Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 228830 times)

Offline keenej

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #750 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Has anyone checked the ice on Dog or Loughborough? 

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #751 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Whole thread dedicated to Loughborough..

Offline Flag_chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #752 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:52 AM »
I'm new to this forum but I was out on inverary on Monday and there was 6" of good ice.. Didn't catch anything it was just nice getting out for the first time..
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!

Offline keenej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #753 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:32 AM »
I'm going to try to get out this Friday depending on the weather.  Not sure what lake yet but will try to update on ice and bite.

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #754 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:40 AM »
Welcome Flag Chaser!
Thanks for the report. 

Offline Flag_chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #755 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:53 PM »
 I'm going to head out Friday to dog Lake from Hitchcock dr  try for some pike.. I'll leave feedback  on ice conditions..

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #756 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:10 PM »
I might do some scouting around this weekend, will post if I see any good ice. Anyone been out on dog yet? Maple hill area usually freezes up early

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #757 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Hey Flag_chaser...I was looking to head out tomorrow as well.  Interested in some company. 

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #758 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:01 AM »
I'm going to head out Friday to dog Lake from Hitchcock dr  try for some pike.. I'll leave feedback  on ice conditions..
Looking forward to the report, never fished the south end before, usually go out at the shipyard or hogans.
@jzuliniak

Offline Flag_chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #759 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I'm heading out to Dog tomorrow (Maple Hill). I will be there late, probably around 2:00. have to fix my snowmobile in the morning. I'll be the one in the red portable hut. My name is Ryan if anyone plans on coming out.

Offline keenej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #760 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:40 AM »
I've just been to Dog off Burnt Hills.  About 2  1/2 inches maybe 3 of black ice.  Snow and water covered.  I think it's dangerous.  The roads are terrible too due to freezing rain in the area. 

Offline mattgreen49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #761 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Hi i herd dog lake was good for crappies were on the lake is the best place to get on and be close to good ground

Offline keenej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #762 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:27 PM »
You can get to Dog on Burnt Hills Road.  There's a parking lay by that's plowed by the municipality.  Or by the bridge between Dog and Cranesnest.  There's a campground there and the large weedy bay out front which is only about 15ft deep and it's probably a good place to try for Crappie and Pike.  I really only fish for trout but catch the occasional "slab" (I love that term).  You can also get on the lake at Shipyard Bay boat launch or Gilmour Point beach.  Perhaps someone else knows accessing the south end of the lake (shallow and weedy).  Good luck slaying slabs.   It's just a suggestion but I would wait for colder weather before venturing out.  I checked this am (dec 20) and the ice was dicey.   

Offline mattgreen49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #763 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:18 PM »
thanks keenej for the info and  ice report.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #764 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Ice up and around Verona was looking good.  Then ice storm hit today so could not check it out much.  Probably a couple of days before getting back on the roads given the skating rinks on roads.

Don
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #765 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:16 PM »
You can get to Dog on Burnt Hills Road.  There's a parking lay by that's plowed by the municipality.  Or by the bridge between Dog and Cranesnest.  There's a campground there and the large weedy bay out front which is only about 15ft deep and it's probably a good place to try for Crappie and Pike.  I really only fish for trout but catch the occasional "slab" (I love that term).  You can also get on the lake at Shipyard Bay boat launch or Gilmour Point beach.  Perhaps someone else knows accessing the south end of the lake (shallow and weedy).  Good luck slaying slabs.   It's just a suggestion but I would wait for colder weather before venturing out.  I checked this am (dec 20) and the ice was dicey.   
Did you go out by the bridge or right at hogans?  People have been on the bay at hogans since early dec surprised set the lack of ice or are you saying it was only a couple inches out beyond the bay?
@jzuliniak

Offline keenej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #766 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:28 PM »
at Hogan's.  There was a lot of water on the ice.  Took about six turns of my hand auger and I was through.  Looked to be about 2-3 inches of actual ice.  That was the ice in the bay.  I didn't go too far out.

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #767 on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:33 PM »
was out on Verona Lake this aft with a few guys from work.  Ice was 5 to 10" of solid black ice covered in slush with a frozen top layer.  The top could sustain the weight of a man in some places, but others it was weak and would break.  Made for tough walking in some spots.
Fished 13 to 22 FOW and went 0 for 2 bites.  Saw a few fish on the finder but didn't get many takers.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #768 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:32 PM »
I haven't fished Verona Lake.  What species are in it?  Walleye.?

Offline Flag_chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #769 on: Dec 24, 2013, 06:23 AM »
I just picked up my new flasher a marcum showdown 5.6 dual beam can't wait to get back out.. Is the bite on anywhere? I have had no luck on inverary so far..

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #770 on: Dec 24, 2013, 06:47 AM »
supposedly it has walleye, pike perch and crappie.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #771 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Went out at Hogan's (North dog lake) yesterday.  9-10" of ice in the bay and out past the point about 100yrds.  Fishing was slow and the roads are dicey
Tight lines

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #772 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:09 AM »
How about the parking along the road are any spots cleared yet,  Gotta watch that brass point bridge road they plow right over the ditches and it looks like it is flat  but you will drop down into the ditch is you try to pull over.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline mitch seguin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #773 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Two days ago I parked on Hogan's road just past the main gate.  The road to the docks was not plowed although and was IMO a bit dicey to try.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #774 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:43 PM »
It was a little sloppy on the lake today. Hard to walk on the lake as you would break through the snow cover with every step. Some watering up under the snow cover, however, good black ice underneath the snow. By tomorrow with the temperature it may be a little easier a go.

Ciao for now.

Don

a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline mattgreen49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #775 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:27 PM »
went out with my boys for a fish today had a awsome day of perch fishing on verona lake non stop action for about 2 hours little sloppy though but good black ice under it.

tight lines

Offline Craig17dt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #776 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Been out on Collins lake twic since saturday both times had plenty of action landing 13 pike from 2-4 pounds. Fishing about 15 feet of water. Unlike most years there im having more success jigging rather than still lines. 8 inches of solid black ice with another 5 inches of white ice. Yesterdays frigid weather really helped the ice and the fish were on.

Craig

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #777 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:16 AM »
Got out on Long Lake and a back lake near Arden last weekend.  Landed lots of perch with a few big misses.  Ice was looking great with a good 8 - 10" of black everywhere, not to mention a hard pan of ice on top of the snow.  The ice should be even better with the -22 temps we have been having the past couple days.  Fish were all caught on tip ups with live minnows.
Cant' wait for the weekend!

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #778 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Howe the ice fishing on devil lake. I own. Cottage there for 30 years and have never really iced fished it. Thinking about going up next weekend and give it a try. I'm assuming pike is about all I'm going to get. Is there any crappy
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline Flag_chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #779 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:20 PM »
I was out on inverary lake today and caught 11 pike. The fishing was strong in the morning and lasted until 1sh. We used meadium shiners on tip ups.There was a good 10" to 12" of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.