The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228883 times)

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #150 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Well sorry to do this but I called Cheyenne and charging glow jigs with any kind of light is LEGAL sounds like there needs to be a meeting of the minds with the WY G&F :-\ Chemlights such as glowsticks are not legal along with batt. powered lights.... All lights are ok above the surface of the water as long as they are not directed down in the water :tipup:
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:30 AM »
I have also contacted the Laramie office and they are going to spend some time and get a FINAL ruling but the impressions seem to be the same as what I got from the Cheyenne officer. I did not get to talk to a supervisor but that is what the Laramie officer is doing for me. Just trying to clear things up for everyone :tipup:
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #152 on: Mar 05, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Thanks for helping get to the core of the regs Taz and thanks to all who participated in this brisk, productive discussion, I've de-fragged the thread and left only the most important info so we keep the Q's and A's going in an efficient fashion so new readers understand where we got to and how we got there without having to read every last post. Again, thanks.
                                                              Don  :tipup:

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Mar 06, 2011, 01:51 AM »
question ? there is a lake located between burlington and meteetsee used for irrigation,looks like it would make a great fishing lake but doesnt seem to be much access to it.Anyone have any info on it?

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:35 AM »
That's Roach Gulch Res.  It a res used for irrigation only but I have been told it has some nice fish that get drawn into the canal.  Cuts mostly
Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Offline lingrus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I talked to a young ranch hand a few years ago. He bank fished it and got some nice cutts.  I would have no idea who to contact for access.  My neighbor worked on building it and was adamant that was not going to be used for fishing.

Offline Tripwy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Fished ol roach one afternoon earlier this year for a couple of hours.  One rainbow was it, very healthy though.  Had to walk a longways to get down to the water.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Laramie G&F
I know that Diamond Lake was abandoned due to a lack of water a few years back and that Alsop took its place as a trophy lake in the SE corner of the state. It looks as though we are going to have another banner year for water. Is there any chance that this lake might be planted again and reopened for fishing?
Thank you, Geo

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline auhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Mar 07, 2011, 07:33 PM »
A question on the length limit for walleye on the river below the damn at Glendo Reservoir. I would like too know if the regs for the reservoir are the same for the river below the damn 15" or less have to be released? We  were reading them at work today and could not find that their was special regulations or diffrent regs for the river! So if the regulations for walleye aren't the same as they are for the reservoir how could you keep a smaller walleye and still go through the park too get out ? Not that I would keep any thing smaller than 15". It was one of those questions that we could not come up with an answer for! 
may their be holes in your ice and fish in your holes

Offline icingeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Mar 08, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Just getting started on the site but I got an opionion to share. Been reading a few of the comments and theres alot of negetivity about the guys keeping large walleyes out of Keyhole. I've seen seen guys leave that lake with a limit of 6 over 5 pounds each. That hurts a fishery. I say fine keep one sometime. If people beleive it's so wrong maybe we need to discuss this with the G & F. Not sure why a guy has to wait until a pike hits 30" just to keep one but we are able to take 6 walleyes any size a day off of most Wyoming lake. If a pike is such a great game fish to the G & F maybe they should start stocking them everywhere instead of just Keyhole. Most of our lakes here in Wyoming are smaller than the Dakotas, but theres no reason why we couldn't enjoy some of the world class fishing that is offered, if the creel limits were lower and a 1 fish a day over a set size was implaimented.   

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #160 on: Mar 08, 2011, 10:53 PM »
REMINDER TO KEEP THE DISCUSSION DOWN ON THIS THREAD. IT'S MAINLY GAME & FISH Q&A. FEEL FREE TO START DISCUSSIONS ON A SEPARATE THREAD.

Thanks,
MM

p.s. I will be cleaning up the thread again soon.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #161 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:03 PM »
May I please add to this question? 

With Nebraska being so close to Glendo reservoir, if there was enough public interest from all of us WY residents would the WYGF consider ever stocking Flathead catfish in addition to channel cats? (In Glendo that is)

Since the donated  flathead cats were "experimentally stocked" in the North Platte has the WYGF had any $$$ put away for the purchase of more flathead catfish?

If there was enough public interest would the WYGF ever consider stocking Flathead catfish anywhere in the state?

In your professional opinion, what would be the most ideal lake or river system to stock Flathead catfish in WY? (given WY had the funding and public interest)

Has the WYGF ever considered stocking blue cats in reservoirs?

