like to see some in there but understand about the competition for the forage in there and that the crappie and perch numbers might be impacted.  Just thought that the more turbid the water the easier the bait fish were able to hide, but guess the predatory fish are able to hunt in all kinds of water, and with not a lot of structure or weeds for the bait to hide in easier for the bigger ones to find and eat them.  Thanks again for the information, and also glad to see the introduction of blue gill into bass lake, cannot wait to catch a few of them.

One last question is there any bait fish put into Ocean lake, or is the shiners in the lake from natural reproduction in the canal and other waters that dump into Ocean?

The emerald shiners and spottail shiners were introduced to Ocean Lake by the G&F many years ago and have become very well established.  Foarage availability is usually quite good at the lake.  The problem for many of the predators is having clear enough water so that they can effectively see and capture the forage.   We continue to work with various other organizations and agencies to investigate solutions to the turbidity problems at the lake, but unfortunately it is a problem with no easy remedies.

Offline dfauverii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #274 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:47 PM »
  Thanks for all the great info.  Here's another question for you when you get a chance.  Do you know what's going on with Wardell?  The little walleye in harrington have been good.  There used to be a bunch in wardell as well.  You hardly see anyone on wardell.  Just wondering if there's something to that.  Also i was wondering if you are stocking wardell as you are harrington.  Just wondering if maybe i'm driving past the lake i should be at. 
You can lead a man to water but you can't make him catch fish.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #275 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:38 AM »
Question. Gillette fishing lake/ pond. The only one that puts the willies in me. We got in classified as warm body water now, so this mean there is a chance of bass, crappie, perch, minnows of another mother; Don't now what species? To be introduced into the lake/pond. So with this stated what fish do you see in the future as a good habitint in the lake. As for trout I just hope we as the public realize it not our best interest spending money on a unproductive species. What say you. G&F? 
No one left behind.     

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #276 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Question. Gillette fishing lake/ pond. The only one that puts the willies in me. We got in classified as warm body water now, so this mean there is a chance of bass, crappie, perch, minnows of another mother; Don't now what species? To be introduced into the lake/pond. So with this stated what fish do you see in the future as a good habitint in the lake. As for trout I just hope we as the public realize it not our best interest spending money on a unproductive species. What say you. G&F?
Gillette Fishing Lake was re-classified as a warm water fishery to help the City meet some water quality standards that were not realistic to meet.  The only reason it was previously classified as a cold water fishery was the GF stocked trout in the spring and fall when water temperatures allowed them to survive for a while.  The City of Gillette has plans to significantly deepen Gillette Fishing Lake in the near future (a continuation of the project that started in 2012 to create some sediment traps above the reservoir).  If this happens, for now GF plans to continue to stock trout in the spring and fall to provide a trout fishery where very few exist.  If the dredging does not occur, GF will need to consider transplanting in likely largemouth bass and sunfish.
 Hope this helps

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #277 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:38 AM »
I will attempt to answer this question, but be aware that this water is not under the jurisdiction of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department and for further information I encourage readers to contact the Tribal Fish and Game.  Regulations differ for tribal members compared to non-tribal members.  Tribal members have no line or creel limits.  For non-tribal members the season at Dinwoody runs from January1 through September 30.  For ice fishing at Dinwoody, six lines are permitted with no more than one hook per line.  Each line shall bear the name of the angler.  During open water fishing, only two lines are permitted.

Thanks for your response. We appreciate you taking the time to be an active member of this message board.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline silvereyez13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #278 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Hello! Why is there not more of a variety if species in Pathfinder? Like perch, sauger, crappie, etc.? Just a curiosity? I really like to spend open and hard water time out there,but think it would be even better to have a variety! Thanks in advance!

Offline gravy_t

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #279 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:57 AM »
Anyone know where the aerators in Meeboer and Gelatt (plains lakes area by laramie) are? Obviously I can't expect and exact spot....but I'd feel more comfortable knowing what parts of the lake they were placed. Thanks!

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #280 on: Jan 08, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Anyone know where the aerators in Meeboer and Gelatt (plains lakes area by laramie) are? Obviously I can't expect and exact spot....but I'd feel more comfortable knowing what parts of the lake they were placed. Thanks!

gravy_t,

Here are the UTM coordinates for the aerators at Meeboer (NAD27) 13T 431105E 4562546N, We just finished breaking open a semi-circle hole today at Meeboer that should not freeze up. The large chunks of ice on the ice should help indicate were it is located as well. The UTM coordinates for the aerators at Gelatt are (NAD27) 13T 429887E 4565311N, we got the parts needed to fix the aerator at Gelatt and as of today it is operating and there is a small hole we broke open with an orange float in it. Hopefully it stays windy!

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline gravy_t

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #281 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Thanks!

Offline silvereyez13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #282 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Hello! Why is there not more of a variety if species in Pathfinder? Like perch, sauger, crappie, etc.? Just a curiosity? I really like to spend open and hard water time out there,but think it would be even better to have a variety! Thanks in advance!

Offline Sasumner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #283 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Just looking for some clarification. I see where it is legal to use three hooks per line, does that meen I can use three minnows per line, each with one single hook?

