Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 228764 times)

Offline Mav

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #300 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Hey Guys,

As the weather is changing I've got a few more lakes I want to hit before it's too late. I'm looking at either paddy's or tetsmine this Saturday. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two?  I would like to get into some nice trout if possible. Thanks guys

Mav

Offline Medy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #301 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Any good icon Verona still. I have fished some other back lakes and there is still lots of ice.

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #302 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Verona is good lots of fish with worms in them there not the ideal eating fish as far as i'm concerned

Were getting just as nice of pike and way bigger and way more perch out of lake Ont - I like the big lake - big lake = big fish if you can find them

Loughbrough has been good to many; I've only got 1 23" laker so far out of 4 or 5 trips

Dog is consistent for pike haven't gone for splake there yet; smaller pike then verona though but a lot higher quantities from what i've seen

These are the 4 lakes i've been fishing every weekend since we had ice;most of my skunkiness has been on loughbrough or on the BOQ at huffs; If you like fishing all day in hopes of a biggie go there otherwise hit verona, dog or shallow water in the BOQ and ull be on fish in no time

Hope this helps

SEOO

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Mar 04, 2011, 12:21 PM »
2 questions:

I heard some of the old boys talking about Potspoon Lake today, anybody go there?

Why did my previous post get pulled?

Offline cannitro482

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #304 on: Mar 05, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Went to Verona lake this morning . Still lots of ice but you could almost take a canoe with you there is so much water on the ice. Caught 4 decent pike and about 20 perch.. My partner got a 10 lb pike there last sunday

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #305 on: Mar 05, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Verona is good lots of fish with worms in them there not the ideal eating fish as far as i'm concerned
wormy fish in the winter?  that seems odd - never seen a worm in anything but late summer bass!
Tight lines

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone wanna come fishin early tomorow
« Reply #306 on: Mar 05, 2011, 03:45 PM »
I agree fish are gross lookin bt yeah your right i got some biggies in there this wint

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #307 on: Mar 05, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I wonder why they look so nasty from that lake very dark and just packed full of worms

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #308 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:51 AM »
The pike weren't bad the sunfish and perch were bad in verona

I'm looking for any ice reports on kingston back lakes as of Sunday Mar 6th.

I'm mostly wondering about loughbrough(west end), Dog(North end-Hogans), Verona or if anyone has been out to the Hay Bay area of the BOQ after all that rain.

I'm on the lake ontario Bath Road side and there is still a sheet of nice but it is not safely fish able my rivers ice has opened up in several areas with water pouring over the top of it in a lot of spots definitely not travelable. I'm wondering if it's now time to pack the ice fishing gear away and start prepping for spring fishing or if there is safe ice out there anywhere?
SEOO

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #309 on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Im on verona now 16 inches og good ioce

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #310 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:20 PM »
we went to loughbrough lots of ice over 12" in the middle a little sketchier around the outside saw lots of atvs and sleds out there though

watch out for old holes that have melted into bigger holes during the rain or anywhere that water runs into the lake

there were only 3 ppl out fishing on the kepler side on sunday when we got there saw 2 guys on ats with fish but the ppl on the ice got skunked
SEOO

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #311 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Was out this aft, ice was fine and only a few guys on the ice. Got 1 small one but the smelt are moving all over covering the bottom, good thing for flashers. Going again in the morning,
Tim

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #312 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:39 AM »
Laker2011 and I were out on Hogan's last night. The ice is great except for the walk out from the beach. There was a thin sheet that would break with each step resulting in ankle deep water on top of the bottom layer of ice. Once you got about 15 feet out from shore it was good and hard. We also saw two ATV's out there so that gives you an idea of the ice.

Be safe out there!

Offline ultimate tire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #313 on: Apr 02, 2011, 07:01 AM »
hey all, i have a camp on mackie lake. How are the roads and does anyone know if the lake is still locked up? I want to come open my camp soon.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #314 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:58 AM »
Well gang winter is only around the corner. It is time to get the gear out and make sure it is ready before the real cold weather sets in. Change that line on the reels and tip- ups, change the fuel in the auger, check over the batteries in the electronics, check propane levels for the heater, check your portable shacks to make sure there are no tears. The more effort you put into prep, the less problems on the ice!
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #315 on: Nov 15, 2011, 11:18 AM »
I recently started making my Ontario style hut, and have been preparing slowly for the season.  I recently moved to the Colebrook area so will likely be keeping the hut on Hambly, Knowlton or Rock...still deciding, any suggestions?