That was a bunch of questions, but I really like to catfish. Thank you for your input.

Bump
If any G&F employees, especially fish biologists would like to add anything to these questions please feel free to respond.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline opyff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:30 PM »
I am from southwest WY and the burbot topic always comes up especially when the trout fishing is slow mainly on the Gorge and Fontanelle, everyone blames the burbot.  So my question is, why can burbot and other fish species live in the same reservoirs just fine east of the divide but not west of the divide?  And does this have anything to do with the lack of bait and pan fish in the west divide reservoirs?

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:02 AM »
There is currently a lot of buzz going around some forums I watch... the word is that certain federal fish hatcheries are losing funding and it could very well have an impact on our state.

For example, we get most if not all of our walleyes from a hatchery in North Dakota.  If this were to shut down what impact will it have on our walleye fisheries?...  (Check out this article http://www.bismarcktribune.com/...68-001cc4c03286.html )

There is also a hatchery in Utah I believe that would impact the Gorge and rainbow trout. 

Any news or information on this latest news the Wyoming G/F can comment on?

One last question:  Why has there not been an effort to establish warm water fish species hatcheries in Wyoming?  For species such as Walleye and Channel catfish?
Good topic and I'm sorry I really don't have a good answer. You are correct, we do receive warm and cool water fish from out of state hatcheries and conceivably, with loss of funding, this could impact Wyoming. I don't think anyone has an idea of if, when, or how bad.

As to your other question of Wyoming establishing a warm/coolwater hatchery. There are a couple likely reasons why we haven't. Constructing a warmwater hatchery would be very expensive (no actual idea of cost, but certainly in the 10's of millions). Warm/cool water hatcheries require massive amounts of space b/c most species of fish (walleye) are better raised in ponds. Wyoming probably isn't the best location for mass pond culture of warm/cool water fish species b/c of our high elevation and cold springtime temperatures.

Wyoming has a huge advantage however. We are awesome at raising trout. We raise so many trout and produce so many trout eggs we end up with extras. These extras end up being used in trades for other fish. Our state is awesome at raising trout and North Dakota is awesome at raising pike and walleye. This scenario works out well for all parties involved. We'll make your trout, you'll make our walleye.

Hope this helps

Offline fishingeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Can you launch a boat downstream of dave johnson power plant and drive a boat upstream to the dam and fish?

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Laramie G&F
I know that Diamond Lake was abandoned due to a lack of water a few years back and that Alsop took its place as a trophy lake in the SE corner of the state. It looks as though we are going to have another banner year for water. Is there any chance that this lake might be planted again and reopened for fishing?
Thank you, Geo

Geo/Tumbleweed,

Diamond Lake was last stocked in 2001.  Drought conditions and more efficient irrigation practices lead to the evaporation of water from Diamond Lake.  From what I have been told flood irrigation used to be the main irrigation practice in that country, but that changed over the drought years.  The snowfence built to add some supplemental water to Diamond Lake did not provide enough recharge to keep pace with the annual evaporation rate and so the lake is now a puddle, or at least it was last time I was there.  Despite the recent banner water years, natural runoff does not enter the lake.  The WGFD is working hard at all options of getting water to Diamond Lake.  Water is a very expensive commodity and there are many different stakeholders involved with the various scenarios that would get water to the lake.  We have not given up on this lake and realize its importance in providing excellent fishing in southeast WY.

Hope that gives you hope and the answer you were looking for,

WGFDLaramieBio

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Mar 15, 2011, 12:05 AM »
Sounds like after much debate the final word has come in on charging glow jigs. As long as you are not charging your jig while it is under the surface of the water it is legal :tipup:
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Mar 20, 2011, 11:43 PM »
Matt that was very well put

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #168 on: Mar 21, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Matt that was very well put
Thanks ;D

I will put my soap box away now. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry for the Derail MM. ;D ;)

Offline fishwhisperer307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Mar 22, 2011, 01:10 PM »
any1 know why alsop winterkilled!!!!!!!!!!