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:44 AM »
Just looking for some clarification. I see where it is legal to use three hooks per line, does that meen I can use three minnows per line, each with one single hook?
Yes you can. We've had some simplification in our regs on this matter. It used to be open water, two rods, three hooks per rod, six hooks total. Ice fishing was the same on waters not under the Special Ice Fishing Provision. Waters under the Special Provision could be up to six rods/tipups with one hook for a total of six hooks (or any combination of rods and hooks for a total of six hooks).  But now, its easy. Three hooks per rod/tipup. So on lakes that fall under the Special Ice Provision, you could technically have six tipups with three hooks per for a total of 18 hooks.

Hope this helps.

Offline Sasumner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #285 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Thanks, that's exactly the answer I was looking for!

Offline Wyofire36

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobbin
« Reply #286 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Are the Wyoming golden trout hybrids?
Catching Slobs

Offline Sasumner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #287 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Is commercial fishing or possibly a rewards system a viable option to reduce burbot numbers in the Green River Drainage?

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #288 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Are the Wyoming golden trout hybrids?
The WGFD does not stock hybrids except splake (brook-lake trout), tiger trout (brown-brook trout), and tiger muskie (muskelunge-northern pike). Rainbow, brown, brook, cutthroat, golden and all the others are pure strain fish that we stock. As far as golden trout, the Story Fish Hatchery has the only captive, pure strain, brood stock of golden trout in the world. Pretty darn cool. The WGFD went many years with no golden trout stocking but now with the success of the goldens at Story, we are back in business. With that said, in the wild, there may in fact be some populations with less than 100% genetic integrity/purity. Not exactly sure what fisheries may have hybrids, but it could be possible if rainbow or cutthroat are in the same drainage as golden trout.

Hope this helps

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #289 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Is any stocking or sampling done on big sandy resevoir?  Also has there ever been any depth charting of the resevoir?
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #290 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:09 PM »
The WGFD does not stock hybrids except splake (brook-lake trout), tiger trout (brown-brook trout), and tiger muskie (muskelunge-northern pike). Rainbow, brown, brook, cutthroat, golden and all the others are pure strain fish that we stock. As far as golden trout, the Story Fish Hatchery has the only captive, pure strain, brood stock of golden trout in the world. Pretty darn cool. The WGFD went many years with no golden trout stocking but now with the success of the goldens at Story, we are back in business. With that said, in the wild, there may in fact be some populations with less than 100% genetic integrity/purity. Not exactly sure what fisheries may have hybrids, but it could be possible if rainbow or cutthroat are in the same drainage as golden trout.

Hope this helps

Any chance we could see some Goldens in Wheatland # 3? ;D

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #291 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:57 AM »
I don't know if this has been answered or not, But what is Wyoming's opinion on fizzing fish? 
Don

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #292 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:01 PM »
Hello Wyoming game and fish,

I am looking for information on native and wild fresh water shrimp species in WY.

any and all help would be great!
I am just across the Border in sd and trying to find ways to supplemntly feed my trout in some ponds. I know some of your better trout rivers are thick with scuds, but I dont know much about them, and cant find much good info on the internet.
There is some info on ghost shrimp, but none stated that they survive this far north, do you have any in your home state?
Thanks!

You can email me if you like!  [email protected].

Offline lipripper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #293 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Where abouts are the tiger muskies stocked? What's the life span of a tiger muskie? And is there stocking dates for these muskies in Wyoming?
Flags a flippin, lips a rippin!

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Where abouts are the tiger muskies stocked? What's the life span of a tiger muskie? And is there stocking dates for these muskies in Wyoming?
Tiger muskie have been stocked in several waters in past years. However, the only waters that received tiger muskie this year was Healy Reservoir, LAK Reservoir, and Grayrocks Reservoir.  Prior to 2012, the last stocking of tiger muskie was 2006. Since WGFD does not make this hybrid, we have to rely on other states. This year we received the muskie from Nebraska and Washington. All the muskie were stocked small so it will take a few years before they are of "trophy" or legal size (30inches). Stocking tiger muskie for the future is up in the air at this point. We have the fish requested, but stocking will likely be determined by availability. Tiger muskie are used as a biological control in most cases, (i.e., to thin perch and suckers at Healy and thin suckers and green sunfish at LAK) and don't need to be stocked every year. Muskie can be long lived species although my knowledge of specific age and growth of muskie and pike is lacking. We are hoping to do some aging of northern pike at Keyhole this next summer to understand age and growth a little better.

Hope this helps

Offline lipripper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #295 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:57 AM »
The only reason I ask is that I have always heard that the tigers make it right about seven years. Therefore they reach their peak right around six....stocking dates would determine what size. Thanks for the information and maybe there will be some 40" fish in a few years! There was two state record caught out of  deadmans res. north of Billings Mt and they were caught year six and seven from stocking. As far as I know they have died out since.
Flags a flippin, lips a rippin!

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #296 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Interesting....
><{{{{*>~---

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #297 on: Feb 20, 2013, 01:07 PM »
Is there a way to get a variance on the 30 day notice for a fishing contest on Bass Lake for fater son/daughter etc?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #298 on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:57 PM »
A fishing contest application can often be processed in less than 30 days.  The first thing to do is to determine if you actuall need a permit.  AS fishing contest is defined as "an event for catching fish on waters of the state, excluding licensed fishing preserves, where an entry or participation fee is charged and fifty (50) or more adult (18 years of age or older) anglers participate on a given date."  If you don't meet these requirements, a fishing contest permit is not required.

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #299 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Thanks for the input.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.