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #316 on: Nov 15, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Can`t really help you there I assume you are talking permanent shack,  You do not reall sea a lot of them on those lakes mostly  hard sided shacks are on Loborough  or the BOQ.
Maybe ice junky has a better answer
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #317 on: Nov 15, 2011, 02:02 PM »
I was going to go to the BOQ, but it's about 45 minutes drive...don't want to be doing that several times a week...I have had moderate luck on Rock, and like fishing perch and crappie, so thought I could set up a hard sided shack there since it's close...

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #318 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:31 PM »
I think most of the lakes in this area would be the same drive for you, and many of them i would worry about a perm.. i Know the BOQ takes a while to get solid and changes often, I seem to see half sunk huts every season. I see some perms on Dog, but again a hike for you, same with Moira north of Belleville.

Personally your best to fish until you find a spot and lake you want to settle into. If you have success on Rock in a certain spot, then thats where i would start.

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #319 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:02 PM »
does anyone know if there is public access lower rock lake, has anyone fished
draper for splake lately.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #320 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:07 PM »
If you want a lake that constantly produces fish even during the tough weeks in February give Verona Lake a shot. Located right in the village of Verona it has several amenities including gas, convenience store, grocery store, hardware store, and a church (to pray for the fish to bite - hahahaha!). Easy access points off of Hwy 38 especially if you are taking an ice shack on/off the ice. You can catch perch, crappie, pike, and walleye. Great spot!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Well I bought a new toy for this winter ice fishing season - a Micro Aqua Vu camera and handheld monitor. Picked it up in Syracuse at the Bass Pro Shop and can hardly wait to try it out. Will probably end up selling my Aqua Vu Z series camera which is still in great condition and works like new. As they say "tis the season of toys for boys" - woohoo!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #322 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:22 AM »
LS - I added that to my Christmas list, but let me know your opinion of it before Santa orders it......reviews so far have been great!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #323 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Camera and monitor quality are excellent and portability is exceptional overall the full-sized models. Battery capacity is great. If you have it on your Santa list, you will not be disappointed. Hope you have been good this year!

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #324 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:08 AM »
C'MON cold weather!

We put a sky light and bunk bed in our ice shack over the weekend so the cadillac is ready to go, we just need some ice!

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #325 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:10 AM »
Skylight and bunk bed?! I love it! Nice work!!!

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #326 on: Dec 20, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Anyone know if the launch to Loborough at Division St. is frozen over? Laker2011 and I were thinking of getting out for my birthday (or the day before) on the 22nd and 23rd for some lake trout. I would hate to get out there to see it's locked up...I know it's calling for rain and milder temps so this question might be better answered tomorrow.

So, if there is someone out there that happens to be driving by the launch over the next couple days I'd really appreciate an update on it's status!

Thanks!!!
bass_belt

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #327 on: Dec 20, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Anyone know if the launch to Loborough at Division St. is frozen over? Laker2011 and I were thinking of getting out for my birthday (or the day before) on the 22nd and 23rd for some lake trout. I would hate to get out there to see it's locked up...I know it's calling for rain and milder temps so this question might be better answered tomorrow.

So, if there is someone out there that happens to be driving by the launch over the next couple days I'd really appreciate an update on it's status!

Thanks!!!
bass_belt

It was iced in this morning.  I will check tmo night after the warm weather and let you know.
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #328 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Nice, thanks JZ, I appreciate it! :)

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #329 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:47 AM »
Skylight and bunk bed?! I love it! Nice work!!!

Yeah man, and we got one of those PA woodstoves to replace the DIY one we had.  We are also going to get a "toilet" (bucket with a toilet seat lid) so that we can legally drink out there :)  Fournier already spent the night in the hut a couple nights ago to test it out and he was happy as could be.

We should get out with your brother once winter starts, maybe spend the day at my hut making coffee and hot choco and shooting the breeze while the perchies and crappies nibble on some wax worms :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.