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Mar 23, 2011, 11:24 AM »
any1 know why alsop winterkilled!!!!!!!!!!

fishwhisperer307,

The Laramie Fisheries Management Crew is aware of the fish kill at Alsop Lake.  We walked about half of the lake this last Monday and counted over 50 dead fish on the shoreline.  We have not been able to get a boat onto the lake yet due to the wind to assess how many fish might be on the bottom of the lake.  Dead small minnow species were also observed along the shoreline.  Water quality measurements were taken also on Monday and they all appeared normal, so whatever has happened is now over.  We will be sampling the lake soon and this will give us a better idea if this was a partial winterkill or complete winterkill.  We do stock about 5,000 trout annually into Alsop Lake, so 50 dead ones along the shore would not represent a large portion of the population.   In addition, we will be restocking the lake mid-April and this fish will grow quickly.  One reason this event may have happened: The lake was still frozen as of this last Thursday and then opened up very quickly.  Over the winter oxygen in the water that settles to the bottom of the lake can become depleted.  When a lake becomes unfrozen and the wind turns the lake over quickly the anoxic water mixes.  This can cause oxygen levels throughout the lake to potentially drop quickly causing fish to die.  This is just one possislbe cause of this event.  When Alsop Lake maintains a good water level, like it has over the last couple of years, winterkill events like this have been rare, so we hope this was just a one time Perfect Storm of environmental variables coming together.  Again, we will be sampling the lake in a week or so and I will post results for those of you interested. 

Thanks for your concern,

WGFDLaramieFishBio

Offline WGFDFishBioLander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #171 on: Mar 23, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Do you think all the summer flooding is the reason for the huge boysen algae bloom? Have you ever seen this before? It is solid green in places. Do you think it could cause a winter die off?
We have observed algal blooms following high water events that carry nutrients to Boysen Reservoir.  The only die off that we've observed was related to a summer kill when wind blew algae into the dam region.  It was the year that there were many fires throughout the Wind River Mountains.  Alge produces oxygen when it receives sunlight and uses oxygen during the dark.  The dense algae near the dam with overcast from smoke resulted in an oxygen deficit near the dam killing trout, black crappie, perch and burbot.  During the winter, algae production decreases because of cold water and less sunlight penetrating through the ice.  Similar to garden plants, algae needs sunlight, fertilizer and warm temperatures to grow fast.  Algal blooms are common to many waters and are common to many of the bays in Boysen Reservoir.  Last year (2010) was a very extreme year.  Fish are good about avoiding poor water conditions and will move to reservoir regions where water conditions are more favorable.  Its rare to have them die such as near the dam.  The conditions must have occured very rapidly that caused the fish kill near the dam.   

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Can you launch a boat downstream of dave johnson power plant and drive a boat upstream to the dam and fish?

Would like to know this too

Offline mackhead3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Mar 26, 2011, 08:36 PM »
I don't understand why we can't fillet lake trout at the lake. I'm sure if we kept the carcass game and fish could tell that the fish was not over 28"

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #174 on: Mar 27, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Thanks to the G&F for participating this season!!! Hope this thread was a valuable resource for everyone involved. I understand the fish biologists are probably pretty all summer long, but invite them to join us on the MFF site http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?board=36.0
Thanks again!
MM

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #175 on: Mar 28, 2011, 05:35 PM »
HEAR HEAR! +1! ;D

Offline thill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Nov 05, 2011, 04:25 PM »
As a nonresident whom loves to fish and hunt I am confused about the buying a fishing license in January.  If in January I buy a annual nonresident fishing license since I love to ice fish,  then apply for a big game license.  If successful in the big game draw, do I have to pay for fishing license with my big game tag.  This would appear that I bought 2 annual fishing licenses which I would suspect would be illegal.  Would I be refunded one of the fishing license fees?

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #177 on: Nov 06, 2011, 02:49 PM »
As a nonresident whom loves to fish and hunt I am confused about the buying a fishing license in January.  If in January I buy a annual nonresident fishing license since I love to ice fish,  then apply for a big game license.  If successful in the big game draw, do I have to pay for fishing license with my big game tag.  This would appear that I bought 2 annual fishing licenses which I would suspect would be illegal.  Would I be refunded one of the fishing license fees?
Welcome thill! Try this link...
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/11AppBooklet/11NRALL.pdf
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline thill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:13 PM »
I'm still confused, if I want to buy a nonresident annual fishing license to fish during the month of January and then apply for a nonresident elk tag.  If successful in the elk draw, did I then buy two nonresident fishing licenses or did I pay for a nonresident fishing license twice?

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I believe the fishing lic on the nonres elk lic is thrown in for free, If you drew a 2011 elk lic then you can fish in 2011.But since the drawing isn't until  Feb if you want to fish in  Jan. 2012 you would have buy a fishing lic. and a stamp. or wait to see if you drew the elk tag.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.