Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 228877 times)

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #570 on: Mar 09, 2012, 09:42 AM »
yeah, verona.  Mind you I was there on wednesday, and the warm rain yesterday has likely affected that thickness a bit.  It will be safe for walking and sitting on for sure, especially with the cold last night and tonight.  I wouldn't drive out though because even on wednesday the whirlpooling holes were getting pretty big and from past experience getting a truck wheel stuck in one of those is a real PITA.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #571 on: Mar 09, 2012, 09:53 AM »
thanks 9am53.  I never drive on the ice, just isn't worth it for me. 
Tight lines

Offline TYBOY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #572 on: Mar 10, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Going for pike on BoQ (Deseronto) with my boat.  Swaping my 2010 Yamaha F60 for a 2012 Yamaha F90.  Ohhhhhh she's going to move!!!

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #573 on: Mar 10, 2012, 07:12 PM »
TheDL   
Lots of ice still on Loughbourgh, just no dam fish,,,,lol  Skunked again...Be out again tomorrow afternoon.

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #574 on: Mar 10, 2012, 08:56 PM »
Hey DL

I was on Dog today, and there was a good 7-9 inches in most spots, Fishing was good for me, Landed my first Splake today, and then they multiplyed by 3... ... Heading to Lough, around 10 tomorrow..... With this weather coming up.... time to pull the boat out im thinking...

Tylercurt,
   Hope that Skunk stays very very very far away from me... lol...
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #575 on: Mar 10, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Heading out to Loughborough in the morning to try the Lakers again.  A friend of mine was out this morning and got one around 3lbs.  Lookin like it's going to be a nice day so hopefully their biting. 

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #576 on: Mar 12, 2012, 12:26 PM »
well, how'd you guys do out there on loborough?  I was there on Saturday, I'll put a post up shortly with the pic of the one we managed to ice.

time to start thinking about softwater with this water weather we're having.   ;D
Tight lines

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #577 on: Mar 12, 2012, 01:35 PM »
We ended up with one around 3lbs on Sunday and lost 3, we were done by 9am and headed over to Dog to try the Splake but no luck.  The ice on Dog was getting soft on Sunday so it might not be safe now.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #578 on: Mar 15, 2012, 06:42 AM »
Well boys, it was an alright season.  It was good to meet a few of you.

See you next year!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #579 on: Mar 15, 2012, 07:49 AM »
See you on Myfishfinder.com and hopefully out on the lake  :)
Tight lines

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #580 on: Oct 13, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Well the hard water fishing season is not too far off. Time to get the gear ready: change the line, sharpen the hooks, grease the reels, etc.  Pulled out the sled and ice shanty and fired up the propane auger.  Although it is still a little early better to get prepared before everything freezes up.
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #581 on: Nov 03, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Any recommended motels or B&B's in that area? Won't be long now!  Thanks

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #582 on: Nov 03, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Any recommended motels or B&B's in that area? Won't be long now!  Thanks

What lakes are you looking to fish?
@jzuliniak

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #583 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:08 AM »
I really want to try different lakes in that area, so Verona would or may put me in close access to most. If there's lodging all around that area north of Kingston, it would be even better. The plan is fish 2 to 3 days during the week this winter trying new places everyday. Thanks

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #584 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:46 AM »
I dont know about too many places to rent, but I do pass "Holiday Manor" in Battersea, that will put you on Dog and Loughborough, but I cant speak for the accommodations or price

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #585 on: Nov 05, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I'll going to take a drive down that way soon and get myself sorted out for places to stay. Looks like an interesting area to fish, lots of variety and interesting people to meet. Good thing is it's only 2 1/2 hrs from home, so I can do day trips. Thanks for the info. Dani

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #586 on: Nov 13, 2012, 05:56 AM »
I am going to bay of quinte end of january to target some big eyes.  Any recommendations on where to stay and also is there alot of public access to get out there.  Should I bring a wheeler or a sled or is it easy walking with not alot of distance? 

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #587 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Big Island is good, park at Wagner's farm, Point Ann is good, parking limited, Hay Bay, parking at Sherman’s or Thompsons not bad, Huffs is good but new parking means you have to park up on the road and there is a big ass hill to walk, dam far. You can walk to most places but if you want to get away from the crowds transportation is nice, just watch out for the pressure cracks that will appear. You can give me a shout when it gets closer and I can give you a report on the fishing, did 45 days on the ice last year....lol

Offline jigncraw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #588 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Anyone ever try Long Lake up near Parham? I thought about giving it a try this winter.

Cheers! :)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #589 on: Dec 03, 2012, 06:06 PM »
Since there are quite a few Kingston guys on this board thought I would bump this thread to the top. 

I know the weathernetwork's 14 day forecast has the same scientific validity as a magic 8 ball but since it looks promising after tomorrow I am going to chose to believe it and plan my first ice trip for the weekend of the 15-16th.  Thinking maybe S Otter for Pike & Crappie or Upper Rock for Splake.

Where  is everyone's first stop going to be this year?
@jzuliniak

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #590 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:12 PM »
I`ll probably be giving Dog Lake a first time crack....although it might be a while yet. 
but I`m ready to go.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #591 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Hey Guys, can't wait to get on the ice. I just started fishing Splake this spring so I have never fished for them through the ice. I would like to give Upper Rock a try but I don't know where to get on the lake.  Any helpful info would be very appreciated.

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #592 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:16 AM »
For access to upper rock just follow the road (opinican road) from perth road the access is where the lake comes beside the road just before the bridge. You can`t miss it,  the best fishing seems to be on the road side of the lake.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #593 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:43 PM »
This will probably be our last weekend trolling quinte be and my buddy both have fibreglass boats unless i get brave and pull out the old tinner to break ice

So that being said I took time off Dec 13 and 14th before the weekend and if the weather holds up as expected I will be on the ice those days with my spud floater and ice picks

Before the rain on sunday I did a little early ice hunting and this is what I found with ice over 10 ft of water:

It was only an inch but it would hold my weight

Dog wont be ready for a while I fished it yesterday and water was still over 40 in the bays didnt get any fish either did ok the previous trip tho

I plan to be posting the first iced fish reports around kingston again this year and again my spots will be top secret until we have safe ice everywhere sorry boys
SEOO

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #594 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Sig. I'm looking forward to doing some spake fishin. If anyone feels like showing me the ropes and sharing some tips I would love to join up and give them a try. I have lots of equipment but lack experience with the splake.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #595 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Anyone fish for Whitefish around Kingston?  I have heard that Eagle and Bobs have them, but have never fished those lakes in the winter. 
@jzuliniak

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #596 on: Dec 16, 2012, 11:13 AM »
4-6" on the lakes in Ompah, didn't have my gear with me but checked some lakes and they are good from what I saw Soon as bow hunting ends i'm getting after em'!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #597 on: Dec 16, 2012, 06:49 PM »
Ice junkie, 4-6" in Ompah?  That awesome news!   Did you happen to check out Cananto Lake - that's where my cottage is.  I don't think immgoing to see any ice in Central New York for a while. 

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #598 on: Dec 17, 2012, 04:33 PM »
i did not check cananto, i checked redhorse and granite which I believe is in the relative area of there, i have never fished it though.

Offline Randy L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #599 on: Dec 17, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Hi icejunkie;
I am a new member to the board and have hunted and fished that area since I was a kid. Just wondering how the access to Granite was at this time. It's been a couple years since I have been in that far.
Thanks
Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.